House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

scrappycocco

Tumble Dryer

All I can say is WOW, flipping dry clothes. No more clothing with bits of damp on it. I sure could get accustomed to the way you rich people live.

Never had one, but I did buy a new washing machine this year! It seems to spin fast enough that the items do not need much drying! ;)

Let's have a "domestic appliances for men" thread? :blink:

What a posh git ;)

I quite like hanging them up inside on those extendable frames (yes, with a window open before anybody chips in). It allows me to pretend that I'm doing the washing whilst I'm actually reading a book.

Our tumble dryer broke down last week. In the past I'd have taken it to the tip and bought another one but HPC is making me thrifty. I've diagnosed it as a broken thermostat and the spare has turned up in the post today so I'll be fixing it later. Hopefully.

Don't like living without one.

Stand by for the 'hit' on the leccy bill.....

Yes, they certainly use quite a bit. :blink:

Stand by for the 'hit' on the leccy bill.....

Yes indeed. Used to use ours all the time - so much less ironing apart from anything else, but now I hardly ever do.

One alternative that's very good is the Lakeland electric airer. I bought one for daughter last year as she has no room for a tumble dryer and has warm air heating, so can't even drape anything over radiators. In wet wintry weather it was taking her days to dry anything like sheets or jeans. The airer takes up very little floor space, and you can fold it down to half so it takes even less. Costs about 5p an hour to run - that's the larger one, there is a smaller version. I am told it dries a whole machine load overnight, inc. things like jeans.

Interesting about the new washing machine almost drying them.

They have cunning wee spinners in some swimming pools that take a few seconds to dry your suit.

I wonder if they could incorporate that into a washing machine. I imagine it must do something other than just spin. Maybe not.

No such money pit as a drying machine in this house. Mrs JTB hangs things on a washing line au naturale.

Her friends have accused me of barbarity and reckon we'd have a medieval privvy and bash the laundry on rocks in the river without their civilising influence. They're probably right.

Guest eight

Our tumble dryer broke down last week. In the past I'd have taken it to the tip and bought another one but HPC is making me thrifty. I've diagnosed it as a broken thermostat and the spare has turned up in the post today so I'll be fixing it later. Hopefully.

We used to have one, till one of the girders from Mrs. E's (36E) bra broke free from its moorings and found its way into the gubbins. The light show was good though, while it lasted.

Did you check power was getting to the element?

Element breakdowns are very common on tumble dryers. I must have changed half a dozen over the years.

Did you check power was getting to the element?

Element breakdowns are very common on tumble dryers. I must have changed half a dozen over the years.

Yep. I used a multimeter to detect that one of the thermostats was knackered. I bought a spare, replaced the dodgy one, put it back together, switched it on and the inside of the drum glowed bright orange.

Turns out I damaged the heating elements putting it back together and two of them were touching each other and welded themselves together.

Back to Plan A - buy a new tumble dryer.

Normally, we hang our (1400rpm spun dry(damp)) clothes and use a dehumidifier which is effective however in emergencies such as the one last w/end with two sickly children we have a tumble drier. On Monday our smart meter told us we used £4.97s worth of electricity £3 more than normal for a full day of drying isn't going to break the bank but replacing shrunken clothes might.

Guest eight

Yep. I used a multimeter to detect that one of the thermostats was knackered. I bought a spare, replaced the dodgy one, put it back together, switched it on and the inside of the drum glowed bright orange.

Turns out I damaged the heating elements putting it back together and two of them were touching each other and welded themselves together.

That's unlucky. Although you could consider it lucky that they didn't make the drum live or anything stupid like that. We had fridge, telly, car exhaust and battery all fail in the course of last week, now that was an expensive few days.

Indesit - £179

Zanussi - £235

AEG - £271

Is it worth spending the extra? All hold the same but the Zanussi and AEG have a sensor thingie so they switch themselves off when stuff is dry.

Bad darts there.

Managed to rescue mine with the stuck bra wire with no further damage to the machine.

This is why I'm too cheap to buy a property, I bought a white knight because it was made in the UK and it was cheap. I did not think to question whether it had any useful features, only that it dry clothes. So I bought cheap and will now be punished with a huge electric bill, I do not move well in these posh circles. To console me surely, on the front of the machine it says "most reliable dryer brand 2011" and the usual "apply now for your 1 year guarantee as we don't know the law on this".

This is why I'm too cheap to buy a property, I bought a white knight because it was made in the UK and it was cheap. I did not think to question whether it had any useful features, only that it dry clothes. So I bought cheap and will now be punished with a huge electric bill, I do not move well in these posh circles. To console me surely, on the front of the machine it says "most reliable dryer brand 2011" and the usual "apply now for your 1 year guarantee as we don't know the law on this".

Mine cost me a tenner. ****** the electricity.

Indesit - £179

Zanussi - £235

AEG - £271

Is it worth spending the extra? All hold the same but the Zanussi and AEG have a sensor thingie so they switch themselves off when stuff is dry.

Miele £1000

Miele £1000

I always promised myself a Miele washing machine once I got a bit of money, but unfortunately since I've been in the happy position of being able to afford one I've not had one break down on me. In my impecunious days my ancient secondhand Indesit decided it no longer wanted to fill itself with water, but I hardly called that a breakdown, just a minor inconvenience- fill it up via the powder drawer with a few jugfuls of cold water until it made a clicking noise and started rotating, and the job was a good 'un!

Surely you're going to have to do a LOT of drying before you've saved £800 worth of electricity with your super efficient Miele? Interestingly this old Indesit claimed to have some sort of condenser drying system, I never really investigated if/how it worked.

Anyway, back on topic, if it's dark or raining and I can't put the clothes outside, I'm another fan of putting them on an indoor airer and then parking a dehumidifier next to them. Seems to work fine; even jeans dry out within 24 hours which is quick enough that they never end up smelling of damp.

I always promised myself a Miele washing machine once I got a bit of money, but unfortunately since I've been in the happy position of being able to afford one I've not had one break down on me. In my impecunious days my ancient secondhand Indesit decided it no longer wanted to fill itself with water, but I hardly called that a breakdown, just a minor inconvenience- fill it up via the powder drawer with a few jugfuls of cold water until it made a clicking noise and started rotating, and the job was a good 'un!

Surely you're going to have to do a LOT of drying before you've saved £800 worth of electricity with your super efficient Miele? Interestingly this old Indesit claimed to have some sort of condenser drying system, I never really investigated if/how it worked.

Anyway, back on topic, if it's dark or raining and I can't put the clothes outside, I'm another fan of putting them on an indoor airer and then parking a dehumidifier next to them. Seems to work fine; even jeans dry out within 24 hours which is quick enough that they never end up smelling of damp.

I'm a Miele fan boy.

Buy cheap, buy twice.

Yes it will take a few years to recoup the money but probably not as long as you think. I read a Which magazine test on tumble dryers and over 5 years many of the cheaper tumble dryers would end up costing more in total (purchase cost plus running) than the more expensive and efficient models. That test assumed drying 3 loads per week. Sometimes we do 3 a day! Probably average 2 a day or 14 per week so the running cost part of the equation is nearly 5 times the weighting Which gave. That's not even factoring repairs and replacement costs. I've had a Miele washing machine for 8 years now and it's performed faultlessly. Over the 8 years prior to the Miele purchase, I went through 2 hotpoints and 4 repairs to said machines, all of which added up to over twice the price of the Miele.

I've got no qualms about paying Miele's prices. From experience, the question isn't 'Can you afford to buy a Miele?' It's 'Can you afford not to buy a Miele?'