House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
rollover

The Real Cost Of A House

With building, labour and administration costs coming in at £164,421, plus a land price of £77,400 the total cost of building the average family home in Leeds is £241,821. That gives a pre-tax profit of £54,443 per house. Link

5e4370e2-5e19-47f6-8f11-60762c044faf_house-infographic-large.jpg

With building, labour and administration costs coming in at £164,421, plus a land price of £77,400 the total cost of building the average family home in Leeds is £241,821. That gives a pre-tax profit of £54,443 per house. Link

5e4370e2-5e19-47f6-8f11-60762c044faf_house-infographic-large.jpg

I doubt the material costs are that high for a large site and the smaller homes the big house builders are building. I would also say that the cost of land and profit margins are too high. Hence, still room for prices to decine!

I liked the little cob house the guy built for one hundred and fifty quid on george Clarke's amazing spaces.

Maybe get him to build an upmarket 2/3 bedroom one for ten grand material costs and twenty grand for his labour.

My father in law was saying they used to work to one third land, one third materials and one third profit (but I assume that includes your labour to be deducted). He hasn't built one for good few years though and his comment was as much to illustrate how things have changed.

Must depend where you are though. A terrace in Kensington costs the same to build a one in Liverpool. You won't sell the latter for £10m though.

I've been looking at land recently and you don't get a lot for £300k in a commutable distance to London. That will obviously leave land the biggest contributor.

I've found this to be more accurate:

http://www.homebuilding.co.uk/system/files/Build_Cost_Table_August_2013.pdf

For 120sqm in Leeds, build cost would be ~£110K if a main contractor does it all for you. If land costs £77K, total is £187K. (I'm doing the DIY+Subbies approach for a 100sqm project at £800/sqm.)

A detached house with 120sqm internal area is plenty big enough for a family. However, £187K is a way too much money for an average income household.

One thing rarely mentioned on here is that materials prices are getting very expensive (related to energy costs). Even if land prices dropped to zero, it would still cost £117K, just about affordable on say a £35K joint income. Building regs for new projects are getting very expensive to meet e.g. Foundation and insulation depths (heat/sound).

I've been using the last of my cash to buy building materials by the truckload, for current and future projects. I've officially started one project now so it will be done under 2013 regulations rather than the 2016 rules which will be very hard to meet.

£300k houses sit on £77k parcels of land do they? Pull the other one.

High density new build, 14 houses per acre, £million per acre. Not unusual but 12-13 per acre average more likely.

A £300K self-build on say a third of an acre for £77K, not unless its in the middle of nowhere.

Numbers may seem reasonable enough for a new build but what about if I want to buy an older property?

No need for labour costs as it is already built, bricks, roof materials that have been subject to weathering for 80 years.

Classic guitars, cars, rare antiques fair enough for inflation... but bricks. wow.

I've found this to be more accurate:

http://www.homebuilding.co.uk/system/files/Build_Cost_Table_August_2013.pdf

For 120sqm in Leeds, build cost would be ~£110K if a main contractor does it all for you. If land costs £77K, total is £187K. (I'm doing the DIY+Subbies approach for a 100sqm project at £800/sqm.)

A detached house with 120sqm internal area is plenty big enough for a family. However, £187K is a way too much money for an average income household.

One thing rarely mentioned on here is that materials prices are getting very expensive (related to energy costs). Even if land prices dropped to zero, it would still cost £117K, just about affordable on say a £35K joint income. Building regs for new projects are getting very expensive to meet e.g. Foundation and insulation depths (heat/sound).

I've been using the last of my cash to buy building materials by the truckload, for current and future projects. I've officially started one project now so it will be done under 2013 regulations rather than the 2016 rules which will be very hard to meet.

Interesting. I'd not thought of building costs relative to income. S

I was reading up on Huf Hauses recently, they were starting at £220 sq foot build cost, so more like £2,200/m2