House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
worried1

Football Pay Even More Ridiculous Than We Thought?

I came across this story on the BBC website today:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24821694

The main point of the story of course is how ridiculous it is that a promising young footballer is earning 'only' £850 per week.

The part that caught my eye is that some 'kit men' earn more than that! £50k a year to pack up the kit and wash it after the game? Nice work if you can get it, and actually makes the £50k train driver seem a bit more reasonable.

I had previously assumed that football clubs just paid astronomical wages for the 'talent' on the playing and management staff, and that the support staff would earn broadly normal wages. It seems just by association, all of these roles pay over the odds as well.

It has got me wondering how much the person who washes the uniforms for our staff restauran earn!

The part that caught my eye is that some 'kit men' earn more than that! £50k a year to pack up the kit and wash it after the game? Nice work if you can get it, and actually makes the £50k train driver seem a bit more reasonable.

Assuming that it's true.

My guess is that it's a factoid made up for the article or maybe some bluster from a players agent reported as fact.

Better comparison would be people who do comparable work for Hollywood, or for professional concert or theatre venues. After all, football is nothing more than a branch of the entertainment industry. Never saw the point of it myself, but clearly there are an awful lot of people who are happy to pay silly money to see a bunch of ultra-spoilt brats kicking a ball around a prescribed area.

Nor would I begrudge them silly money. At least so long as it's Sky subscribers - who have choice - paying, rather than taxpayers. I suspect that's only partially true in practice, and taxpayers are on the hook for a lot of the costs of training youngsters.

Better comparison would be people who do comparable work for Hollywood, or for professional concert or theatre venues. After all, football is nothing more than a branch of the entertainment industry. Never saw the point of it myself, but clearly there are an awful lot of people who are happy to pay silly money to see a bunch of ultra-spoilt brats kicking a ball around a prescribed area.

Nor would I begrudge them silly money. At least so long as it's Sky subscribers - who have choice - paying, rather than taxpayers. I suspect that's only partially true in practice, and taxpayers are on the hook for a lot of the costs of training youngsters.

+1

I would add that the reason any of them can earn so much money is due to copyright legislation though. Being able to legally (read: violently) monopolise who can watch broadcast material (along with where and when) can be lucrative, much like other forms of rent seeking.

Not sure how much of a "choice" we have. Football gets tax breaks through massive offshore loans which means they are always "losing money" when in fact all the loans are provided by the owners through off shore vehicles to lower their tax rates. As long as increasing debt reduces tax payments which CEO wouldn't do it? 20% to HMRC or 3% to yourself / even a bank to provide funds to buy more expensive football players.

In some jurisdictions the sport as even circumvented laws. Christiano Ronaldo's contract, for instance, has been passed to the ECB by the bank that provided the loan as a "bad asset" in exchange for cash at 100% on the dollar i.e no losses.

David Beckham only paid his salary at PSG to charity because if he were to draw a salary in France he would be taxed on his world wide earnings so he'd lose a lot more than £5m. At least he gave it to charity - others would have found alternative payment means - but its not altruistic as it looks - nothing ever is.

I'd argue it's a pretty key support staff role.

Vital to ensure the squad of millionaires all have the right equipment at exactly the right time for all home and away games, incl. reserve team games, U21,19s, academy etc etc at the top clubs.

If anything I'm surprised it's not a fair bit higher.

+1

I would add that the reason any of them can earn so much money is due to copyright legislation though. Being able to legally (read: violently) monopolise who can watch broadcast material (along with where and when) can be lucrative, much like other forms of rent seeking.

Basically, in your world, no one earns anything directly from anything that can be duplicated. So, no high-budget films get made, fewer good books get written, and so on?

I'm not saying we're not being over-charged and ripped-off, but your solution is worse.

