House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Social Work Bosses 'merry-Go-Round' Puts Children At Greater Risk

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/social-work-bosses-merrygoround-puts-children-at-greater-risk-8930950.html

Vulnerable children are being put at further risk because of a "management merry-go-round" at councils across England that has seen one in three director of children's services (DCS) leave their job in the past year.

The role has been compared to that of a Premier League football manager, with directors ruthlessly removed if they do not get speedy results. Of the 152 DCSs at local authorities, 52 left their position between July last year and July 2013. Nine more have left since then.

Thirteen authorities have had four directors in the past five years, including Birmingham, Doncaster and Haringey – all heavily criticised for inadequate child protection. The IoS revealed last week that Haringey's Local Safeguarding Children Board has launched yet another serious case review after a toddler was taken into care and a couple charged with child abuse.

Andrew Webb, president of the Association of Directors of Children's Services (ADCS), said yesterday that he was "concerned" about the instability, and warned that the £2.7bn in funding cuts has put "phenomenal pressure" on directors. "Twin hatters", responsible for both children and adult services, can now be found at 58 councils that have merged departments in recent years.

Mr Webb, a "twin hatter" as director of people at Stockport Council, said the high turnover was attributed to a combination of directors moving from authority to authority, restructuring, and retirement.

If they keep moving like this can they all pass the buck about any problems not down to me gov, I was busy clearing up someone else's mess I've only been here 6 months etc....

Are the targets themselves causing an issue, if you can't meet them move on before you get removed? A highly paid game of musical chairs?

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/social-work-bosses-merrygoround-puts-children-at-greater-risk-8930950.html

If they keep moving like this can they all pass the buck about any problems not down to me gov, I was busy clearing up someone else's mess I've only been here 6 months etc....

Are the targets themselves causing an issue, if you can't meet them move on before you get removed? A highly paid game of musical chairs?

well they ought to be focussing on quality,not quantity.

.....I would not like to see executioners on piece-rate.

Maybe they should pay them once they have achieved the results they said they can deliver, rather than paying them for the impossible, a waste of both time, lives and money....... ;)

All the government and managers actually need to do is follow the procedures laid out in the Children Order and then provide the front line staff to do their jobs. Not that hard. It might help though if the managers and directors were experienced in their areas of control. Too many of them are career types, bit like our politicians, little real experience but know the right people. Targets need to be set on real successes (which take time) not on the ability to provide a paper trail showing lots of little boxes with pretty little ticks in them. None of this can be done quickly, the managers and directors know they won't last long so do nothing except implement new paper procedures for staff. It can be a lucrative business for them, a frustrating mess for the workers and disastrous for the children concerned.

Child protection needs to be agreed cross party with safe guarded funding, services and jobs. Some of the HB bill would go a long way towards this.

This government will never realise the harm they are causing.

:(

Can I claim that the Indie plagiarised my post from the other day - and I gave some detailed examples too!

my post

There is a club type of thing called the Association of Directors of Childrens Services.

There is also a merry go round of leaving one council and joining another - they all know each other and councils feel forced to pick their next director from the pool available.

Round here (Herefordshire) we had one called Sharon Menghini who left with a large payoff after a short time having botched a programme of school closures. She went to Stoke where she was paid off (another large payoff) after a short time after botching things there too....(no-one knows what persuaded Hereford to take her from her previous employer or Stoke to take her from Hereford. . We then had an `interim' and then another `interim' who was persuaded to leave her `interim' arrangement in Derby (£840 ish per day) to work near where she lived for a mere 20% pay rise (based on press reports at the time) (and who had previously been in charge in Gloucester during the Eunice Spry child abuse scandal)

The previous one in Derby was called Ros Vahey - google her to see the kind of racket going on. Then google Adam Wilkinson (Kent Council, Derby Council) to see the kind of person allowing it to go on (and part of it)

This sphere would give very rich pickings to the Public Accounts Committee - a much bigger overall scandal than the BBC imo. But of course that might mean delving into the whole Common Purpose issue.

Interestingly, one of the claimed advantages of the `interim consultant' is that they are not an employee. However they make decisions as if they are employees - redundancy notices, signing off contracts and cheques etc. They should also have PI insurance - has any council ever claimed against that when disastrous decisions lead to the council incurring costs?

Y

Can I claim that the Indie plagiarised my post from the other day - and I gave some detailed examples too!

my post

Y

Yeah - you can claim plagiarism. Nice examples too. Had a wee google at Ros Vahey. She has been extremely successful at being useless hasn't she? Seems that plenty recognise her faults too but she keeps getting paid! :angry: