House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Errol

Debenhams Unveils Size 16 Mannequins

Shocking to see a major retailer doing this. Size 16 is not a healthy size (on the whole) and should not be encouraged or promoted as being normal or a good thing. Moreover, if size 16 is 'average' then this country is is big (heh) trouble. Correct if I'm wrong, but is it not the case that in the majority of people, size 16 is considered clinically obese?

Debenhams has made a step forward in promoting body confidence by becoming the first high-street retailer to permanently introduce size 16 mannequins.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2488259/Debenhams-unveils-size-16-mannequins-reflect-average-woman.html#

Shocking to see a major retailer doing this. Size 16 is not a healthy size (on the whole) and should not be encouraged or promoted as being normal or a good thing. Moreover, if size 16 is 'average' then this country is is big (heh) trouble.

Debenhams has made a step forward in promoting body confidence by becoming the first high-street retailer to permanently introduce size 16 mannequins.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2488259/Debenhams-unveils-size-16-mannequins-reflect-average-woman.html#

I'm just gonna post this again

http://www.funnymemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Funny-memes-real-men-have-curves.jpg

Edit: I certainly feel better about myself at 13 stone than I did at 17.

But whatever ladies, have another donut and feel better about yourselves. :lol:

Shocking to see a major retailer doing this. Size 16 is not a healthy size (on the whole) and should not be encouraged or promoted as being normal or a good thing. Moreover, if size 16 is 'average' then this country is is big (heh) trouble.

What is your evidence for saying "Size 16 is not a healthy size on the whole". Is it based on empirical research?

What is your evidence for saying "Size 16 is not a healthy size on the whole". Is it based on empirical research?

:lol:

Ask them to run for a bus and you'll soon see how healthy they are.

But would ccc?

Cheryl covers it quite nicely:

Cheryl1976, Liverpool, United Kingdom, moments ago

I can't believe some of the comments that this post has generated. I am sure that no-body aspires to be a size 16 and I doubt that these mannequins are going to make you obese. Shops have been selling larger sizes in clothes for ages, so clearly there is a need for the mannequins? I really don't see the fuss and I can't believe the hostility aimed at larger people, some of you should be ashamed of yourselves!

Every woman I know who is a size 16 (or larger) wants to be a 14 or a 12. They don't see 16 as their normal size, they see it as fat, but then again don't wish to be viewed as freaksihly obese. They try to lose the weight but in the meantime do need to wear something other than a burka or a onesie.

Ditto for men. Male mannequins are like full-sized action man models.

I don't see that this "real women are fat have curves" idea helps anybody. If size 16 is the size of a real woman then no women that I know aspire to be a real woman.

The Guardian article - http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/womens-blog/2013/nov/06/debenhams-size-16-mannequins-diversity - says the following:

The average woman in the UK is 5ft 3in tall, weighs 11 stone (70.2kg) and wears a size 16

Now there is surely no way this can be healthy. 5ft 3 and 11 stone? I'm male, 6ft and weigh bang on 12 stone (with a high muscle percentage and relatively low fat percentage).

For a small woman to weigh 11 stone means something is badly wrong. I think the healthy weight for someone that size is around 9 stone.

Oh my word. Is that a man in drag?

If you took away the long hair and put on a crew cut that is a man's face.

Hvae you seen Karen Gillan with a shaved head? It's amazing how much of the looks are in the hair and the make up. Matt Lucas makes a reasonably presentable woman as Marjorie of fat fighters; it's scary. And remember:

Always look at their hands.

The Guardian article - http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/womens-blog/2013/nov/06/debenhams-size-16-mannequins-diversity - says the following:

The average woman in the UK is 5ft 3in tall, weighs 11 stone (70.2kg) and wears a size 16

Now there is surely no way this can be healthy. 5ft 3 and 11 stone? I'm male, 6ft and weigh bang on 12 stone (with a high muscle percentage and relatively low fat percentage).