That aside, what do you think of this:

https://buy.louisck.net/purchase/oh-my-god

To those who might wish to "torrent" these shows:

Look, I don't really get the whole "torrent" thing. I don't know enough about it to judge either way. But I'd just like you to consider this: I made these files extremely easy to use against well-informed advice. I was told that it would be easier to torrent the way I made it, but I chose to do it this way anyway, because I want it to be easy for people to watch and enjoy this video in any way they want without "corporate" restrictions.

Please bear in mind that I am not a company or a corporation. I'm just some guy. I paid for the production and posting of this video with my own money. I would like to be able to post more material to the fans in this way, which makes it cheaper for the buyer and more pleasant for me. So, please help me keep this being a good idea. I can't stop you from torrenting; all I can do is politely ask you to pay your five little dollars, enjoy the show, and let other people find it in the same way.

Sincerely,

Louis C.K.

There's probably a market for them on teh interwebs.

Ah. The old "Tom Sawyer" strategy...

edit to add: my father used to know a spiv who would get into race meets for free by turning up with a sack full of rags, and striding through the competitors' entrance announcing "jockeys' washing"

Edited by tomandlu

Paying anyone involved with kicking a bag of air around a field could be viewed as being a little ridiculous.

Distraction requires bread and circuses.

It's interesting that the circus goers happily distract themselves with a circus funded through their very own menstrual Sky tax.

Paying anyone involved with kicking a bag of air around a field could be viewed as being a little ridiculous.

Distraction requires bread and circuses.

It's interesting that the circus goers happily distract themselves with a circus funded through their very own menstrual Sky tax.

Bores the crap out of me, but keeps the wife and eldest endlessly involved. It's more like substitute warfare than entertainment afaict (at least for the supporters).

Bores the crap out of me, but keeps the wife and eldest endlessly involved. It's more like substitute warfare than entertainment afaict (at least for the supporters).

Very good point. Get people to burn their natural tribal warfare instincts on a game of footy, then they will be too sated to take part in the next poll tax riots.

The taxpayers are on the hook for more than training the youngsters given the number of benefit claimants / pensioners who have Sky.

The taxpayers are on the hook for more than training the youngsters given the number of benefit claimants / pensioners who have Sky.

That's 3 or 4 steps removed. The taxpayer hands over to the government, which chooses to hand over to the beneficiaries, who choose to buy sky, who choose to pay the FA or whatever, who pay the clubs, who pay the managers/players.

I can almost understand being a paying supporter of Man U - they seem to have a few loyal players who play for the club long term.

Why would anyone support any of the other clubs? All their Sky/strip taxes go to French/German/Brazilian/Etc players who really couldn't give a sheet about the publicly listed/Russian/Emirates owned private companies that they might play for over a few years, before wandering off to the next company that pays them more. The transfer market is proof that the millionaire players couldn't give two hoots about the clubs they play for.

Wouldn't it be more meaningful to go and play 5 a side with a few mates?

Why would anyone support any of the other clubs?

Fixed it for you. It's an odd thing to observe. My wife and son would agree with you (apart from Man U being exempt). However, they seem to support the idea of their team rather than the reality. What I find extraordinary is the lack of humour in defeat.

Wouldn't it be more meaningful to go and play 5 a side with a few mates?

Well, duh.

Basically, in your world, no one earns anything directly from anything that can be duplicated. So, no high-budget films get made, fewer good books get written, and so on?

I'm not saying we're not being over-charged and ripped-off, but your solution is worse.

That aside, what do you think of this:

https://buy.louisck.net/purchase/oh-my-god

That's a straw man argument. There are many ways to monetise such things without resorting to threatening people.

For example, football fields are surrounded with bill board ads, which are seen on copies too. The same goes for their shirts. You can't even edit them out like you could with ad breaks (if you could be arsed). Then there are ticket and official merchandise sales. Loads of ways to make money there.

Even the commentators are starting to admit how dreary the Drearyship football is. It can only be a bit of leftover partisanship that keeps supporters going to the matches as it can't be the football.