House Price Crash Forum
thecrashingisles

Ipsos-Mori Poll: 57% Say Rising House Prices Are A Bad Thing

http://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchpublications/researcharchive/3290/Public-House-price-rises-are-not-good-for-Britain.aspx

A new Ipsos MORI poll for Inside Housing has found nearly three times as many Britons disagree than agree that rising house prices are a good thing for the country.

Just under a quarter (23%) strongly disagree that “Rising house prices are a good thing for Britain” while a further third (34%) tend to disagree. A fifth (20%) either strongly agree or tend to agree that price rises are a good thing.

The poll shows the public more likely to think “Rising housing prices are a good thing for me personally” than think they would be good for Britain but, still, many more disagree than agree; by 41% to 29%. Again, just under a quarter (24%) strongly disagree.

Even among those who think rising house prices would be a good thing for them personally, more disagree than agree that rises would be good for Britain: 44% take this view, more than the 37% who think rises would be good.

Full data here - http://www.ipsos-mori.com/Assets/Docs/Polls/Ipsos-MORI-SRI-Inside-Housing-house-prices-tables.pdf

It will be interesting to see more of this kind of polling and it may shift the political balance.

A few years back a radio station had an online/text poll asking the simple question: Should the monarchy be abolished?

To my and the presenters amazement it came back as 51% in favour of abolishment.

Have not heard of one poll since. I fear the same for this kind of poll.

A few years back a radio station had an online/text poll asking the simple question: Should the monarchy be abolished?

To my and the presenters amazement it came back as 51% in favour of abolishment.

Have not heard of one poll since. I fear the same for this kind of poll.

Anything like that is called 'voodoo polling' because the results are absolutely meaningless.

Ipsos-MORI is a one of the most reputable polling companies and would only carry out this kind of research if someone who needs accurate data is paying for it. That's why as silver surfer says it's encouraging that the question is even being asked.

Anything like that is called 'voodoo polling' because the results are absolutely meaningless.

Ipsos-MORI is a one of the most reputable polling companies and would only carry out this kind of research if someone who needs accurate data is paying for it. That's why as silver surfer says it's encouraging that the question is even being asked.

Oh, I agree with you. It is encouraging and they are totally different, but that's not my point. Wait and see how many more there are once the results aren't 'as expected' by those in charge.

Not only is that an encouraging response, it's also encouraging that someone thought to ask the question in the first place!

Agreed, it's hugely heartening to see this. Osborne has made a huge error of judgement by assuming HPI=reelection, as unlike Brown's bubble a decade ago and more people have now had sufficient time to appreciate the crushing lifestyle devastation caused by servicing huge debts first hand. They want to trade up but are screwed by the extra borrowing required(even if they are not in -ve equity). They spend much of one income paying for childcare but are forced to persist as they need the extra few hundred net to put towards the mortgage.

Hopefully more will join the dots between HPI and the fraction of their life spent working for the benefit of their mortgage provider. For many they'll be learning the hard way.

So Conservative Mr D Willetts who wrote the book The Pinch: How the Baby Boomers Took Their Children's Future - And Why They Should Give it Back is a Minister in the Conservative part of government which is presiding over attempts to make a lot of the "boomers" (along with others) richer through another house price "boom".

At the same time 57% say they don't want rising house prices. In effect boomers in that 57% are saying they want to give some of it back. A lot would also be thinking that they were never asked to vote on the latest house price policy - the latest craziness.

So his new book must be in the offing - The Pinch 2: How the Baby Boomers Want to Give it Back But the Government Doesn't Want Them To.

http://

www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/10/osborne-reveals-true-aim-help-buy-inflate-house-prices

Osborne reveals the true aim of Help to Buy: to inflate house prices

"Hopefully we will get a little housing boom and everyone will be happy as property values go up," the Chancellor reportedly told the cabinet.

Not "everyone" - not by a long chalk.

Edited by billybong

Agreed, it's hugely heartening to see this. Osborne has made a huge error of judgement by assuming HPI=reelection, as unlike Brown's bubble a decade ago and more people have now had sufficient time to appreciate the crushing lifestyle devastation caused by servicing huge debts first hand. They want to trade up but are screwed by the extra borrowing required(even if they are not in -ve equity). They spend much of one income paying for childcare but are forced to persist as they need the extra few hundred net to put towards the mortgage.

Hopefully more will join the dots between HPI and the fraction of their life spent working for the benefit of their mortgage provider. For many they'll be learning the hard way.

Exactly, the education process is underway, and many are learning.

Sadly I think that most people just roll over and accept that housing is getting more and more expensive and are just pleased to be on the ladder. Even if you said we will have a law that halves house prices overnight then I believe 90% of 'home owners' would say NO NO NO, even thought I guess that 80% of people moving trade up and 20% trade down. They would worry about all the money (equity) they were losing rather than what they were gaining.

Thankfully though most people can`t participate in the Ponzi anymore because they are skint and a bad credit risk. What most people accept or think doesn`t matter any more, the Ponzi is broken and it will burn sheeple for breakfast like the Hindenburg on the way down to meet it`s fate.

Meet so many boomers now who have kids and FINALLY see house price rises as a negative thing.

Yes their house is worth more, but they have to mortgage it to the hilt to lend their kids enough each to put a deposit down on an overpriced shoebox.

Massive error of judgment made by Osborne IMHO.