House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rare Bear

Storey From The 60S

Arfons and Breedlove were headed into town one night for dinner and both got pulled over for going well over the limit.

Cop: "Who the hell do you think you are, Craig Breedlove?"

"No, sir, I'm Arfons. Breedlove's in the car in front of me."

There's also a story of Senna being pulled over and asked who he thought he was, Nigel Mansell?

Yeah it's in his authorised biography which I read a few years ago- he was racing F3 or similar in England at the time, and wanted to get from one track to another to see a friend/rival race.

I've had the privilege of a ride in the passenger seat of a car that could pull 1g or more in the corners with a great driver- it was mine, and I'd lent it to him while he was between jobs in the car industry. That ride was an eye opener TBH! So now I know how hard you can chuck cars round corners, and if it's just me at 2am I still do it. But unless my wife was in labour in the passenger seat I'd never do that in traffic, 20 months driving a bus taught me that at least 20% of the people on the road are either asleep or actively dangerous! :ph34r: So now I drive defensively even if I'm pressing on.

Guest eight

Yeah it's in his authorised biography which I read a few years ago- he was racing F3 or similar in England at the time, and wanted to get from one track to another to see a friend/rival race.

I've had the privilege of a ride in the passenger seat of a car that could pull 1g or more in the corners with a great driver- it was mine, and I'd lent it to him while he was between jobs in the car industry. That ride was an eye opener TBH! So now I know how hard you can chuck cars round corners, and if it's just me at 2am I still do it. But unless my wife was in labour in the passenger seat I'd never do that in traffic, 20 months driving a bus taught me that at least 20% of the people on the road are either asleep or actively dangerous! :ph34r: So now I drive defensively even if I'm pressing on.

Off the top of my head I think it was Mauricio Gugelmin he was going to support.

What car did you have and was the driver anybody I might have heard of?

What car did you have and was the driver anybody I might have heard of?

Phase 1 (I.E. 1.3) 106 Rallye. I doubt you will have heard of him unless you're in the used car business! He has the car now, I sold it to him for a knock down price on the condition that he offers it back to me first if he ever decides to get rid of it. He's giving it such a loving restoration now though that I think that's unlikely!

A similar thing happened to Stirling Moss,when he was stopped for speeding by a traffic cop who failed to recognise him. :lol:

Moss was indeed stopped for some minor traffic offence...riding a moped. :blink:

Other improbable motoring tales:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/7534890.stm

A Kent car dealer who was sent flying when a van struck a barrier was shocked to discover the driver was the German ex-Formula 1 ace, Michael Schumacher.

Martin Kingham, 39, said he was closing the security gate at his premises in Lydd on Sunday afternoon when a Fiat van struck the end of it.

And my favourite, made-up story:

Traffic policeman: "Who do you think you are, Lewis Hamilton?

Hamilton: "No. Now f*** off."