House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Why You Should Roll Your Own (If You Smoke)

Interesting article, I'd heard that there was a lot of bad things put into cigarettes but I didn't know why. Basically the message is if you smoke then that's up to you but avoid pre-rolled cigarettes like the plague.

Cigarettes now must contain ethylene/vinyl acetate copolymer, which is literally carpet glue. It is known to cause tumors in mice, but inhalation of its smoke has never been tested on humans. The Material Safety Data Sheet for this substance notes that it produces toxic fumes when exposed to fire. The new "fire safe" cigarettes are made with 3 layers of paper, which requires triple the glue of past cigarettes. They contain what are referred to as "speed bumps" (made from carpet glue) all the way down the shaft. These are designed to reduce oxygen flow, so that the cigarette will quickly extinguish if nobody is inhaling it. This often puts the cigarette out too early, causing the smoker to re-ignite several times throughout a cigarette. It forces the smoker to inhale more deeply and more frequently than they otherwise would, whilst they smoke a considerably more toxic cigarette. We call this deadly by design.

Activists have been campaigning for decades to get tobacco companies to remove other substances that are toxic when smoked, such as citrates, phosphates and calcium carbonate; which are added to ensure that cigarettes do not self-extinguish. Instead of just removing these burn accelerators, tobacco companies instead added carpet glue.

Fire-safe cigarettes

Most people I know who have successfully given up smoking went from 'bought' cigs onto a phase of rolling their own. It's not as convenient, so you end up smoking less. I doubt the cig companies (or government) would ultimately want this.

In an ideal world, cigs and tobacco would be sold at the far end of a cancer ward so that you had to walk past constant reminders every time you purchased :)

What's dearer 60 years of pension or 3 years of dying of cancer?

Interesting article, I'd heard that there was a lot of bad things put into cigarettes but I didn't know why. Basically the message is if you smoke then that's up to you but avoid pre-rolled cigarettes like the plague.

I used to smoke, up until about 9 years ago.. a lot of that was on roll your own. Found that pre-rolled were really different, if I had a few instead of ryo I'd really feel it later, more of a 'clogged up' feeling.

I went to rollies when I smoked cos it was cheaper. Someone gave me a load of beedis and I smoked them until I ran out and then quit.

I almost got thrown out of pubs a few times cos they smell different to ciggies. I guess that's the tell how long ago it was.

When taking out an Annuity, inform them that you were a 40-a-day smoker up until 6 months ago..

I quit smoking cigarettes in 2005.

I smoke cigars now. :lol:

(Mate came back from Cuba with a load of Behike 54's and persuaded me to try one, Once you've smoked one of those you can't go back to any old rubbish. Even after not having smoked for 7 years at the time I still really enjoyed it)

It is known to cause tumors in mice

It's important to understand the context of this quote.

There are many strains of extremely tumour-prone mice. Some of them are so sensitive that you can increase their chances of developing a tumour just by injecting a bit of salty water into them.

It is debatable whether these mice are a good model for testing whether something will cause cancer in healthy non-inbred humans.

Also roll ups go out if you don't puff them anyway.

I thought tobacco companies put chemicals in cigarettes to keep them alight.

This is like using air-con to cool down a room where the heating is on :lol:

Or... What's dearer: 3 years of dying of lung cancer or 60 years of pension followed by a reasonable likelihood of three years dying of something else?

I gave up 6 months ago using e-cigs, they worked brilliantly for me.

Well worth a try if you're thinking of giving up, it's still an imperfect technology - just about every new design has some major and obvious flaw to it - but with a bit of perseverance and research its quite possible to get a very satisfying and tasty nicotine hit without any tar, ash, lingering smell and many fewer poisonous chemicals. Not enough research has been done to call it safe, but it must be safer and I definitely feel noticably better since switching.

Vaping has actually turned into a little hobby that I now much prefer to smoking. I won't go back - no way.

It's also much cheaper than smoking at the moment, once you've invested a bit to get started with some decent equipment the actual liquid doesn't cost that much. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before the tobacco companies and tax man realise how much revenue they stand to lose and clamp down on it though.

Well worth a try if you're thinking of giving up, it's still an imperfect technology - just about every new design has some major and obvious flaw to it - but with a bit of perseverance and research its quite possible to get a very satisfying and tasty nicotine hit without any tar, ash, lingering smell and many fewer poisonous chemicals. Not enough research has been done to call it safe, but it must be safer and I definitely feel noticably better since switching.

Vaping has actually turned into a little hobby that I now much prefer to smoking. I won't go back - no way.

It's also much cheaper than smoking at the moment, once you've invested a bit to get started with some decent equipment the actual liquid doesn't cost that much. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before the tobacco companies and tax man realise how much revenue they stand to lose and clamp down on it though.

Very interesting! One of my friends uses these, but still likes the occasional cigar! ;)

Sadly I believe you are correct on the revenue angle! :blink:

Yeah, 10 months for me. Better taste, throat hit, price etc etc.

Whenever I see people smoking I wonder how stupid they are not to be vaping.