House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MT7726

Disabled Parking Bay

Hi,

Don't know where to turn for this issue, couldn't find anything on Google, any advice please on where I stand on this issue?

My neighbour's house has a disabled parking bay outside that house. It was placed there originally for a disabled person, who has now long moved elsewhere but lets out that house to other tenants (who are not disabled). Still, it does not stop the new tenants from parking in the bay and for them to think that it is their dedicated parking space from their landlord.

This evening I parked in that bay (because of no other parking space available and the rest of the road is free public parking) the tenants came around to tell me to move it. I requested them to show evidence/ their disabled blue badges. Since they didn't produce any evidence, I told them to f* off.

Does anyone know the rules about these disabled parking bays and where I stand on this issue?

I believe no-one is permitted to park there unless they have a badge.

We had this with a neighbour. When she moved away the council were contacted and they removed the bay by painting in black over the lines. Just give the council a call.

I believe no-one is permitted to park there unless they have a badge.

We had this with a neighbour. When she moved away the council were contacted and they removed the bay by painting in black over the lines. Just give the council a call.

I thought off topc had previously established this marking was entirely unenforceable.

If the bay is in a residential street and the person it was placed for has moved on then contact the council.

They will almost certainly remove it unless the homeowner/tenant can show a reason for it being there.

Legally if someone parks in it without a badge they are at grave risk of being ticketed, irrespective of where it is and who they are. This includes these tenants......

I know of a case in London where the disabled person moved away and the bay was removed the following week.

Whatever the rights or wrongs. You are probably greatly increasing your chances of a new tyre/wing mirror/windscreen wiper bill in the near future.

Whatever the rights or wrongs. You are probably greatly increasing your chances of a new tyre/wing mirror/windscreen wiper bill in the near future.

I think you may be right, judging by this guy's character I confronted this evening. I fear it may be a forthcoming event when the parking bay is removed by the council, and when he becomes bitter from having to walk several yards to his house since he will no longer be able to park right outside it any more. Will have to keep a watchful eye on my car from now on.

Thanks for the good advice, will be contacting the council tomorrow morning.

I believe that a disabled parking bay is concessionary and nothing else. He doesn`t have the sole right to park there backed by law.

PS Unless it has a sign by it designating it as a bay (as opposed to just white lines) which any disabled person can then use.........if the bay is outside your house it does not belong to you and any Blue Badge holder can park in it.

There are two massive disabled bays, out of a total of 5 bays, at the quite small gym I go to. Never understood that.

If I go a whole year without seeing anyone use them I'm going to use them myself...

There are two massive disabled bays, out of a total of 5 bays, at the quite small gym I go to. Never understood that.

If I go a whole year without seeing anyone use them I'm going to use them myself...

Most UK supermarket car park design planning seems to assume it's a plausible scenario that an entire wheelchair basketball team, all choosing to travel independently, may arrive to do their weekly shop at approximately the same time.

Most UK supermarket car park design planning seems to assume it's a plausible scenario that an entire wheelchair basketball team, all choosing to travel independently, may arrive to do their weekly shop at approximately the same time.

Speaking as a disabled driver, I find supermarket car parks have far more parent & child parking spaces - for able-bodied, incompetent parents who are unable to supervise their children while walking through a car park.

Speaking as a disabled driver, I find supermarket car parks have far more parent & child parking spaces - for able-bodied, incompetent parents who are unable to supervise their children while walking through a car park.

Not the case in my part of Wales, when you've got a 4 year old and a three month old to get out of the car the extra width is necessary, especially with the car seat. If there are no parent and child spaces I will park in a disabled space.

Not the case in my part of Wales, when you've got a 4 year old and a three month old to get out of the car the extra width is necessary, especially with the car seat. If there are no parent and child spaces I will park in a disabled space.

Thank you. Now I know why I can't shop on my bad days when I can't get a space near enough the shop.

Would be my first thoughts. I don't even like to obviously park outside somebodies house in case they decide to seek similar retribution, however unlikley. Like a true housepricecrasher I always find free residential streets to park on when visiting any town (even if its a mile out) to avoid parking charges, but always go for something inconspicuous behind a hedge preferably.

I thought off topc had previously established this marking was entirely unenforceable.

Depends what you are talking about, for private companies it's unenforceable, local councils it's a totally different matter. Regardless my opinion has always been I'd rather avoid the hassle of getting involved in legal arguments with companies/councils even if ultimately it would fall in your favour.

