House Price Crash Forum

The Great House Price Bubble?

HOLA441

Really?? 54% of people do NOT think that house prices are too expensive in their area. And this includes I guess people who rent, people who bought recently, people who bought a while ago, people who want to trade up, people who want to sell and people who want to buy and 54% of these people think house prices are NOT too high.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

This was the worst bit for me. The teacher (allegedly) who had no idea that interest rates were the lowest they'd been for 300+ years? Seriously? With this level of obliviousness it's no wonder we're in this mess. And I really wanted to punch that housing minister.

He doesn't seem too bright. Perhaps he's a patsy, selected to take the flak when it goes tits up.

HOLA444

This should be mandatory viewing for baby boomers.

I,m going to make the in laws watch this and have them never tell me again how expensive their first house on twice one salary was.

^ defo this.

I've been having lots of heated arguments (I'm living at home) about not buying now. It seems to me that my parents are more likely to appreciate it if it's being reported in the mainstream media (and Panorama is a 'reputable' programme).

Still, that said, doesn't solve the problem. I want a house and I want it now so I can enjoy living a little. But, equally, listening to the bloke who got repossessed in Ireland helped me manage my emotions of not getting to eager to run in and get burnt...

HOLA445

A reasonable enough attempt, for the BBC anyway, at showing the problems in the housing market, but not nearly enough of a deserved kicking for HTB or even a slightly decent grilling of the Housing minister for my liking.

Asking £250k for a tiny 2 bed flat... sold for £320k. :wacko:

How can ANYBODY in their right mind see that situation as anything other than absolutely INSANE?

HOLA446

the presenter appears to think he's Rocky...

Isn't it the guy who used to be on that BBC2 lunchtime money programme? (the one with Adrian Chiles as the main presenter). I always thought he seemed to be the one who knew what he was talking about.

I could of course be entirely mixing people up!

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

^ defo this.

I've been having lots of heated arguments (I'm living at home) about not buying now. It seems to me that my parents are more likely to appreciate it if it's being reported in the mainstream media (and Panorama is a 'reputable' programme).

Still, that said, doesn't solve the problem. I want a house and I want it now so I can enjoy living a little. But, equally, listening to the bloke who got repossessed in Ireland helped me manage my emotions of not getting to eager to run in and get burnt...

It baffles me how so many of my generation can be this ignorant. I can remember what I was earning at the time and what I paid for my first house. I know that relative to todays prices and wages my house was very cheap. I tell the young people in my family 'rent and let the landlord take the downside risk'. I feel for them though. I enjoyed buying my first house and setting up home with my first wife. I want them to feel as good as I did.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

It baffles me how so many of my generation can be this ignorant. I can remember what I was earning at the time and what I paid for my first house. I know that relative to todays prices and wages my house was very cheap. I tell the young people in my family 'rent and let the landlord take the downside risk'. I feel for them though. I enjoyed buying my first house and setting up home with my first wife. I want them to feel as good as I did.

Made me chortle.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Well as the survey said 54% of people do NOT think house prices are too expensive their area and this includes renters who are IIRC 33% of the population ... they accept the situation and look forward to the day they can buy and start getting the free money. No wonder George made the statement about HPI making everyone happy ... he is 100% spot on as most people do not think house prices are too expensive.

Hey man....careful a bubble doesn`t form in your acid...man.

HOLA4415

Really?? 54% of people do NOT think that house prices are too expensive in their area. And this includes I guess people who rent, people who bought recently, people who bought a while ago, people who want to trade up, people who want to sell and people who want to buy and 54% of these people think house prices are NOT too high.

I still think sentiment is changing. I only saw the last third of the program but nothing like what I saw would have made it to the tv for most of the last 10 years. I didn't say we were there yet.

HOLA4416

We are not 1920s Germany and why will there be a crash?? Most people do not think property is too expensive.

I don't care what most people think. Most people would jump off a cliff if they saw enough others doing it. They will continue to pay as much as they can borrow, regardless of value for money, until they can't borrow enough and then prices will fall...... hard. Lambs to the slaughter.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

We are not 1920s Germany and why will there be a crash?? Most people do not think property is too expensive.

People thought that no harm would come to them right up until they arrived at the concentration camps. I am not meaning to sound melodramatic as, frankly, that would be an insult to many millions. But I genuinely fear that the massive debt that the UK has will one day take this country down a dark path.

Look at tonight's programme - most people do not realise how fecked they are re their mortgages and they know nothing of ghe state of this country's finances. Who will they look to blame when it all goes gits up.

On BBC 4 TV now is 'Hotel Folly' about UK house prices just starting.

HOLA4419

People thought that no harm would come to them right up until they arrived at the concentration camps. I am not meaning to sound melodramatic as, frankly, that would be an insult to many millions. But I genuinely fear that the massive debt that the UK has will one day take this country down a dark path.

Look at tonight's programme - most people do not realise how fecked they are re their mortgages and they know nothing of ghe state of this country's finances. Who will they look to blame when it all goes gits up.

On BBC 4 TV now is 'Hotel Folly' about UK house prices just starting.

That reminds me, must clean my gun.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Yes interesting Bbc4 now has a new documentary starting about the pitfalls of debt/property etc.

Younger lot coming through the ranks without the same preconceptions as their elders ?

Maybe the move up north has also made a wee difference.

Them again - maybe not. They have to put out at least a few balanced shows to deflect from criticism.

HOLA4422

The problem is that yes you are correct but the government of whatever colour will do whatever is necessary to keep prices high. Hands up all those who saw FLS coming .... and those who saw HtB 1 .... and those who saw a conservative led government introduce HtB 2. Cheapest mortgage is now 1.49% and could get even lower and 54% of people do not think property is too expensive ... shows how effective MSM is and how many will buy into the propaganda and the bubble has been blown for over 10 years now and no one wants to be in charge when it pops so whatever it takes to prop it up will be done irrespective of what it does to the UK economy and its people.

All politicians will prop up and ramp houses prices out of fear of losing the election so they will keep kicking the can until the markets rebel... but the bankers love the free money so will not rebel. This is the road to hyperinflation and worse.

HOLA4423

So it take it they asked everyone ?

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

The problem is that yes you are correct but the government of whatever colour will do whatever is necessary to keep prices high. Hands up all those who saw FLS coming .... and those who saw HtB 1 .... and those who saw a conservative led government introduce HtB 2. Cheapest mortgage is now 1.49% and could get even lower and 54% of people do not think property is too expensive ... shows how effective MSM is and how many will buy into the propaganda and the bubble has been blown for over 10 years now and no one wants to be in charge when it pops so whatever it takes to prop it up will be done irrespective of what it does to the UK economy and its people.

As someone said recently on another thread, "Governments lose wars and elections, sometimes their best efforts are not enough". If you truly believe what you keep repeating on this thread I suggest you borrow to the hilt and fill your boots with buy to lets.