House Price Crash Forum

Welsh Government's £48K Wind Turbine Creates £5 Of Power A Month

The Masked Tulip

HOLA441

Bargain! I mean, it is one of the few things that the Welsh Assembly have spent public money on that actually generates an income :rolleyes:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-24844182

Edit:

At that rate it would take around 452 years to offset the cost of buying and installing the turbine.

I wonder if they have allowed for compound interest on the original 48K :D

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Bargain! I mean, it is one of the few things that the Welsh Assembly have spent public money on that actually generates an income :rolleyes:

Edit:

I had a similar issue at a council I I worked at 5 years ago. They proposed to spend £40K on some roof mounted chocolate teapots. I suggested that a much more environmental friendly and financially effective way of investing in wind power would be by putting the money into a wind power community scheme building utility scale wind turbines. The annual return on these is about 8-9%.

Of course the townhall mounted chocolate teapots was the preferred method :rolleyes:

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

How long will it take for the £16 billion nuclear power stations to 'pay back', including a few extra £billion in clean up costs?

I guess that depends on how you measure the cost of not having to have blackouts.

The really, really stupid one is having a massive natural energy resource like the Severn Estuary and not using it.

That place, with a combination of barrages, tidal pools and windfarms, maybe even some tidal turbines if the tech comes on a bit, could be generating a huge amount of energy within a few years. If we can afford to bribe the French and Chinese to build the nukes, why not the barrages and tidal pools?

I would guess that none of the Bullingdon club or their friends have relevant financial interests in the Severn projects so that would be why they shelved it so soon after election.

HOLA4412

I guess that depends on how you measure the cost of not having to have blackouts.

The really, really stupid one is having a massive natural energy resource like the Severn Estuary and not using it.

That place, with a combination of barrages, tidal pools and windfarms, maybe even some tidal turbines if the tech comes on a bit, could be generating a huge amount of energy within a few years. If we can afford to bribe the French and Chinese to build the nukes, why not the barrages and tidal pools?

I would guess that none of the Bullingdon club or their friends have relevant financial interests in the Severn projects so that would be why they shelved it so soon after election.

closer to the truth than you know. I remember a source I knew well who worked for the old CEGB saying that when it was nuclear vs tidal planning, nukes won because i) it gave materials for our weapons and ii) none of the pollies mates could see a way of getting rich off it. That was back in the 70's and early 80's....

HOLA4413

Edit:

Some completely incoherent figures in that article.

The bloke from the turbine company says it's in the wrong place and a turbine that size in the right place should produce 9000kwh a year, which seems quite good.

It is stated elsewhere that it's now operating at 68% capacity, generating 55.25 Kwh per month.

What?

:blink:

HOLA4414

Some completely incoherent figures in that article.

The bloke from the turbine company says it's in the wrong place and a turbine that size in the right place should produce 9000kwh a year, which seems quite good.

It is stated elsewhere that it's now operating at 68% capacity, generating 55.25 Kwh per month.

What?

Is it one of those foil windmills you give to kids, hooked up to a 3V motor?

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Might as well be. Grid tied micro turbines on buildings are feckin useless - air flows are too turbulent plus you dont have the economy of scale with a MW sized turbine.

Are they any use for anything? I suppose you can't rely on them and really need some way of storing the power generated.

HOLA4417

Are they any use for anything? I suppose you can't rely on them and really need some way of storing the power generated.

Off grid locations for storing batteries they are useful - especially if they save you from having to haul diesel to a generator. Grid connections = chocolate teapot.

Utility scale wind turbines have got bigger for a reason - economy of scale, height, and better output.

HOLA4418

closer to the truth than you know. I remember a source I knew well who worked for the old CEGB saying that when it was nuclear vs tidal planning, nukes won because i) it gave materials for our weapons and ii) none of the pollies mates could see a way of getting rich off it. That was back in the 70's and early 80's....

Plenty of room for both, to be honest.

HOLA4419

How long will it take for the £16 billion nuclear power stations to 'pay back', including a few extra £billion in clean up costs?

Just to clarify: 'pay back' for who? EDF, or the taxpayer (the guy's who's promised to buy the leccy at twice today's price, and to clean up the mess afterwards)?

HOLA4420

Depends whether you're only counting the direct financial costs or the less direct benefits of having a reliable, continuous electricity supply or not.

HOLA4421

Very, very roughly:

I think the combined capacity of the plants is 6,400 Mw, the wholesale price today is about £55 so the plants will earn £350,000 per hour.

£16bn/£350,000 gives approximately 45,000 hours of operation to payback the capital investment, which is roughly 5 1/2 years.

Which ignores operating costs, I'm not sure what other costs are included in the £16bn figure, also for some reason we've guaranteed a price of £95 per hour for the output.

But as a rough estimate say 5 years out of a probable 30 year life.

HOLA4422

Very, very roughly:

I think the combined capacity of the plants is 6,400 Mw, the wholesale price today is about £55 so the plants will earn £350,000 per hour.

£16bn/£350,000 gives approximately 45,000 hours of operation to payback the capital investment, which is roughly 5 1/2 years.

Which ignores operating costs, I'm not sure what other costs are included in the £16bn figure, also for some reason we've guaranteed a price of £95 per hour for the output.

I recall construction costs for new build nuke consititute about 65-70% of life time costs. Fuel only represents about 3%.

HOLA4423

Very, very roughly:

So they'll get 608k per hour which after a few years, depending on operating costs will be mostly profit.

What a fabulous investment. Except that EDF aren't British and we're talking GBP here, and as GBP won't be worth anything in a few years that may reduce the brilliance of this deal from their point of view.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Off grid locations for storing batteries they are useful - especially if they save you from having to haul diesel to a generator. Grid connections = chocolate teapot.

Utility scale wind turbines have got bigger for a reason - economy of scale, height, and better output.

Yes I read of some Americans that made a wind generator, by carving the blades and sticking powerful magnets on an old brake disk. The coils were set in epoxy and it kept their battery in their "hunting lodge" charged! I'll bet they were well "off grid" to make this worthwhile. Still I'll wager it works better than those plastic ones from Maplins.

Archived