House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mr. Miyagi

Heat Your Room For 8P A Day

No..... fork handles.

Costs even less if you set fire to copies of the Daily Hate you find lying around on the train.

Ha....that was from nuggets link on here.....it works. ;)

:lol:

The slightly odd thing is I ran into that (year old) clip a few days before the DM or Reddit mentioned it, whilst searching around for plans for a DIY meths stove.

where do you buy tea lights for 1p a piece? cheapest I could find is £4.79p per hundred.

Just picked up a sack of 100 tea lights from Wilkos. Two quid, not one, though.

http://www.wilko.com/candles/wilko-tealights-unscented-x-100/invt/0290164

me too ...I was looking for pop can solar heating

a small candle can't have many kJ in it and it can only produce as much energy as it has locked up in its hydrocarbons so I call fake. Unless the room is very small.

We're burning lignite at the moment which is fairly cheap but smells of miner's bottoms.

:lol:

The slightly odd thing is I ran into that (year old) clip a few days before the DM or Reddit mentioned it, whilst searching around for plans for a DIY meths stove.

Just picked up a sack of 100 tea lights from Wilkos. Two quid, not one, though.

http://www.wilko.com/candles/wilko-tealights-unscented-x-100/invt/0290164

Should I edit the topic title to 16p?

Is it still a bargain?

Should I edit the topic title to 16p?

Is it still a bargain?

A flagrant extravagance even at 8p.

What when there are empty tuna cans, bits of string and used vegetable oil just lying there in bins going begging...

desmxx.jpg

Given the insane way women seem to buy scented candles like Yankee, as part of a particularly virulent current fad, I wouldn't be surprised if the country wasn't burning more candles now than in the days of pre-electricity.

I think that it is wonderful that, after a century of delivering energy to homes via the efficient infrastructure of the gas and electricity mains, burning fossil fuels in power stations that obviously benefit from economies of scale, to power purpose-designed heaters in homes, it turns out that refining petrochemcals into paraffin candles and delivering them in small, inefficient quantities to households, and taxed at 20% VAT, turns out to be cheaper. As long as you don't understand basic maths and the laws of thermodynamics.

And who would have thought that energy can be created from nowhere by using inert flower pots, that multiply the energy output of a burning candle?

I think that it is wonderful that, after a century of delivering energy to homes via the efficient infrastructure of the gas and electricity mains, burning fossil fuels in power stations that obviously benefit from economies of scale, to power purpose-designed heaters in homes, it turns out that refining petrochemcals into paraffin candles and delivering them in small, inefficient quantities to households, and taxed at 20% VAT, turns out to be cheaper. As long as you don't understand basic maths and the laws of thermodynamics.

And who would have thought that energy can be created from nowhere by using inert flower pots, that multiply the energy output of a burning candle?

Truly we live in an age of wonders.

hubbob libob weeb!

bill invlentibobed colbod fusionibob.

I'm not sure about this argument.

Electric heating is really inefficient, and the gas network is as much about cooking your dinner and heating water, rather than heating the air. Not only that I've always thought radiators were incredibly poorly designed as heat exchangers, but there must be a reason for this.

You could work out the stored energy in a candle, work out a cost/unit of energy and from there calculate what efficiency you would need from the candle to match the price of a mains gas supply.

Logically, if there's a saving to be had and everyone starts doing this then the price of tealights will increase until the cost of using them to heat your home is roughly the same as mains.

A flagrant extravagance even at 8p.

What when there are empty tuna cans, bits of string and used vegetable oil just lying there in bins going begging...

desmxx.jpg

Tell me more. I have a tin of tuna and some old vegetable oil - and string.

Tell me more. I have a tin of tuna and some old vegetable oil - and string.

Though I might have been pushing things a little suggesting used oil. Any vegetable, preferably fresh, oil should work

And after the tuna can...

1zlvsbr.jpg

These are the kinds of projects that make more sense sitting outside of a tent with a penknife and a hour or two to while away.

btw When I first raised this subject I did mention it might be a goer as a shed, rather than a room, heater. I'm actually going to give tea lights a go this winter; to keep the frost off some relatively hardy plants I'm putting under glass and also to warm the area around a shed work-bench, just enough so that I can work without gloves. I'm guessing that a couple of warmed up pots will do a better job of warming the area adjacent to the pots than a couple of bare candles. Unlike matey in the 8p video, I won't be leaving the top of the contraption open.

Tea lights also make for totally awesome breakfast cooking media...

OK, not really

The first and last 60ish seconds of the above video are slightly entertaining. The five minutes in the middle are anything but.

I'm not sure about this argument.

Electric heating is really inefficient, and the gas network is as much about cooking your dinner and heating water, rather than heating the air. Not only that I've always thought radiators were incredibly poorly designed as heat exchangers, but there must be a reason for this.

Indeed! Centuries of research into thermodynamics, heat radiation and materials science has been a wasteful dead end!.

All that was needed, it turns out, was flower pots!

You could work out the stored energy in a candle, work out a cost/unit of energy and from there calculate what efficiency you would need from the candle to match the price of a mains gas supply.

No! Don't do that, or you will discover that tealights dont produce much energy for their price and flower pots do not create energy from empty space

Yep! It seemingly turns out that building the mains grid has been a complete waste of time, it is far more energy- and cost-efficient to load up diesel trucks to deliver tealights to every household, with a concomitant saving of fuel and money.

Gas power stations! Gas mains! Millions on research for the most thermodynamically efficient boiler and radiator designs! What were the idiots thinking of? Doh!

Logically, if there's a saving to be had and everyone starts doing this then the price of tealights will increase until the cost of using them to heat your home is roughly the same as mains.

But... but... as we now know that paraffin wax is a cheaper fuel than gas or oil, there is an opportunity to redesign oli refineries to concentrate on making paraffin wax. We can power our cars with boilers heated up with tealights! Dust off that toy Mamod steam engine in the attic, it's still useful!

And in the future, we will all be wearing comfy thermo-trousers with flower pots in the bell-bottoms, when we fly around in our jet-packs to work in nuclear power stations, housed in huuuuuuuge flower pots! I have seen the future, and it is wonderful!

May I ask, in view of the breathtaking insight that some of the posters here have on the matters of energy density, fuel efficency, chemistry and basic thermodynamics, is there a correlation (as I suspect) between tea-light heating enthusiasts, and anthropogenic climate change deniers?