For a small woman to weigh 11 stone means something is badly wrong. I think the healthy weight for someone that size is around 9 stone.

It's clearly too high. Interesting article in the paper thsi week that we are actually eating less calories than 50 years ago, but don;t burn it off.

The Guardian article - http://www.theguardi...quins-diversity - says the following:

I would have thought less than 9 stone. Wife is 5ft 6 and 8 stone. Mind you, she is swimming in a Marks 10 these days.

I seriously reckon that there should be some sort of formal definition for women's clothes sizes. You know, like a metre is is a metre no matter where you are, England, France, USA, even Newham. Surely it is not difficult to say that size X has a waist of 24 inches, a buts of 36 inches, hips of 38 inches, the bustline is y inches above the waist and the hipline is z inches below the waistline. Simple?

I would have thought less than 9 stone. Wife is 5ft 6 and 8 stone. Mind you, she is swimming in a Marks 10 these days.

I seriously reckon that there should be some sort of formal definition for women's clothes sizes. You know, like a metre is is a metre no matter where you are, England, France, USA, even Newham. Surely it is not difficult to say that size X has a waist of 24 inches, a buts of 36 inches, hips of 38 inches, the bustline is y inches above the waist and the hipline is z inches below the waistline. Simple?

Ditto for men. My waist size varies by 4 inches depending on where I buy my trousers. Hell that's a simple enough measurment surely!

Depends rather on height.

Size 16 and 5'2" = obese

Size 16 and 5'11 = probably not obese

But really if you're 5'2 and in proportion you'd probably be a 6 and 5'8/9 probably a 10/12 tops.

Not surprising that a private sector company whose only interest is t/o, market share and profit wishes to sell as much stuff as it can to whoever hands over their cash.

If everyone was a size 22 they'd flog sh1t to them instead.

I'm a bit worried that I'll be damned if I didn't say I wouldn't in case people think I would. I'll just try and maintain a dignified silence and hope for the best.

Of course, I'll simultaneously think the worse of others if they didn't show their hand in the negative.

The mannequin is pretty hot but I wouldn't touch Swinson with yours.

Is that clear?

They're plaster casts of her aren't they?

She's going to be devastated when sales plummet. Probably thinks you should be proud of your body even if you are 'curvy'. No, it's all aspiration - start again.

article-2488259-1939DF1F00000578-23_634x421.jpg

I geddit now...size 16 means big tits!

Size 16 and 5'2" = obese

But really if you're 5'2 and in proportion you'd probably be a 6 and 5'8/9 probably a 10/12 tops.

Not surprising that a private sector company whose only interest is t/o, market share and profit wishes to sell as much stuff as it can to whoever hands over their cash.

pretty impressed with the knowledge of female sizes RK

And concentrate a bit more on the in-store café. And have impulse buy chocolates at the till.

01b8593970cf9cfcfe5a2c7d42af1f11.jpg?itok=aGx764LZ

If a game is to be played, it has to be fair. ;)

:D

Thta's not anatomically accurate, somebody that size would have their arms flush against their sides. They've just extended the shoulder beyond the side gut so the arms hang down freely. I wouldn't want to sit next to them on a plane.

Size 16 and 5'2" = obese

Got it one RK! How tall in the manequin? As Mr Morrissey said, some years ago "Some girls are bigger than others!"

The average is a size 14, whatever that is. So that's probably about 5'8. :o I would think that to be quite perfect!

I'd like to see what some if you blokes look like. Not athletes I'm betting!

:D

Thta's not anatomically accurate, somebody that size would have their arms flush against their sides. They've just extended the shoulder beyond the side gut so the arms hang down freely. I wouldn't want to sit next to them on a plane.

No, it is the sort of passenger that would monopolise the central arm rest for themselves, all you hope to top that is they don't also suffer from BO.

Can't quite work out what it is....a body building female, or a male with small wrists and man boobs. :blink:

Not if, like me, you're 5 feet tall. :(