House Price Crash Forum

Crowdfunding An Apartment Block?

JoeDavola

HOLA441

Was reading about crowd funding earlier and how it's branching into larger community projects (e.g. building a park); it got me thinking; why couldn't you crowd fund an apartment block?

Everyone buys a single apartment and pays just the cost that it takes to build it i.e. no money goes to company profits, and the price of the apartment is the build cost and not what the 'market' dictates.... I wonder would this make buying an apartment in certain parts of the world much cheaper, or is the issue really the cost of land?

Edited by JoeDavola

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Was reading about crowd funding earlier and how it's branching into larger community projects (e.g. building a park); it got me thinking; why couldn't you crowd fund an apartment block?

Everyone buys a single apartment and pays just the cost that it takes to build it i.e. no money goes to company profits, and the price of the apartment is the build cost and not what the 'market' dictates.... I wonder would this make buying an apartment in certain parts of the world much cheaper, or is the issue really the cost of land?

Reinventing the hippie-era commune for an age in which people expect the privacy of their own front door!

HOLA447

Think this already exists. I've definitely seen on TV a programme of a group of people who bought / built a whole street.

Plus there's this (which leans towards the hippie / commune side of things)

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2013/may/07/uk-self-build-pioneers

HOLA448

Reinventing the hippie-era commune for an age in which people expect the privacy of their own front door!

Could get some decent flat/housing densities into a 2-3 acre plot all with their own front door. How about 15foot by 25foot room, 12 to 15 foot high with a mezannine level side by side? could get loads built per acre with comunal gardens or even small individual gardens. Could adjust sizes/rooms up and down to suit various budgets.

HOLA449

Could get some decent flat/housing densities into a 2-3 acre plot all with their own front door. How about 15foot by 25foot room, 12 to 15 foot high with a mezannine level side by side? could get loads built per acre with comunal gardens or even small individual gardens. Could adjust sizes/rooms up and down to suit various budgets.

Was actually thinking build high but everyone gets a really good sized apartment - heck if it was as simple as everyone gets a whole floor each would it make the building simpler?

Your idea might be easier in terms of planning though!

Edited by JoeDavola