House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DTMark

Under The Dome

I seem to watch this every week. Mind you it's on series record, so it's always there waiting.

Stephen King's novels don't have a history of translating to TV or film very well the obvious exceptions being Carrie and Misery.

Yet, he's a great storyteller and my impression of this one is that it's less about the revelation of what the dome is about and more about the characters.

I did get the audio book but never got around to investing the 40 hours or whatever it was in listening to it. So I saw the TV adaptation and thought "Great".

Except it's not really, is it.

None of the acting is particularly good. None of the characters are well defined or, important for a long running series - likeable. Probably the most strongly acted and drawn one is "Junior" and even he's not all that convincing.

It's, er, windy inside the dome. The trees keep shaking. I can believe the dome is high enough for it to rain inside. But what is generating the wind?

Both King and Spielberg were involved in this. It has everything going for it. And yet, apart from the fact that nothing much ever actually happens, there isn't really anything to commend about it. There are contestants from Big Brother from a decade ago that are more memorable than most of the characters who have died so far.

It has all the raw charm of having your head smashed in with a car jack. And yet I keep watching it. Why? Is anyone else watching this? And if so, do you know why?

Yes, we've watched it. Unusually, we've more or less been keeping up with it, and watched Monday's finale episode yesterday.

It was okay I guess. The 'finale' was really just a cliffhanger, so I assume it'll be back. If I notice it, I might even watch the next series.

Have low expectations of it (which it sounds like you've got sorted) and it'll probably only narrowly fail to fulfil them. :)

Yes, we've watched it. Unusually, we've more or less been keeping up with it, and watched Monday's finale episode yesterday.

It was okay I guess. The 'finale' was really just a cliffhanger, so I assume it'll be back. If I notice it, I might even watch the next series.

Have low expectations of it (which it sounds like you've got sorted) and it'll probably only narrowly fail to fulfil them. :)

It was supposed to be a one off series with a big reveal at the end of the current run, but of course any success and the American TV executives push things further and it's carrying on.

It for me is the biggest failure with American TV, basically flogging a dead horse. Great TV for me is all about story telling, yet the Americans utterly fail in that regard as everything becomes a long draw out soap opera. Pretty much any decent series has been pushed to breaking point when stopping after the original story have been told would be the right thing to do.

It was supposed to be a one off series with a big reveal at the end of the current run, but of course any success and the American TV executives push things further and it's carrying on.

It for me is the biggest failure with American TV, basically flogging a dead horse. Great TV for me is all about story telling, yet the Americans utterly fail in that regard as everything becomes a long draw out soap opera. Pretty much any decent series has been pushed to breaking point when stopping after the original story have been told would be the right thing to do.

Prison Break has to be the most extreme example of this. The first season is a work of genius, and in the finale the story has run its course. In fairness there is enough to make a different type of show as a follow on, delving into a political conspiracy, but instead they just reset the situation.They made a further 3 seasons that start bad and get worse.

Guest eight

Stephen King's novels don't have a history of translating to TV or film very well the obvious exceptions being Carrie and Misery.

The first part of It is probably one of the creepiest things I've ever seen. The second part..... pah.

I started reading Under The Dome on holiday a few years back, but had to leave it back at reception before I finished (although I could have just nicked it I suppose). All I kept thinking was, after the Simpsons movie, you just wouldn't go there. Would you?

And that little indie that nobody saw, The Shawshank Redemption ;)

Seen a few , really not fussed to see any more , it felt like the episode's were just fillers for the reveal of the hook at the end with totally unengaging character's without any personal investment of whether they live or die.

Nice big houses though.

It should right up my street though as I like scifi..its my fave genre. Not worth the effort of zipping through the seemingly increasingly lengthening advertising.

Guest eight

Seen a few , really not fussed to see any more , it felt like the episode's were just fillers for the reveal of the hook at the end with totally unengaging character's without any personal investment of whether they live or die.

Nice big houses though.

It should right up my street though as I like scifi..its my fave genre. Not worth the effort of zipping through the seemingly increasingly lengthening advertising.

Can I just spoil it for everybody by saying that it's some kind of malevolent extra-terrestrial intelligence treating the inhabitants of a small town like bugs in a petri dish.

Can I just spoil it for everybody by saying that it's some kind of malevolent extra-terrestrial intelligence treating the inhabitants of a small town like bugs in a petri dish.

what I find about lefty US TV is that only the people in charge have any sense at all..everyone else has to be kept in the dark and only exist to be killed off. I think this is known in Trekkie circles as red shirt syndrome.

