House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sancho Panza

Big Changes In The Lettings Market In Leeds

http://www.propertytribes.com/student-housing-market-in-decline-t-8922.html

Go to the video in post 2 and the lettings agent states that in his opinion,please note this is a 2012 video.Apologies if posted before.

1) student numbers in Headingley were down 20% yoy.

2) University has built loads of student accomodation,en suite,£100 pw,great value,caused problems for student BTL.

3) a lot more professional types are doing househares rather than renting their own property due to the ongoing squeeze on disposable incomes(my words, not his)

Of course he then goes on to say that it's a great time to buy property as there's huge demand for 1 and 2 bed rental property.Unreal.

Some interesting comments further on.

'The same thing has been happening in Cardiff even though we have several universities located in the City. Over the last few years I see an ever increasing number of houses previously used as student accommodation left empty.

These are often the most neglected properties that once commanded very good monthly rents, but are now just left empty and require substantial investment to bring them to the standard required'

AdamB Offline Mute

Established Member

15-10-2013,08:23 PM

'Well I certainly found this year to be a tough one for student lets. The decrease in UK student numbers plus the double-whammy of our wonderful Govt. capping foreign student numbers did not help one bit. My house finally let the day before term started! Talking about leaving it until the last minute.Huh

There seemed to be a lot more 'solo' students this year that weren't in groups, and I had to do something I've not had to do for 10 years - get in a local LA. They had a couple of good ideas but couldn't get the job done trying to introduce people to the property that weren't appropriate but thankfully I got the job done myself. It just reminded me how much I dislike dealing with LA's - no feedback whatsoever from them...

Anyway, I think sensible pricing is the way forward with student letting. Not everyone wants to live in expensive halls-type housing and I think well kept comfortable larger student houses should be in favour for a good few years yet. Must admit though, I am looking into professional lets as well now after this years scare....'

Andrew Babbayan Offline Mute

16-10-2013,10:51 AM

'In Brighton, where we are operating in this and other markets, is still very bouyant (almost entirely due to an under supply of land and a reluctance for students to live outside town away from the nightlife), we are seeing rents increase in the centre. '

Edited by Sancho Panza

There must be thousands of empty bedrooms in family homes all around the country, £50 to £60 a week bed and breakfast inc bills/broadband....cut out the middle men and save pounds, easy to take up references.win.win. ;)

Or they could do what Swansea Uni is doing - and just target Chinese students?

I think this is happening UK wide. Ive noticed loads of Chinese students in Winchester in the last few years. So much that two Chinese supermarkets have popped up to accommodate them.

I always find them fascinating, as they are so quiet and you never see them mixing with others. Its as if nobody else exists :).

I think this is happening UK wide. Ive noticed loads of Chinese students in Winchester in the last few years. So much that two Chinese supermarkets have popped up to accommodate them.

I always find them fascinating, as they are so quiet and you never see them mixing with others. Its as if nobody else exists :).

The number of Chinese people in Swansea in the last year has increased dramatically. I cycled around the 5 miles of Swansea sea-front yesterday and suddenly realised that most of the people I had passed were Chinese.

It is not only Chinese - seems to be nationalities of all types. I have no idea how they all ended up in the UK let alone Swansea. But, student wise, it appears to be mostly Chinese.

I doubt many will go home which is why I am concerned about HPs going forward.

A friend of mine teaches mainly Chinese students. He tells me that when they first started coming to the uni he could barely get them to talk let alone do anything else. If he walked towards a door they would either open it for him or wait until he walked through first. They would turn up at 8AM for lessons. They were very subservient.

But he says that the transformation within 18 months has been amazing and that they have quickly adopted Western ways.

Loads of Chinese students here in Huddersfield too. The scale of the student housing building (Unite and others) is on a scale to behold. Currently three construction cranes up!

Amazing how there is a sudden will to build when there is foreign student cash to extract.

A friend of mine teaches mainly Chinese students. He tells me that when they first started coming to the uni he could barely get them to talk let alone do anything else. If he walked towards a door they would either open it for him or wait until he walked through first. They would turn up at 8AM for lessons. They were very subservient.

But he says that the transformation within 18 months has been amazing and that they have quickly adopted Western ways.

A nice Chinese visitor pointed at my poppy and asked politely what was it and why they see so many people wearing one? I think they are very open to learning the west must be a huge culture shock for them......but they still like the designer products, and still have the idea that how you dress, what you wear, live and drive explains who you are, how well you are doing, and where you sit in the pecking order.....they still have a lot to learn. ;)

A nice Chinese visitor pointed at my poppy and asked politely what was it and why they see so many people wearing one? I think they are very open to learning the west must be a huge culture shock for them......but they still like the designer products, and still have the idea that how you dress, what you wear, live and drive explains who you are, how well you are doing, and where you sit in the pecking order.....they still have a lot to learn. ;)

Sounds like Swansea people :rolleyes:

Can't wait to see Nev banging out Meester Blightside on the Call Centre.

2) University has built loads of student accomodation,en suite,£100 pw,great value

It's sad that we've reached the point where 16 hours' gross minimum wage to rent a small single bedroom with a toilet in a box in the corner of the room and a shared kitchen is considered "great value". That's around 40% of take-home pay for many full time workers.

It's sad that we've reached the point where 16 hours' gross minimum wage to rent a small single bedroom with a toilet in a box in the corner of the room and a shared kitchen is considered "great value". That's around 40% of take-home pay for many full time workers.

and only 'affordable' to students either because they are (1) rich or (2) borrowing it

Edited by aSecureTenant

Loads of Chinese students here in Huddersfield too. The scale of the student housing building (Unite and others) is on a scale to behold. Currently three construction cranes up!

Amazing how there is a sudden will to build when there is foreign student cash to extract.

Something which should have been done at the very start of university expansion - no additional accommodation, no additional students and fees. It could have actually helped fund the universities so they then did not have to rip them off for tuition fees - which has got to the point where many couses are no longer providing any sort of service to this country but educating foreign students instead. BTL in the student sctor has been a massive driver of the bubble, the same bubble that drove out jobs. You could argue the whole university expansion has had a net negative effect on the UK as a whole.

I was at Cardiff Crown yesterday and from observations there was a large Chinese student base there too.

I stress that it was his opinion not mine.

I've seen some rancid holes that were being let to students that were beyond minging,and yet the landlord had insisted on guarantees and deposits.

I think in the future,only exceptional/rich students will leave home to go to university.

For postgrad courses, that's precisely what they're doing. In the UoL school I used to work in, there were about 110-120 postgrads (both TPG and RPG) admitted each year, of which around 100-105 were from China or South Korea (mainly China). At undergrad level, however, Leeds can still recruit the 'non-penalty' students who get ABB or above (i.e. recruiting them does not count against quotas, the exceeding of which triggers financial penalties from HEFCE), and so they don't need to look abroad in this market quite as much.

I'm a little surprised that the lettings market in Leeds has been hit to the extent that it has, for the reason given above: Leeds can still recruit undergrads from relatively well-heeled families. Leeds Met can't (in significant numbers), though, and if my experience of working at Teesside in the early '00s is anything to go by, an increasing proportion of Leeds Met students will be live-at-home day commuters.