House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fully Detached

Buying A Kindle - But Which?

I'm spending quite a lot of time travelling at the moment, and am considering buying a kindle, but I have no idea which would be most suited to my needs. So I figured the people here will have plenty of advice and opinion, which would be rather handy, since I'm faced with options between £70 and £190.

In brief, my needs are:

- something that is robust enough to be squeezed into tightly packed hand luggage.

- something with a decent "like a book" feel

- something that isn't to glaring on the eyes - I looked at the Kindle white, does anyone find that too bright for bedtime reading?

- Something with wifi so that I can download new books on the move

That's it really. I have no need of anything that can do videos, email, web surfing etc - I have a phone and a laptop for that, so really, the simpler the better I guess.

All opinions much appreciated :)

I assume you are aware that you cannot download apps from the android market at Google play, and have to use Amazon which does not have really any good free apps.

and that is the reason i sold my kindle fire on ebay last week.

FYI it was very robust and useful for the calendar syncing with my android phone and so many free books, i would go for the larger screen size if you can.

I assume you are aware that you cannot download apps from the android market at Google play, and have to use Amazon which does not have really any good free apps.

and that is the reason i sold my kindle fire on ebay last week.

FYI it was very robust and useful for the calendar syncing with my android phone and so many free books, i would go for the larger screen size if you can.

I didn't know that, thanks. But apps are not really my thing - from doing a bit more reading I think I've narrowed it down to either the original kindle or the paperwhite, as really all I want is a reader. My only concern with the paperwhite is if it is too bright, but I guess the brightness must be adjustable.

I didn't know that, thanks. But apps are not really my thing - from doing a bit more reading I think I've narrowed it down to either the original kindle or the paperwhite, as really all I want is a reader. My only concern with the paperwhite is if it is too bright, but I guess the brightness must be adjustable.

Do they have them out in your nearest big tesco?

Always nice to play with them to see which you'd like.

The Kindle is not in the game anymore - been discussed to death on here. Buy a Hudl or a Nexus 7 and get on with your life. Hudl is the best bang for buck IMPO and will do everything you want for £119.

Just install Amazon's Kindle software on the Hudl.

You will regret buying either IMPO.

I'm spending quite a lot of time travelling at the moment, and am considering buying a kindle, but I have no idea which would be most suited to my needs. So I figured the people here will have plenty of advice and opinion, which would be rather handy, since I'm faced with options between £70 and £190.

In brief, my needs are:

- something that is robust enough to be squeezed into tightly packed hand luggage.

- something with a decent "like a book" feel

- something that isn't to glaring on the eyes - I looked at the Kindle white, does anyone find that too bright for bedtime reading?

- Something with wifi so that I can download new books on the move

That's it really. I have no need of anything that can do videos, email, web surfing etc - I have a phone and a laptop for that, so really, the simpler the better I guess.

All opinions much appreciated :)

If you just want something like a book, that can access your library on the go, a basic wifi only Kindle at £69 will fulfil, especially if you use E-pub to Kindle [free] to convert any books you have in other e-formats to be readable on your Kindle. If you like to read in bed and don't always have access to a reading light, buy a case with a built-in light, or buy a Paperwhite Kindle.:)

Interesting - why do you think this?

Scroll down the thread fof a page of two and you will find a huge thread on tablets. Basically, a Kindle is so limited in what it does that it is a waste of money - things have moved on. If I had a pound for everyone who was adamant they would buy a Kindle over good advice only to later regret buying one.

How much is the paperwhite? £100? Not in the same league as the £120 Hudl. Your money though.

Are you still buying techno-crap to read books with! I just buy books, although I do need glasses now, but they don't require batteries! :blink:

Have you all been had? :blink:

Scroll down the thread fof a page of two and you will find a huge thread on tablets. Basically, a Kindle is so limited in what it does that it is a waste of money - things have moved on. If I had a pound for everyone who was adamant they would buy a Kindle over good advice only to later regret buying one.

How much is the paperwhite? £100? Not in the same league as the £120 Hudl. Your money though.

I don't understand this - surely ebooks are all much of a muchness. Which features are you discriminating on?

Edit: Just checked - Hudl is a tablet not an ereader. How can you even compare the two?

The Kindle is not in the game anymore - been discussed to death on here. Buy a Hudl or a Nexus 7 and get on with your life. Hudl is the best bang for buck IMPO and will do everything you want for £119.

Just install Amazon's Kindle software on the Hudl.

Frankly, as someone with vision problems, I couldn't disagree more. I agree that a tablet is a much better value device - but only if you want one device for everything. If not, tThe Kindle and other e-ink devices are in a different league for reading on then tablets in terms of eyestrain. They are just much, much more comfortable to read on. Plus they are lighter, and the battery life is measured in weeks rather than hours.

Put calibre book management on your computer too and the world outside amazon's restrictive eco-system opens up too.

Buy a tablet if you want other things too, but don't dismiss e-ink devices if you mainly want to read. The Amazon Kindle 4 (the last of the physical buttons only) is one of the best electronic devices I've ever had. You could probably get one for £40-50 on ebay, but I'd probably get the paperwhite now and just turn off the backlight when you don't need it.

