House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rave

Phillipines Typhoon

It's now very clear that the typhoon has caused a huge disaster, and of course as a hand-wringing liberal westerner I'd like to try and contribute at least a small amount to trying to put people back on their feet. I was thinking £100, or just under a third of my 'winnings' from the Royal Mail flotation.

How best to do it? My first thought was DEC, but they're frustratingly wooly about where the money goes. Is there a way of ensuring that all* my donation goes to the Phillipines? Maybe MSF? They always strike me as a sound lot. Quick answers please, I plan on making my donation tomorrow before work, otherwise it'll be a bit late.

* less any charity's running costs of course (which I know are 15-20%, I'm not an idiot, but then Gift Aid covers that anyway)

Bit drunk now. The point I am trying to make is that I would like as much of my money as is practically possible to go directly towards helping Fillipinos who have lost everything. I don't want any of it to be diverted into larger scale charitable initiatives which I am leery of, having been to Africa and witnessed firsthand 1) the effects of widespread corruption and government uselessness and 2) the efficiency with which money gets spent when you bypass all that and give it direct to honest people who know what they're doing.

Anyway- the Red Cross? Opinions please. Hopefully a few others here are moved by what has happened and want to help, as directly as possible.

I recall MSF announcing that it had received as much money as it could use after the 2004 Tsunami, rather than continuing to accept tsunami relief donations and trousering the surplus into a general spending pool.

They got some stick for that.

Personally, I thought it was quite refreshing.

Buy yourself a few T-shirts from Primark.

Some of my mates in Saudi are going to blow their wads in Bahrain next weekend. Given the number of Filipino hookers in Manama they have their own special way of providing disaster relief for Typhoon Haiyan.

Some of my mates in Saudi are going to blow their wads in Bahrain next weekend. Given the number of Filipino hookers in Manama they have their own special way of providing disaster relief for Typhoon Haiyan.

I am afraid I have met the "rather less than Gentlemen" who behave like that! It's a serious subject, and I know I can be very silly, but loads of people died! :blink::blink: Looks horrible! :unsure:

Very gentlemanly of them :D

Shelter box is a very practical charity., no big overheads, they just get their life saving kit on the ground where needed ASAP.

Do you have a view on their overheads/cost structure? Can't see from their website. We want to give some money, and they are the frontrunner so far.....

Shelter box is a very practical charity., no big overheads, they just get their life saving kit on the ground where needed ASAP.

+1

Not sure what they're doing just now, but I expect they're in action.

I *think* MSF is another worthy cause here.

A few years ago Mr B took a cab across the causeway to Bahrain. The Bahraini cabbie was fuming about the hypocrisy of the Saudis coming over for the hookers. He told Mr B how he had just that day taken a young Saudi couple to a Bahraini hotel ('the wife was so beautiful, with a face like the moon' ) and how the husband had told him to wait while he checked in, and then had himself taken straight to the red light district. He told mr b he hated them, more for the rank hypocrisy than anything else.

A few years ago Mr B took a cab across the causeway to Bahrain. The Bahraini cabbie was fuming about the hypocrisy of the Saudis coming over for the hookers. He told Mr B how he had just that day taken a young Saudi couple to a Bahraini hotel ('the wife was so beautiful, with a face like the moon' ) and how the husband had told him to wait while he checked in, and then had himself taken straight to the red light district. He told mr b he hated them, more for the rank hypocrisy than anything else.

+1

The majority oppressed Shias hate the fact that they are used by the Saudi's as their pimps.

Last year i made a small donation to UNICEF it was only 20 euros a month later i started to recieve letters asking for more cash.

Then they started to telephone me hoping that i would sign up for a monthly payment which i refused.

I don't mind giving to a charity that i consider as a good cause but i learnt a lesson with UNICEF.

Today i still give but its cash in the box or food outside of a supermarket i don't want the hassle of phone calls and e mails just because i signed up to make a small donation.

Last year i made a small donation to UNICEF it was only 20 euros a month later i started to recieve letters asking for more cash.

Then they started to telephone me hoping that i would sign up for a monthly payment which i refused.

I don't mind giving to a charity that i consider as a good cause but i learnt a lesson with UNICEF.

Today i still give but its cash in the box or food outside of a supermarket i don't want the hassle of phone calls and e mails just because i signed up to make a small donation.

+1

Being targeted because I've donated irritates me and makes me want to stop donating to the charity concerned.

Yep. I'd never give a charity my name and address!

If you want to give more than one-off small cash, take a look at the Charities Aid Foundation. They deal with the red tape and reclaiming tax, and you just decide how much you want to budget and who/when you pay. Because CAF deals with reclaiming gift aid, you have no reason to give the charities details like an address they'd then use to spam you.

If your employer will play, you can pay into CAF direct from payroll for maximum tax-efficiency and minimum red tape.

I never give to UNICEF any more,not after hearing from a horse's mouth about their staggering incompetence in a time of urgent crisis (drought and cholera) in a very poor part of the world. Horse's mouth who told me was fuming. It was something that should have been so simple to organise, too.

Also, employees of any arm of the UN tend to be very highly paid compared to counterparts in similar orgs. My horse's mouth has also fumed about FAO employees on 10K euros a month arrogantly interfering with a post tsunami project that was going fine, until they stuck their we-know-best oar in.*

I donate regularly to several charities but do get fed up with the constant demands for more. And today I had a letter thanking me for a donation - makes a change but what a waste of money! I would never give any of them a phone number, though.

