House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Imf Says One-Million Jobs Gap In Gcc Risks More Unemployment

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-11-12/imf-says-one-million-jobs-gap-in-gcc-risks-more-unemployment.html

One million nationals of oil-rich Gulf Arabs states may be jobless or seeking careers in a bloated public sector by 2018 unless measures are taken to create more private sector jobs, the International Monetary Fund said.

Private companies in the six-member Gulf Cooperation Council are expected to generate 600,000 jobs, one million less than the number of nationals likely to come into the labor market, Masood Ahmed, head of the Middle East and Central Asia department at the IMF, told a news conference in Dubai today.

“Most countries know now that the model of simply employing nationals in the GCC in the public sector is not a model that’s sustainable, because the public sector is running out of jobs to provide, because it’s not improving productivity,” he said. “It’s just a measure of the challenge going forward.”

Oil rich and no private sector economy.

because the public sector is running out of jobs to provide, because it’s not improving productivity

I keep coming across this meme and it bother's me- either I'm missing something or the logic of this idea is seriously out of whack.

In my mind 'improving productivity' means less jobs, not more jobs- for the obvious reason that if a workforce becomes more productive-all other things being equal- you now need less workers, not more workers.

Surely what creates more jobs is not more productivity but more demand- not that this would even apply to public sector jobs anyway since there is no real market involved. But even in the private sector simply increasing productivity will not in itself create jobs- only increasing demand will do that.

So why do apparently intelligent experts and government officials keep repeating this blatant absurdity?