House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Drink Units

Somebody (I would post it if I could remember where) posted a QI clip saying that recommended weekly intakes are made up (we knew that) and include 21 here and 35 in Australia.

Now I've noticed on my Aldi Galahad lager (highly recommended) that it shows 2.0 units per can UK but 1.7 units per can for Ireland (I think). So not all units are equal? I feel that I've been conned :(

Intriguing:

One unit of alcohol is defined as 10 millilitres (7.9 grams) in the United Kingdom,[1] and as 12.7 millilitres (10 grams) in Australia.

Don't worry it gets better....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-488682/Safe-drinking-limits-simply-guess.html

Offical guidelines on safe alcohol limits were 'plucked out of the air' and overwhelming scientific evidence suggests they should be raised, it's been claimed.

The recommended limits, which have shaped health policy for the past 20 years, had no scientific basis, a member of the panel that drew them up admitted.

Subsequent studies showed that guidelines should be higher - but were ignored by successive governments.

The findings, despite their less than scientific origins, had a profound impact on health policy. Yet at the same time studies found that men drinking between 21 and 30 units of alcohol a week had the lowest mortality out of anyone in Britain.

And let's remember whenever these sorts of studies of drinkers/ smokers/ snackers are discussed the subjects are usually accused of understating their real consumption.

Stay in the pink with 40 units of drink :lol:

It was here:

QI video

Cheers tinker.

So not only do Australians have more units, their units are bigger! What a cheek :o

So they get 350 grams of alcohol a week, which in our piddling units equates to 44 units or 22 pints a week :o

I'm emigrating B)

Cheers tinker.

So not only do Australians have more units, their units are bigger! What a cheek :o

So they get 350 grams of alcohol a week, which in our piddling units equates to 44 units or 22 pints a week :o

I'm emigrating B)

Depends upon whether or not the stereotype of Aussie beer quality has any truth to it.

Its a bit confusing. The Australian guidlines state :

What do the guidelines recommend?

For healthy men and women, drinking no more than two standard drinks on any day reduces your risk of harm from alcohol-related disease or injury over a lifetime.

Drinking no more than four standard drinks on a single occasion reduces the risk of alcohol-related injury arising from that occasion.

Alcohol and health in Australia

Alcohol is responsible for a considerable burden of death, disease and injury in Australia. Drinking is a major factor in much of the injury resulting from road crashes and other accidents, and in social problems such as violence, family breakdown and child abuse and neglect. As such, alcohol-related harm is not restricted to individual drinkers but has relevance for families, bystanders and the broader community.

I reckon most damage from alcohol is because of the behavioural extremes it causes. I have never been into violence and by luck have never been in a traffic accident caused through drinking. So I guess what I`m saying is if you are level headed and lucky you can drink a fair amount and live long and happy!.

Its a bit confusing. The Australian guidlines state :

What do the guidelines recommend?

For healthy men and women, drinking no more than two standard drinks on any day reduces your risk of harm from alcohol-related disease or injury over a lifetime.

Drinking no more than four standard drinks on a single occasion reduces the risk of alcohol-related injury arising from that occasion.

The bit they're missing out is that drinking more than two standard drinks on any day may reduce your risk of harm from non alcohol-related disease over a lifetime

Basically, if you go teetotal as a middle-aged man you will, unsurprisingly enough, reduce your risk of contracting an alcohol related disease. However, you may very well reduce your overall life-expectancy in the process.

'Are YOU getting your four-a-day?'

The bit they're missing out is that drinking more than two standard drinks on any day may reduce your risk of harm from non alcohol-related disease over a lifetime

Basically, if you go teetotal as a middle-aged man you will, unsurprisingly enough, reduce your risk of contracting an alcohol related disease. However, you may very well reduce your overall life-expectancy in the process.

'Are YOU getting your four-a-day?'

I have now decided to eat my five a day with my four a day or maybe eight a day.....

I have now decided to eat my five a day with my four a day or maybe eight a day.....

An image I encountered a while back whilst reading up on Prohibition...

2yl33bn.jpg

I'm not entirely sure if that photo opportunity was completely legit or a cunning exercise in reverse psychology by the beer companies.