House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Shanghai Smog: Air Pollution Covers City

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/shanghai-smog-air-pollution-covers-city-8926748.html

Shanghai residents awoke this morning to find the city covered in a dense smog, as air quality in the city hit 'severe pollution' levels.

Residents were advised to stay indoors where possible when the Shanghai Environment Agency measured pollution at level five out of a possible six, according to the South China Morning Post.

Air pollution is a major problem in China due to the country's rapid pace of industrialisation, reliance on coal power, explosive growth in vehicle ownership and disregard for environmental laws.

The Shanghai air quality index registered the air pollution Quality Index at 271, which it categorised as 'very unhealthy'

Growth at all costs? I wonder what the long term health impacts on China will be. What's happening to life expectancy figures in China?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/shanghai-smog-air-pollution-covers-city-8926748.html

Growth at all costs? I wonder what the long term health impacts on China will be. What's happening to life expectancy figures in China?

One does wonder just how long the Chinese population is going to put up with the effects of their country's rapid industrialisation without seeing some real tangible benefits by way of much improved standards of living for the masses. Seems to me that if anything, most people are seeing their life get worse not better.

Goodness knows what the final environmental toll is going to be in China at the end of the day. I doubt we're even learning about a half of it at the moment and it's only stuff like massive smog that can't be hidden by the authorities that makes the news.

Essentially, the Chinese are acting as slave labour to enable the West to keep on living lives of luxury. In the process, they're also causing massive damage to the environment that they have to live in. Oh, and rather than spend the fruits of their labours most of the money is being loaned back to the West to 'buy' more Chinese stuff. Madness - and they are utter, utter fools if they believe that ultimately they are going to be paid back. This is likely the biggest con job in human history.

One does wonder just how long the Chinese population is going to put up with the effects of their country's rapid industrialisation without seeing some real tangible benefits by way of much improved standards of living for the masses. Seems to me that if anything, most people are seeing their life get worse not better.

Goodness knows what the final environmental toll is going to be in China at the end of the day. I doubt we're even learning about a half of it at the moment and it's only stuff like massive smog that can't be hidden by the authorities that makes the news.

Essentially, the Chinese are acting as slave labour to enable the West to keep on living lives of luxury. In the process, they're also causing massive damage to the environment that they have to live in. Oh, and rather than spend the fruits of their labours most of the money is being loaned back to the West to 'buy' more Chinese stuff. Madness - and they are utter, utter fools if they believe that ultimately they are going to be paid back. This is likely the biggest con job in human history.

Compared to the Great Leap Forward.. or the Cultural Revolution.. or the Japanese Occupation.. times are good in China. Bear in mind the base they are starting from.

Yes, but you forgot one thing. The small number of Chinese, the 1% if you will, who get very rich as a result.

Compared to the Great Leap Forward.. or the Cultural Revolution.. or the Japanese Occupation.. times are good in China. Bear in mind the base they are starting from.

And this. So the masters get filthy rich and enjoy a great life, the slaves are slightly better off than before. Much like the West, in fact...

I visited Shanghai for a conference in December 2008 and found the same thing: a dense, yellow/brown-ish mist that smelt slightly methane-y and clung to my clothes for several weeks and wash cycles afterwards. It was even present (albeit lighter) in the tube stations. Everyone was walking and cycling around with little white face masks on, a supply of which was available free from the hotel registration desk. You couldn't even see the outline of The Bund from just across the estuary, and a trip to the top of the TV tower was a complete waste of money, beacuse the viewing window was basically stuck in the middle of a cloud.

I feel sorry for the people who have to live under these conditions,

at the end of the day a lot of the economic growth china has had was won from the west by undercutting the production costs by not having any environment, labour and safety standards. It just amazes me how people and government's hail china's economic success knowing these facts especially when they are preaching and enforcing green policy's to us. <_<

Edited by awaytogo

I visited Shanghai for a conference in December 2008 and found the same thing: a dense, yellow/brown-ish mist that smelt slightly methane-y and clung to my clothes for several weeks and wash cycles afterwards. It was even present (albeit lighter) in the tube stations. Everyone was walking and cycling around with little white face masks on, a supply of which was available free from the hotel registration desk. You couldn't even see the outline of The Bund from just across the estuary, and a trip to the top of the TV tower was a complete waste of money, beacuse the viewing window was basically stuck in the middle of a cloud.

That'll be the variety of nice sulphur compounds, mainly from coal burn.

The air quality in UK cities, while not as bad as China is still pretty toxic. It is strange how we seem to ignore it over here, maybe because it is not visible. I wonder if people would drive quite as much if they realised the extent of the health implications?

Gangster capitalism.

They undercut our more efficient and cleaner industrial processes with cheap labour and poor environmental controls. Our governments should have placed stringent import controls on them years ago.

The air quality in UK cities, while not as bad as China is still pretty toxic. It is strange how we seem to ignore it over here, maybe because it is not visible. I wonder if people would drive quite as much if they realised the extent of the health implications?

It depends on nice sunny days in the summer you can see a real nice haze..

This is propaganda at its finest.

If you want to understand the territory, here's a map :-

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-11-05/beijing-to-reduce-new-vehicle-license-plates-by-38-daily-says.html

Beijing will cut the annual number of new license plates to 150,000 in 2014 from 240,000 now, according to the report posted on the city government’s website today. By 2017, 90,000 of the plates will go to conventional autos, with the rest reserved for new-energy vehicles, the report said.

What Bloomberg don't say, is that the majority of these licenses will go to Chinese auto manufacturers.

A simultaneous poke in the eye for the entire German manufacturing complex, as well as the American EV industry.

Didn't someone here once say something about protectionism, then war?

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-11-06/chinas-nsa-foiled-smog

Chinese officials are worried. Not about inflation... not about growth... not even about pollution per se... but security. As the South China Morning Post reports, government officials are raising concerns about the function of its vast network of surveillance cameras because of the thick smog blocking visibility for some of them. In a truly central-planned world, there is nothing more dangerous that not being able to keep an eye on the population and officials fear that threat of terrorism could be heightened on smoggy days. Improving air quality in China has been often discussed but a new military team is looking for a solution (as security trumps health it would appear) - harsher punishments on polluters are needed to help improve air quality in China, a senior Chinese official said here on Tuesday.

So,

China Invasion 101 - Wait for a smoggy day...

Via South China Morning Post,

To the central government, the smog that blankets the country is not just a health hazard, it's a threat to national security.

Last month visibility in Harbin dropped to below three metres because of heavy smog. On days like these, no surveillance camera can see through the thick layers of particles, say scientists and engineers.

To the authorities, this is a serious national security concern.

Existing technology, such as infrared imaging, can help cameras see through fog or smoke at a certain level, but the smog on the mainland these days is a different story. The particles are so many and so solid, they block light almost as effectively as a brick wall.

Will something get done if it's a security risk? Feck peoples health if we can't see what they are doing it's a problem!