*edit, if anyone's interested, it was some of those massive fishponds you see if you fly over coastal SE Asia. Of course they were all filled with mud and debris and my horse's mouth was in charge of getting them viable again - a lot of livelihoods depended on them. Of course it took a lot of time and hard work mostly by the locals (who were meantime paid for their work by the charity) , plus of course money. Locals were uneducated and often illiterate but they understood the management of these things perfectly well.

Nearly ready to go, and in swan the FAO bods, saying that the baby fish they intended to introduce must not be used. They had to use much more expensive baby fish from somewhere else, which were certified, etc. etc. Locals protested that they had always used these baby fish and they were fine - fish from elsewhere might not be suited to the water.

They would not listen,so in came these other mini fishes at a lot more expense - thousands upon thousands of them - and within a few hours they were all dead. Crushing disappointment all round, and they had to start again.

I never give to UNICEF any more,not after hearing from a horse's mouth about their staggering incompetence in a time of urgent crisis (drought and cholera) in a very poor part of the world. Horse's mouth who told me was fuming. It was something that should have been so simple to organise, too.

Also, employees of any arm of the UN tend to be very highly paid compared to counterparts in similar orgs. My horse's mouth has also fumed about FAO employees on 10K euros a month arrogantly interfering with a post tsunami project that was going fine, until they stuck their we-know-best oar in.

I donate regularly to several charities but do get fed up with the constant demands for more. And today I had a letter thanking me for a donation - makes a change but what a waste of money! I would never give any of them a phone number, though.

I have also heard from reliable sources about the UN. Apparently competence varies substantially from UN org to UN org and is often determined by who is in the hot seat. The problem is the endless bureaucracy and also politics - people who start competent end up being swallowed by the machine and petty tribalism.

There's a charity called charity: water which has an interesting model - there are two bank accounts, one for digging wells and one for overheads. Public donations only go for well digging, overheads are covered through corporate sponsorship et al. It's a smart idea, I don't understand why more don't do it.

Last year i was out with the family doing the usual weekend shopping in a shopping center and UNICEF had a stand and they were selling raffle tickets and other objects such as toys for chldren.

We bought four raffle tickets at 5 euros each but the winner would not be known until the week after as they wanted to sell as many tickets over two weekends.

I let the kids and you had no choice unless you did not want to win write down the details such as telephone numbers et al.

Then a month later they started to hassle me.

I did not win anything and i suppose that you could also say that its a way of looking for future clients who are prepared to pay every month.

The United Nations International Emergency Childrens Fund are not a charity in the sense of charity shops that you have in the UK but i was surprised by there methods.

Last year i was out with the family doing the usual weekend shopping in a shopping center and UNICEF had a stand and they were selling raffle tickets and other objects such as toys for chldren.

We bought four raffle tickets at 5 euros each but the winner would not be known until the week after as they wanted to sell as many tickets over two weekends.

I let the kids and you had no choice unless you did not want to win write down the details such as telephone numbers et al.

Then a month later they started to hassle me.

I did not win anything and i suppose that you could also say that its a way of looking for future clients who are prepared to pay every month.

The United Nations International Emergency Childrens Fund are not a charity in the sense of charity shops that you have in the UK but i was surprised by there methods.

I am bombarded with raffles for various charities, post often consists of sod all else, and the stubs nearly always ask for a phone no but I never give it.

Several yrs ago I was accosted by a chugger in Oxford st wanting direct debits for a charity for the blind. Well, I was feeling generous so I signed up for a few £ a month. Chugger asked for a phone no and also wanted to know my age. I declined the first on the grounds that I didn't want anyone phoning me, and the second on the grounds that it was irrelevant and none of their business. Chugger said that was fine.

Roll on a couple of weeks and I get a letter from the charity saying they are 'unable' to process my 'application' - (anyone would think I was asking them for money! ) - without this information, so would I kindly provide it.

Needless to say the letter went in the bin amid colourful curses at their cheek - and the money started coming out of my a/c anyway.

I've tended to donate to the Red Cross in similar situations. I've just donated directly to their Philippines branch.

http://ushare.redcross.org.ph/

Good on the MSF as well. Honesty and transparency are key to any charitable organisation.

Thanks for the link. I've just donated via this method. :)

Once I figured out the exchange rate of the Philipino Peso. :D

I've tended to donate to the Red Cross in similar situations. I've just donated directly to their Philippines branch.

http://ushare.redcross.org.ph/

Good on the MSF as well. Honesty and transparency are key to any charitable organisation.

I support the British Red Cross because I think they provide a good explanation for why they need cash and how much they spend on directors' saleries etc.

I've encountered Médecins Sans Frontières people in various parts of the world. Truly, they had the very best of intentions but the kindest word to describe them would be amateurish.

I support the British Red Cross because I think they provide a good explanation for why they need cash and how much they spend on directors' saleries etc.

I've encountered Médecins Sans Frontières people in various parts of the world. Truly, they had the very best of intentions but the kindest word to describe them would be amateurish.

Right then, as it's just too hard to choose, I'm going to fly out there with USD2000 in my pocket and drop it 20$ at a time out of a helicopter!

Flippancy aside, I really hate this- as someone with more money than I actually need (right now at least - I don't own a house of course), I want so much to help by sharing some of it, but I'm so paralysed by the fear of my money being pissed up the wall that I actually end up giving a fairly trivial amount and then fretting about it. I don't think I'm being good by giving 10% of my monthly take home as a one-off- I really think it's the least I can do, and I could afford to give much more. Maybe I should just be less cynical and be happy with a least half of what I donate making a difference. Gah :angry: