House Price Crash Forum

Youtube And Google+....

Darkman

HOLA441

I don't know if any of you upload Youtube videos on a significant scale, but for those of you who do you'll be aware of the Youtube inbox? This is just a receptacle to inform you of any comments left on your videos or private messages. If you have quite a few videos, you're not going to check each video's comment section encase you need to answer something. You'll check your inbox for that account.

Anyhoo, Youtube have decided that these notifications won't go to the inbox anymore. Instead they'll go to the google email account associated with that account. I assume this is some sort of deal Youtube have made with Google+ to force people to use their google accounts.

Frankly it's infuriating. And I think it illustrates how seemingly great online companies lose their way. I'm sure YT got some dosh for this deal, but unfortunately they've just pissed off most of their serious users.

I registered some Google email accounts purely so I could open new YT accounts. There was no other reason and I don't use they Google email addys at all. So now I have to log in and out of these accounts regularly to check all my messages?? The place for YT notifications is on YT obviously, not on "Google+" (whatever that is supposed to be anyway). Was Google+ supposed to be some competitor to Facebook? Shame no one uses it......

/rant :angry:

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

They want you to have a single account across all google services.

Account sure, I made the mistake of giving in to the constant pestering on the YouTube account, but as far as I know I've never had a Google email address from that.

The "one account" ******** seems to me the sort of thing they're using to kill YouTube; trying to merge it in with a load of crap that most people who use YouTube have no interest in and no desire to have an account with.

HOLA447

Yes, pushing that single account is annoying too. Why would people set up more than one account unless that's specifically what they wanted. It's pretty obvious that different accounts are used to cater to different audiences using different channels with appropriate names. Trying to force a single account is bizarre.

So if Google is trying to kill off Youtube, what's the reason? Is there a replacement lined up or is the whole concept just not viable anymore?

HOLA448

I have a few YT accounts, I get notifications by email. It was years since I set it up so I have no idea. I have never seen "YT inbox".

But you need a different email account for each YT account. Therefore you're having to check various email accounts?

The YT inbox is a little buried yes, in fact it's in different places for different accounts! Work that one out. But it's incredibly useful to check messages.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

On the contrary it's becoming more important to them.

They also want to get a handle on the comments which are currently overrun with anonymous trolling.

Trying to bury it amongst a ton of other nonsense that I've no interest in doesn't sound like making it more important. I'm sure that they want something like YouTube but not YouTube itself.

The comments need to stay the way they are too, they're perfect ammunition for my argument that large portions of the human race are barely-literate wastes of space that get confused with handling any technology and ideas more complicated than a spoon.

HOLA4411

wiki: Jawed Karim

Jawed Karim (born January 1, 1979) is an American internet entrepreneur of Bangladeshi-German origin. He is best known for being the co-founder of the popular video sharing website YouTube. Many of the core components of PayPal, including its real-time anti-fraud system, were also designed and implemented by Karim.
More than eight years after uploading the first video on YouTube, in response to YouTube's change to using Google+ for its comment system, Karim returned to his original YouTube account on November 7, 2013 and posted on his channel asking "why the **** do i need a google+ account to comment on a video?"

I'm guessing that the $64,000,000 Karim got from Google for flogging YT might have something to do with it.

HOLA4412

But you need a different email account for each YT account. Therefore you're having to check various email accounts?

The YT inbox is a little buried yes, in fact it's in different places for different accounts! Work that one out. But it's incredibly useful to check messages.

I made a new email account and set it to forward to my main email address. Then completely ignore it. (even Gmail will let you do this!)

HOLA4413

This is the best explanation I've found of the new sigup/singin/Gplus nonesense

http://techcrunch.com/2013/11/10/nonplussed/

You can see why they would want to standardise sign in for all the different google websites, and its not like youtube comments dont need some cleaning up but this is not going to do it.

Anyone remember Microsoft passport? did anyone learn from that failure?

HOLA4414

The comments left on Youtube are pretty shocking IMO. I don't mean they offend my sensibilities, I mean they indicate a super low IQ for so many users. If you upload videos that get any attention at all, definitely expect abuse and severe trolling. That's part of the reason I need to check comments easily & quickly.

I think the simple comment "you're doing it wrong" has now become a legendary one liner :D

HOLA4415

The comments left on Youtube are pretty shocking IMO. I don't mean they offend my sensibilities, I mean they indicate a super low IQ for so many users. If you upload videos that get any attention at all, definitely expect abuse and severe trolling. That's part of the reason I need to check comments easily & quickly.

I think the simple comment "you're doing it wrong" has now become a legendary one liner :D

Every youtube comment section seems to devolve into either racism or insults about mothers, or a mix of the two. I enjoy a good bit of racism and mother insulting as much as the next guy, but it gets a bit tiresome video after video.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Should be grateful it's free.

Really? Users give Youtube content for their broadcasts.... for free.

ok you might earn revenue from ads if you sign up, but that's at Youtube's discretion. If they don't want to pay you, they won't.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

By free I mean it doesn't cost the video maker to put up content. Of course, Google needs to make money. I just think it is an amazing thing that you are able to make and upload videos that can be seen across the world...

Same as I do posting, debating and learning on HPC, and other lesser forums.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Am I the only one who liked the old Youtube comments? Yes it was full of retards and racism, but also a lot of genuine wit.

Maybe it's an age thing, now that older people are using Youtube it has to be censored to a level of dullness that people raised on terrestrial television will find acceptable.

Hopefully the youngsters will all decamp for pastures new.

HOLA4424

I thank them every morning when I wake up, and every night when I go to bed.

They probably know that.

They killed their rss reader. That was useful.

Their search results are awful again at the moment. Lots of US results.

And why do they call their updates after soft fluffy things?

I now hate penguins, pandas and puffins and hummingbirds. Or whatever the flip the updates are called

HOLA4425

Archived