House Price Crash Forum

£100 To Remove A Traffic Cone?

juvenal

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

You know those white plastic bollards that are lit up at night on traffic islands - the ones that tell you to keep left or right and warn you of the kerb/island in the road?

In the early 1980s I was told by a chap who claimed to be a council engineer that he would get £80 each time he was called out to put one back up if it had got blown over in the wind. He claimed to do several per week and was paid this on top of his salary/perks/pension.

£80 per bollard in the 1980s!!!!!

The guy must now be retired on a fat pension and a house worth a fortune.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

A friend of a friend took out about 20m of metal railings with his car a while back. He was told they cost £13K to replace.

I smashed up a stretch dual carriageway crash barrier over ten years ago. I was uninjured (bar a bit of shock) but my car was a write-off. That didn't overmuch concern me as it only cost about £1k. However my dad pointed out that the council was likely to charge for it. As I hadn't reported it to my insurers at the time (nobody else involved) I was fretting as to whether they would pay out.

I drove past it being repaired over the next week and was mentally calculating the cost of each day's work :( I never heard anything and I think by now I would have :)

£100 sounds slightly steep but I would have guessed £50 - £60. The cost is in the call-out rather than waht they're actually doing.

HOLA4411

I smashed up a stretch dual carriageway crash barrier over ten years ago. I was uninjured (bar a bit of shock) but my car was a write-off. That didn't overmuch concern me as it only cost about £1k. However my dad pointed out that the council was likely to charge for it. As I hadn't reported it to my insurers at the time (nobody else involved) I was fretting as to whether they would pay out.

I drove past it being repaired over the next week and was mentally calculating the cost of each day's work :( I never heard anything and I think by now I would have :)

£100 sounds slightly steep but I would have guessed £50 - £60. The cost is in the call-out rather than waht they're actually doing.

I suppose the true cost depends if they had dozens of other things to do in the area and whether it was a case of just taking it down whilst passing or not.

edit: perhaps two guys in a van/truck going around doing their jobs for a day and taking the cone down was one of ten things done that day for example and put down in the their notes (if notes are taken, I dunno) cost of employing two guys / van/ administration/ paper work etc say average £1000 a day - divided by ten = £100? who knows...

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

They should simply remodel the statue, giving Wellington a bigger head, so a cone won't fit.

Or perhaps, huuuuuuuuuge ears.

Even better idea: A sprung cranium, that can be wound in from the base of the statue, which can spring out and throw off the cone.

Or a cone drone, radio-controlled to lift off the cone.

Archived