As to the issue at hand, two routes depending on how vindictive you are. As said, ring the council and it should be gone in a few weeks. Alternative is find a local traffic warden, if it's a residential street with no other or limited restrictions it possibly won't be on there normal route, however if you told them that there was a guaranteed ticket waiting for them everyday they would be more than happily take a walk up a side street to top up their quota for the week.

Thank you. Now I know why I can't shop on my bad days when I can't get a space near enough the shop.

You've obviously never been to Wales, it's the world capital for disabled people (judging by the sheer amount of disabled spaces in supermarkets).

I will say I would not take a disabled spot if there were only a few left, or if I'm just with my 4 year old, or I can't get a space on the end, I'm not a complete ******* :).

Sometimes needs must.

You've obviously never been to Wales, it's the world capital for disabled people (judging by the sheer amount of disabled spaces in supermarkets).

I will say I would not take a disabled spot if there were only a few left, or if I'm just with my 4 year old, or I can't get a space on the end, I'm not a complete ******* :).

Sometimes needs must.

I forgive you. :) TBH, I do most of my shopping online to avoid the trauma of trying to walk while staying upright and looking for the items on my shopping list. At this time of year, crowds are a nightmare, too

My street (and the surrounding streets) are notorious for parking and all the residents in this area do realise it. Despite it being a town centre road and close to so many amenities (shopping centre, bars, popular shops, train station, religious establishments) there are no restrictions placed on this road for its residents. Its a free for all, and the chances of a resident parking outside their house are slim to none. I have had it bad myself too, eg, non-residents parking outside my house for as long as 4 weeks whilst they head off on their vacation. Even today, I have another car which has sat outside my house for the last 3 weeks, but there is nothing I can do about it (I'm not the sort who would go about damaging cars). Neighbours put their wheely bins on the streets so no one takes their parking spaces, but none of the other residents (and I suspect non-residents) abides to this, and shift them away. I find the whole thing very frustrating and unnecessary.

What made me really angry about yesterday's encounter was that the guy had the nerve to tell me to move my car, when he himself has no right to park in that spot, and has been abusing the system for well over 3 / 4 months. I am also surprised that none of my neighbours have picked up on this, when they themselves have also had to park far away, or sometimes in the next street.

Anyway, I have requested the council to remove the sign and line outside his house. I can't wait to see his beloved parking spot being taken away from him. Then, some holiday maker on their 5-6 week vacation parked outside his house would be the icing on the cake.

My street (and the surrounding streets) are notorious for parking and all the residents in this area do realise it. Despite it being a town centre road and close to so many amenities (shopping centre, bars, popular shops, train station, religious establishments) there are no restrictions placed on this road for its residents. Its a free for all, and the chances of a resident parking outside their house are slim to none. I have had it bad myself too, eg, non-residents parking outside my house for as long as 4 weeks whilst they head off on their vacation. Even today, I have another car which has sat outside my house for the last 3 weeks, but there is nothing I can do about it (I'm not the sort who would go about damaging cars). Neighbours put their wheely bins on the streets so no one takes their parking spaces, but none of the other residents (and I suspect non-residents) abides to this, and shift them away. I find the whole thing very frustrating and unnecessary.

What made me really angry about yesterday's encounter was that the guy had the nerve to tell me to move my car, when he himself has no right to park in that spot, and has been abusing the system for well over 3 / 4 months. I am also surprised that none of my neighbours have picked up on this, when they themselves have also had to park far away, or sometimes in the next street.

Anyway, I have requested the council to remove the sign and line outside his house. I can't wait to see his beloved parking spot being taken away from him. Then, some holiday maker on their 5-6 week vacation parked outside his house would be the icing on the cake.

I lived in a road like that.....it is a price you have to pay for being near all the facilities, bus stops, restaurants, post office, general store, pub, underground, main line station, park, school......you want a garage or personal drive or parking spot to park the car, move to another area....the public roads are public, anyone has a right to park outside your house....I know I have blocked the road unloading my potatoes and toilet rolls from the car, or else I had to park ages away and do two or three trips with heavy shopping bags, same as people in flats without a lift do.....phone the council and get the disabled place removed, you create an extra parking place but anyone can use it. ;)

I've seen plenty of action around the disabled bay parking area.

People driving up in massive new 4x4s and sprinting into the shop and out again. People with no badges parking. People fighting and shouting over spaces. It's all there.

I would never fight over a disabled parking bay, though I do roll up in a 4 x 4. If they're full and I can't get parked near enough, I just give up and go home.

I would never fight over a disabled parking bay, though I do roll up in a 4 x 4. If they're full and I can't get parked near enough, I just give up and go home.

I hate it when people park too closely next me as I have to get out through the trunk! I should get a hearse really. :blink: