House Price Crash Forum

I Can No Longer Buy A House

HOLA441

Due to the insane interest rates for savers backed by the government Take a Haircut scheme I've had to lock all my money away for at least the next 18 months just to get around a 2% return

I now only have enough in the bank to live off for 6 months if I loose my job.

I couldn't now buy a house even if I wanted too, even with the loony vote loosing HTB2 scheme scam.

Savers are as savers do.

The law of unintended consequence continue.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Everywhere !!!!

My list of fixed term bonds is extensive.

Several long term cash ISAs.

I've sold the last of my gold.

I've started using Zopa ( made 11p do far ), money tied up for 5 years.

I've put a little money into Funding Circle.

I have a wedge in NS&I bonds.

My get at fast cash is in Premium bonds 1.3% tax free, now a must for any higher rate tax payer ).

If the current madness continues we am leaving the country and as the above matures moving it off shore.

I have no desire to buy a house now...it's a fair bet now it will be the governments preferred taxation cash cow in the future.

HOLA445

The most sensible places to loan money at the moment seem to be Virgin for ISAs (3% on a 5 year fix, but with the opportunity for early withdrawals at a cost of 180 days interest - making it better than the 2% alternatives as long as you plan on holding it for 18 months or more), and Santander's '123' current account for non-ISAs, also paying 3% if you can be bothered to jump through the hoops and pay the £24 a year fee.

Since firstdirect dropped their rates last month, there don't seem to be any easy access ISAs that offer a real return.

HOLA446

The most sensible places to loan money at the moment seem to be Virgin for ISAs (3% on a 5 year fix, but with the opportunity for early withdrawals at a cost of 180 days interest - making it better than the 2% alternatives as long as you plan on holding it for 18 months or more), and Santander's '123' current account for non-ISAs, also paying 3% if you can be bothered to jump through the hoops and pay the £24 a year fee.

Since firstdirect dropped their rates last month, there don't seem to be any easy access ISAs that offer a real return.

I went for one of these:

http://www.leedsbuildingsociety.co.uk/pressoffice/press-release/press-release-19-09-2013.html

If the interest rates don't go up for 2 years I'd not loose much.

HOLA447
HOLA448

Bank of East Asia UK branch offers 2.5% instant access on cash ISA balances over £40,000

Planning to pay them a visit tomorrow to invite them to take over from First Direct (previously paying 3% on >£40,000, cut to 2% with effect from 1st November)

Last year I was with Natwest at 3.5% easy access, this is really starting to annoy me now!

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I am also out of the game. I am set to have a house fall into my hands mortgage free from the ether. If it had not so fallen, I would have departed these shores. I still may. It is the knowledge that even though I now have a house mortgage and rent free, my future children will still be snared by the evil that is the UK housing market. I would prefer them (once they exist) to have space to mature and develop, not feel pressed down upon by some rentier scum or letting agent scum and made to feel they are not quite human like they tried to for me for the last few of years, even though I earned more than them and my career pays more than CPI and HPI combined. Now I despise this country, and even the great deeds of the great war seem like it was another country to be honest. Who else here feels the same?

HOLA4412

I'm about to take the plunge in January and sell my 2 bed flat in N London and buy in SE London.

Maxi ISA has been doing well, cash ISA has been poor and as for the gold, let's just not talk about it <_<

My flat has been valued at £500k which is up £100k+ since a year ago, plus SE London seems to be going up exponentially over the last year but is still the only inner London area where you can get a 4 bedder for less than £750k

I guess I was lucky to have bought my flat in 2006 for £247k with a 25% deposit and I can now get a ten year fix for 3.89% which works out very cheap on a £300k mortgage for a £600k 4 bed house.

I've given up on the idea of saving up a load of £££ and waiting for a drop which isn't going to come in the next year.

HOLA4413

even the great deeds of the great war seem like it was another country to be honest. Who else here feels the same?

Of course it was. Nearly nobody left who was alive during it, nobody alive who fought in it, those who did had a completely different set of values and expectations in life. It would be bizarre if things were as they were in 1914!

HOLA4414

Of course it was. Nearly nobody left who was alive during it, nobody alive who fought in it, those who did had a completely different set of values and expectations in life. It would be bizarre if things were as they were in 1914!

So why bother? If everyone is so renewed and trendy and beamed straight in from the planet Now, how about we not bother next time and not have a generation of young men utterly decimated?

As long as we all get to consume the latest Lily Allen video, itz all good innit?

HOLA4415
HOLA4416