Sign in to follow this  
honkydonkey

Interesting Self Build Blog In The Us

1. Buy an acre

2. Divide into 13 plots

3. Build a moveable structure

4. Occupy for 28 days, move it to next plot

5. Rinse and repeat.

Looks legal in the UK as far as I can see.

Structures like that would place limits on occupancy though, wouldn't they? Like a holiday home? 10mnths (or summat.) max?

It is a great link. thanks to the OP.

1. Buy an acre

2. Divide into 13 plots

3. Build a moveable structure

4. Occupy for 28 days, move it to next plot

5. Rinse and repeat.

Looks legal in the UK as far as I can see.

Nice Idea, you could put a mobile home on wheels or buy a double decker to convert.

The problem is the planning officer and council can put a restriction on the whole parcel of land. I have heard about this happening before on the fieldtofarm forum.

Nice Idea, you could put a mobile home on wheels or buy a double decker to convert.

The problem is the planning officer and council can put a restriction on the whole parcel of land. I have heard about this happening before on the fieldtofarm forum.

Its basically if someone informs on you and UK is a nation of informants.

What a great story. I love the way he calls it a cabin - it's as least as big as 90% of new-build in the UK!

The enclosed part of the house appears to be 20' square with a 10' square bedroom off the back. So 500 sq ft plus a crawl space above the bathroom, less if those are the external dimensions of the house. Actually that's apparently not far off the mark for a 1-bed in the u.k. it seems:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22152622

I'd find it a bit small, not enough storage space for all the stuff I've acquired over the years, but he's since built himself a pretty large garage and workshop, which would do me fine.

As others have said, it's a bit depressing in that we live in the least developed country (by land area) in Western Europe, and yet any attempt to build such a charming, eco-friendly house on a little plot here would almost certainly get brutally stamped upon :( .

I was going to post a couple of photos of my cousin and her husband's self build in Ireland around their static caravan but cannot upload images.

Just upload to imgur or dropbox and put the link into HPC ;)