Are you still buying techno-crap to read books with! I just buy books, although I do need glasses now, but they don't require batteries! :blink:

Have you all been had? :blink:

I'm even more of a luddite. I get my books from the library, read them, then give them back for someone else to benefit from. Revolutionary I know.

Think some of the latest ebook apps (google play so for android) certainly the premium ones allow you to tinker with the page colour txt density all sorts and of course you can always alter the screen brightness.

I had a first generation kindle and gave it away. I now use my nexus 7 for ebooks and cannot tell the difference. You can also of course do sum much more on a tablet than an ebook reader.

I'm even more of a luddite. I get my books from the library, read them, then give them back for someone else to benefit from. Revolutionary I know.

Good Lord! The Victorians should have thought of that! ;)

Quite easy to clone digital copies and share ebook collections via something called Calibre.

Great bit of open source donate ware.

http://calibre-ebook.com/

Do they have them out in your nearest big tesco?

Always nice to play with them to see which you'd like.

They do, and I'm going for a look later - thanks :)

If you just want something like a book, that can access your library on the go, a basic wifi only Kindle at £69 will fulfil, especially if you use E-pub to Kindle [free] to convert any books you have in other e-formats to be readable on your Kindle. If you like to read in bed and don't always have access to a reading light, buy a case with a built-in light, or buy a Paperwhite Kindle.:)

Yes, I'm leaning toward the cheaper one, but will compare it against the paperwhite and see which looks more my sort of thing.

I don't understand this - surely ebooks are all much of a muchness. Which features are you discriminating on?

Edit: Just checked - Hudl is a tablet not an ereader. How can you even compare the two?

My thoughts exactly. I have to carry around a smart phone and a laptop, so the idea of buying another device that does all the same things just doesn't appeal to me. I like the long battery life, and the idea that if I go abroad and forget the charger it's not the end of the world. I like the idea that all I can do is read books, without getting into other distractions. This is why I've never bought an iPad. The day it can replace my laptop then I'll think about it, but for now it's just more battery hogging, space using, weight adding junk.

I take TMTs point that pound per pound the functionality is limited, but I'd rather buy something that does one job well that try to do lots of jobs that I can already do on other devices.

They do, and I'm going for a look later - thanks :)

Yes, I'm leaning toward the cheaper one, but will compare it against the paperwhite and see which looks more my sort of thing.

My thoughts exactly. I have to carry around a smart phone and a laptop, so the idea of buying another device that does all the same things just doesn't appeal to me. I like the long battery life, and the idea that if I go abroad and forget the charger it's not the end of the world. I like the idea that all I can do is read books, without getting into other distractions. This is why I've never bought an iPad. The day it can replace my laptop then I'll think about it, but for now it's just more battery hogging, space using, weight adding junk.

I take TMTs point that pound per pound the functionality is limited, but I'd rather buy something that does one job well that try to do lots of jobs that I can already do on other devices.

I have a Kindle (the last one with keyboard the bottom - bought it refurbished from Amazon) which I bought specifically to replace physical books and to read on the train, holiday, in bed etc. it's genius for that purpose, battery life is measured in weeks not hours. I also have an iPad 3 which is a great piece of kit, but it in no way replaces the Kindle for reading books.

If you are merely wanting to read I'd suggest getting a Nook, I got the one that was £29 but that doesn't appear stocked anywhere now but there is the glowlight for £49.

You can buy books from Amazon remove the DRM and import them into the Nook. The nook has the advantage over the kindle of being able to use a SD card so you can store more books on it.

I think mine is the Kindle Touch, my second kindle which I bought over a year ago. I think it was £80 or so.

A little after it was launched that made one that gently lit the eInk background so you could the 'page' even whiter.

Using it all the time. Unlike tablets it can last about a month of heavy reading if you turn the WIFI off.

I have a lot a tablets in various sizes and a kindle 3. I choose to read books on the ipad 2 with the kindle app.

When I bought my kindle lots of people said they can't read books on tablets, but I've never found it an issue personally. Also ipad batteries are amazing, not weeks amazing but surprisingly good.

If I were to choose now it would have to be the paperwhite over the cheaper one but I would stump up the extra for an ipad mini.

Thanks for all the comments; I went into Tesco yesterday and had a play with the basic wifi and the paperwhite. Of the two I actually preferred the basic one. Sadly they had no stock, so it's another week of carrying around a big book and some more time to think about it before next weekend. I need to find something to read now :)

1384010075[/url]' post='909426999']

I have a Kindle (the last one with keyboard the bottom - bought it refurbished from Amazon) which I bought specifically to replace physical books and to read on the train, holiday, in bed etc. it's genius for that purpose, battery life is measured in weeks not hours. I also have an iPad 3 which is a great piece of kit, but it in no way replaces the Kindle for reading books.

Agreed. I have the Kindle app on my iPad as it's useful for recipe books, but it can't hold a candle to my kindle keyboard for battery life or readability of the screen.

BTW, did all you curry lovers know that Rick Stein's India is on Amazon for Kindle for 49p? Very readable, for cooking, too, on the iPad app.

BTW, did all you curry lovers know that Rick Stein's India is on Amazon for Kindle for 49p? Very readable, for cooking, too, on the iPad app.

Thank you! Got it at 49p!