House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Bbc - Woman Stating People Don't Care About What's Happening In Background Of Mortgages

Interesting VI on this morning on BBC Breakfast at around 6.48 talking about HTB, apparently consumers don't care about what's happening in the background with mortgages and all people need is the 5% to get HTB.

Obviously HTB is great to help people overpay for a house and prop up prices. One couple on telling us how HTB helped them afford the overpriced house they couldn't afford without it.

Interesting VI on this morning on BBC Breakfast at around 6.48 talking about HTB, apparently consumers don't care about what's happening in the background with mortgages and all people need is the 5% to get HTB.

Obviously HTB is great to help people overpay for a house and prop up prices. One couple on telling us how HTB helped them afford the overpriced house they couldn't afford without it.

I thought advertising was banned on the BBc :rolleyes:

If they are resorting to HTB advertising on the most used TV channel in the UK then the uptake my be low.

It was like playing HPC cliche bingo. "Rent is dead money", "Paying landlords mortgage".

Despite being a piece on HTB2, the couple in the video clip were clearly signed up to HTB1. Very poor journalism.

It was like playing HPC cliche bingo. "Rent is dead money", "Paying landlords mortgage".

Despite being a piece on HTB2, the couple in the video clip were clearly signed up to HTB1. Very poor journalism.

The final edit invariably includes a couple of those, they love that nonsense.

This looks interesting. Has the potential to give a lot of people nightmares.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03j0nw1

There's most definitely resistance in the MSM including BBC. Priced out of Richmond is my guess. :):)

Adam Shaw's been very bearish on housing in the past, so this might - for once - be a realistic housing programme from the BBC

I heard someone on German TV this morning talking about the speculative bubble in East German agricultural land say the German equivalent of "they're not making any more land". Absolutely unbelieveable, as East Germany is suffering depopulation and they actually have a policy of demolishing about 50,000 dwellings a year there. Utter madness everywhere.

edit: oops, meant to reference the "bingo" comment.

Edited by BigPig

Its what the government wanted.

God forbid people wake up and question the order and price of things, apply logic.

They just want 'but i'll miss the boat' hysteria to take over. An irrational electorate is an easily controllable electorate.

To which I would now reply, happy to pay landlord's mortgage[1].

I live in a house whose market price might be in the £200k ballpark[2,3]. Income from my VC portfolio, which cost me £80k and is worth £100k at today's prices, covers the rent. At those prices, no contest: the equities are better value, and I'll continue investing in more of them.

Of course I buy a house like this, and my mortgage payments would be one third of my current rent. By that calculation, I should buy a house. That contradiction illustrates the absurdity of today's looking-glass economy. Clearly what I should really do for maximum profit is take out a big mortgage and spend it not on a house, but on juicy equities.

[1] Financially speaking. Though I want to move on again: there are too many little things wrong with this place.

[2] Which is above average around here.

[3] Next-door-but-one is on the market at over £300k, but is bigger - and won't sell at that price.