I seem to watch this every week. Mind you it's on series record, so it's always there waiting.

Yet, he's a great storyteller and my impression of this one is that it's less about the revelation of what the dome is about and more about the characters.

I did get the audio book but never got around to investing the 40 hours or whatever it was in listening to it. So I saw the TV adaptation and thought "Great".

Except it's not really, is it.

None of the acting is particularly good. None of the characters are well defined or, important for a long running series - likeable. Probably the most strongly acted and drawn one is "Junior" and even he's not all that convincing.

It's, er, windy inside the dome. The trees keep shaking. I can believe the dome is high enough for it to rain inside. But what is generating the wind?

Both King and Spielberg were involved in this. It has everything going for it. And yet, apart from the fact that nothing much ever actually happens, there isn't really anything to commend about it. There are contestants from Big Brother from a decade ago that are more memorable than most of the characters who have died so far.

It has all the raw charm of having your head smashed in with a car jack. And yet I keep watching it. Why? Is anyone else watching this? And if so, do you know why?

Isn't The Shining with Jack Nicholson by King?

I hadn't realised it was based on a Stephen King novel. I 've been watching it and assuming it was based on John Wyndham's "The Midwich Cuckoos".

Nice big houses though.

+1

People say what a prolific writer is he but looking at stuff like this he appears to have churned out some cr*p IMPO.

I've watched a few usually having it on in the background whilst I did other stuff - totall unengaging characters. Someone could go around the town with a shotgun taking pot-shots and, well, probably would be for the best.

I've lost interest in Homeland also - was gripped for series 1, still eagerly watched series 2 but now I can't be bothered. The CIA had a melt-down in the first episode of this series and I found it very harrowing so I just switched off and haven't gone back.

Not familiar with this "Under The Dome" series myself - is the Earth being taken over by mutant nob-cheese by any chance...?

XYY

I am watching Under The Dome in France its on every Thursday night on M6.

Tomorrow night i will watch episodes 7 and 8 i don't mind watching this show its okay its far better than a tv series thats called Top of the Lake.

I don't know if its been shown in the UK but its put me off going to New Zealand forever.

Some good spots for King's work here - when I first saw The Shawshank Redemption I thought it was the best film I'd ever seen, although I think for me Fight Club just pips it.

There was another one which went on for hours with some green stuff in the woods - Tommyknockers I think.

That and this come across a bit like none of the actors or directors have ever read the book and started on day one chapter one page one - film that. Right, next scene. Film that. And so on. As if nobody developed a "screenplay" to condense all those pages of prose into something that had a narrative and which was cohesive and "flowed" properly in TV format.

The series is probably going to be as long as the audiobook, but then when you have visuals you don't need all the description type stuff and so you'd imagine it would be very much shorter when told in visual format.

There's also some really weird behaviour. If you haven't seen this, basically a whole town is surrounded suddenly by an impenetrable dome and in the centre of that dome is another mini-dome containing an egg. The "egg" or the creatures who are responsible for it, are responsible for the dome.

Now in the last episode last night the mini dome cracked and broke. The cast are all indoors and cannot see the outer dome.

Now based on that, what might you or I immediately go and verify at that point? Would you perhaps pop your head outside and have a look? I think you might. Nobody does that.

It's quite frustrating because all this aside, I can see myself reading the book at some point. It's described as King's "masterpiece" and I can see where he was going with it, it just hasn't been very well realised on screen. There is to be a second series which I suspect might conclude it unless they stretch it out even more, but I wonder whether those who watched the first will bother returning for the second.

Guest eight

Some good spots for King's work here - when I first saw The Shawshank Redemption I thought it was the best film I'd ever seen, although I think for me Fight Club just pips it.

He wrote The Green Mile too. The film is much, much better than the book.

John Wyndham wrote the midwich cuckoos in the 1950s...made into a couple of films thats about as long as you want a story about an alien dome over a village.

Yes. And Stand By Me.

Indeed.

Was in the same three short story collection as Shawshank.

Read all three and can't remember ever seeing the third in film. Was about some old guy who had Nazi stuff in his house. If i remember right.

John Wyndham wrote the midwich cuckoos in the 1950s...made into a couple of films thats about as long as you want a story about an alien dome over a village.

Dr Who had a good take on this in Dr Who & The Daemons. Very creepy with some Saturday teatime devil worshipping going on.

Christine was a far better read than the film too......

Heh ......30 years old

Christine was supposed to be a Plymouth Fury, but actually is was a Belvedere (slightly lower spec). 26 were smashed up in the making of this film!