House Price Crash Forum
The Masked Tulip

Us Expat Describes The Best And Worst Things About England

The infrastructure of the country is in a much better state...there are no derelict buildings or crumbling roads.

She clearly needs to visit Sheffield for an example of crumbling roads and we have a few nice derelict buildings as well.

She's right about the size of the houses though - ridiculous. All of South London should be razed to the ground and rebuilt as apartment blocks with underground parking and storage and large US/European style apartments and wide streets between them. But there's no chance of getting the people to move out for a few years for that to happen. ;)

Mostly reasonable thinking, but really, like from most hacks these days, for 'England' read 'London and the SE.'

& Basements in London? Nice in theory, but all that water table buy some waders.

Well, we don't have a drier - no room - but we never got the rage over it. I do miss window screens to keep the bugs out though.

The NHS (or rather, the horrific US health insurance system) is one of the things that keeps us from going back. And the countryside/right to roam. Love the free museums too.

As to housing, after 18 years living here I still find the phrase 'semi-detached' semi-hilarious.

Edited by happily renting

Pretty good I thought. I lived in the US for a few years so can see the points. I had a big drier over there, much bigger than any UK tumble drier.

All US appliances seem to be huge. Standard size ovens are much bigger than ours, for what? You could get half an elephant in many of them. For ordinary purposes they are surely very wasteful of energy My sister in US would prefer a smaller double oven like wot I've got - I mostly use the small one - but apparently they aren't generally available.

As for driers, my sister informs me that at least in her part of the US (Mass). drying clothes on a washing line is a sign of either dire poverty or madness. To be fair they do have very long orrible winters where you couldn't dry anything outside anyway.

No man made drier, but you never miss what you have never had.

In spite of this, Britain is a place that you can come to love as your own. The countryside is stunningly beautiful and I am grateful for the hours I spend driving in it. Bunnies hop, pheasant fly and fox dash around me every day. Yet London remains close at hand.

The Brits have extremely strict zoning restrictions and there are no 'strip malls' -- not anywhere. So you drive for an hour straight and won't see a petrol (gas) station or any commercial building sticking out like a sore thumb.

There is a deep love and care for the countryside that makes it compelling, and you can never tire of it. It is the work of a thousand years -- a landscape built by man, layer by layer. A masterpiece.

A masterpiece. :)

Well, we don't have a drier - no room - but we never got the rage over it. I do miss window screens to keep the bugs out though.

The NHS (or rather, the horrific US health insurance system) is one of the things that keeps us from going back. And the countryside/right to roam. Love the free museums too.

As to housing, after 18 years living here I still find the phrase 'semi-detached' semi-hilarious.

+1

Lack of healthcare, lack of right to roam (i.e you will either get sued or shot) and, outside of NY and Santa Monica, a cultural blandness - I even found SF lacking culturally which surprised me.

I read an article a few week before James Gandolfini died earlier this year where he had visited a friend in London who, a journalist and writer, was living in a flat above a shop. James Gandolfini apparently could not believe that his friend was famous and well paid but could only afford to live in such a tiny place.

I think he said something like: "They do know that you are famous right!?" :D

...another totally stupid article where the writer does not check facts or compare like for like...you need to compare central London with Manhattan or San Francisco not suburban sprawl..what you are actually comparing is victorian age cities with 1960's age cities...

US Expat Describes The Best And Worst Things About England

It's a US Expat opinion of course but are those really the best and worst. Incredible.

Seems a hefty chunk of rose tinted glasses.

Edited by billybong

I think much depends on your status. If you're a lawyer I imagine the US is an awesome place to be, less so here. Ditto doctor, though doctors are paid well here they make silly money in the US because the US health consumer is utterly stitched up.

On the other hand most of the Americans I know socially are of the poor sort, and hearing of one very nice girl's apparently truly hellish existence working in a call centre in Texas, so poor she couldn't even afford food, is quite shocking. I know that sort of job is no party anywhere but in the US it seemed far far worse than here. Didn't help she has asthma too.

She's studying here now and thinks it's way better here, though she says she misses having space - even being broke in Texas gets you a place double the size of here, and pets no problem, unlike here. Housing, again. Solve that problem and the UK would be a far, far nicer place to live.

Good article, with the exception of this line:

"The World Cup rivals the Super Bowl, however."

That'll be the World Cup, whose final is watched by a global audience of 2bn, as opposed to a game played by one country alone and is designed to shoehorn as many adverts in between as possible!

No man made drier, but you never miss what you have never had.

A masterpiece. :)

Yes, I like this bit

"The countryside is stunningly beautiful and I am grateful for the hours I spend driving in it"

She can't buy a drier?

Even I have a drier!

She could - although she's probably renting and won't be able to re-arrange stuff to make space for it - but, even if she did, it would be 25% the size of the ones we have in North America.

She could - although she's probably renting and won't be able to re-arrange stuff to make space for it - but, even if she did, it would be 25% the size of the ones we have in North America.

get your facts right... a quick check shows a US LG dryer 68x101 cm a UK one 59 x 84cm's, smaller but not the exaggerated differences claimed in these types of articles, ...

She's studying here now and thinks it's way better here, though she says she misses having space - even being broke in Texas gets you a place double the size of here, and pets no problem, unlike here. Housing, again. Solve that problem and the UK would be a far, far nicer place to live.

The problem is that many people think high prices are good - so solving the problem is a bit tricky.

Yup, space is the problem, as ever.

Colleague at work is getting a dishwasher finally, he wanted one for 15 years, only now is he going for it. Got permission from the landlord to mess with the plumbing. Given he's renting that doesn't sound so good to me, paying to do up the landlords pad. But if he wants it, that's what he has to do... bummer

get your facts right... a quick check shows a US LG dryer 68x101 cm a UK one 59 x 84cm's, smaller but not the exaggerated differences claimed in these types of articles, ...

You left out the third dimension, what you want is the volume.

Some years ago a guy I knew in Ireland was selling concrete. He sold it by the yard (cubic). Later he sold it by the metre (cubic). You asked him for a price for concrete or a delivery of concrete you got the same thing whether you asked by the yard or by the metre. After all, a yard and a metre are not much different. one is 36 inches the other is 39.37. A shade over a tenth. Now cube them and see the difference. The same thing will apply to the driers.:)

Anyway, more to the point, I had to look up where she was talking about to find out where in the land an NHS doctor would ring you up in the evening to let you know what was going on.

Singapura writes:

I'm currently considering to move from Singapore to London and have been looking at
Ilford
which seems the same kind of village you're living now.

Petworth and Ilford the same? :lol:

I have been to Singapore many times - and was born in Ilford.

Singapura will get quite a nasty shock - moving from one of the most prosperous cohesive societies in the world with no crime and high quality infrastructure to an absolute dump. Sadly - that is what my home town has become!

Don't do it - stay in Singapore! :D