House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ChumpusRex

1Pb Mobile Data Allowance

My link

Bargain! I'll be signing right up, I think.

Yes you can watch kittens!

How much? :huh:

What is a PB?

Gigabyte

Terrabyte

Piggobyte?

Assume a PB is 1000 TB's

We are now seeing consumer hard drives up to 3Tb. How long till be see a 1PB one?

We are now seeing consumer hard drives up to 3Tb. How long till be see a 1PB one?

I'm going to need a new PC before long (I'm on an old XP machine) and will get one with a smaller hard drive (SSD only).

I reckon 120GB should be enough.

The stuff that takes up most space I hardly ever use (videos and music) and can be put on a memory stick.

A 128GB one is under £50 now and will probably have halved by the time I get a new PC.

Will make scans a hell of lot quicker as well.

That's going to be an awful lot of data... Not sure what the limit of Perpendicular Recording is, perhaps if they can solve the bit problem they'll avoid the problem of superparamagnetism.

http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Computer_Science/2006/perpendicular_hard_drive_technology.asp

Perpendicular recording technology also is not the answer to removing superparamagnetism. It has not stopped the search for the ever elusive answer to being able to further shrink the actual size of the magnetic grains that make up data bits. Perpendicular recording only moves the superparamagnetism barrier back a bit, it doesn't eliminate it. For now Perpendicular recording technology allows for many new developments and advancements in storage capacity over the coming years, but it too will feel eventually feel the pull of the superparamagnetic effect; unless the physical size of a bit can be further reduced, then again that barrier will be pushed back to meet the ever-growing storage needs of consumers.

I'm going to need a new PC before long (I'm on an old XP machine) and will get one with a smaller hard drive (SSD only).

I reckon 120GB should be enough.

The stuff that takes up most space I hardly ever use (videos and music) and can be put on a memory stick.

A 128GB one is under £50 now and will probably have halved by the time I get a new PC.

Will make scans a hell of lot quicker as well.

My advise is to stay away from SSDs They seem to go"pop" qute a lot/ :huh:

I was looking at ordering a laptop for work and saw a number offering SSD, my advice was to perhaps go for old school mechanical variety.

If you don't get any rescue media your buying a new hard drive plus a new copy of Windows.

What is a PB?

Gigabyte

Terrabyte

Piggobyte?

Assume a PB is 1000 TB's

I have no doubt that the 1PB drive will become available. What I have more doubt about is what technology will be used to produce it.

At some stage conventional hard drives will die, but it appears we are some way away from that yet.

It is difficult to see as well what solid state product will replace it. MRAM looks like the leading contender. I use FeRAM in my products for various reasons but I don't expect this to prevail for mainstream use. There appears some resistance in moving off from NAND flash onto improved formats, I guess because although imperfect the NAND flash still offers what people want, ie low cost, high capacity, reasonable speed, plus well developed technology/fabs. A lot of the downsides such as finite read write cycles can be dealt with via software (wear levelling).

I purchases a Samsung 250gb earlier this year for a good price. Put it in at the same time i upgraded to windows 8.

In terms of boot up time it is a no brainer, seconds rather than 2.5 - 3 minutes but as you say do not yet have the same reliability as hard drives.

Makes you ever more vigilant in backing important stuff up.

Anyway Samsung drives ship with monitoring software (Samsung Magician) so it may well transpire that there is some notice of immiment failure.

The problem with SSD's is that it's best not to overload them with everyday programs (other than the OS) as you'll expand it's life that way, but it probably defeats the object of why you'd have one (apart from fast booting).

Anyway, a peta I would imagine will store in the region of 13,000 4k2k films, which is quite a lot (unless I've got my calcs wrong!)

I purchases a Samsung 250gb earlier this year for a good price. Put it in at the same time i upgraded to windows 8.

In terms of boot up time it is a no brainer, seconds rather than 2.5 - 3 minutes but as you say do not yet have the same reliability as hard drives.

Makes you ever more vigilant in backing important stuff up.

Anyway Samsung drives ship with monitoring software (Samsung Magician) so it may well transpire that there is some notice of immiment failure.

If you google most reliable hard drive brands or similar you get some interesting answers. You can also do the same for SSD.

Sounds like a good idea in principle, billing at a company level rather than thousands of separate contracts and allowances.

Meanwhile back in the "normal" world for most...

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2013/11/ee-uk-officially-launch-4g-lte-home-broadband-service-rural-cumbria.html

25GB/mo for £25/mo would be very nice.

We use about 20GB/mo which currently costs £60/mo, it's £30 for each 10GB.

(Used for home/primary connection not mobiles)

There really isn't much in the way of competition with 4G at the moment, Three has yet to get going (next month), Vodafone has long been absolutely pants for everything data related and always does appallingly in mobile data surveys, O2 could be promising but EE have it pretty well sewn up at the moment.

Sounds like a good idea in principle, billing at a company level rather than thousands of separate contracts and allowances.

Meanwhile back in the "normal" world for most...

http://www.ispreview...al-cumbria.html

25GB/mo for £25/mo would be very nice.

We use about 20GB/mo which currently costs £60/mo, it's £30 for each 10GB.

(Used for home/primary connection not mobiles)

There really isn't much in the way of competition with 4G at the moment, Three has yet to get going (next month), Vodafone has long been absolutely pants for everything data related and always does appallingly in mobile data surveys, O2 could be promising but EE have it pretty well sewn up at the moment.

Funny you mention that at the moment, I've just been musing over ditching the landline again. Just paid the bill this morning, £100 and a few pennies and only about six quid for calls. Probably use less than 5 gigs of data. MiFi and VOIP is looking attractive.

Funny you mention that at the moment, I've just been musing over ditching the landline again. Just paid the bill this morning, £100 and a few pennies and only about six quid for calls. Probably use less than 5 gigs of data. MiFi and VOIP is looking attractive.

Although I have VOIP (Sipgate and Skype) and can do video calls I rarely use it, I just put ten quid on the mobile now and again - about once a month I think. Just apathy really, since O2's call quality is abysmal here.

It has been six years since I had a landline, but I seem to remember that about half the calls it attracted were debt collectors chasing other people ("I've told you three times that Mr. Smith doesn't live here and moreover, the address that you think he lives at - which is allegedly in this village - does not actually exist.") and sales calls. I really don't miss it.

For that level of usage you could potentially have Three 3G or 4G and pay about £15 a month. If it works well where you are.

We moved from Three to EE's 4G and it's a lot more expensive, those who have cable won't find the downstream impressive, but for here it's like greased lightning. All the time. The upstream speed is phenomenal (even compared to cable!)

3034083280.png3019733906.png

Three's intention is to offer 4G at their current 3G prices. A 10GB Three 3G SIM is £15 a month on a month to month contract.Even Three 3G managed 12 to 21 Meg down and 2 to 4 Meg up.