House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crashmonitor

Jon Snow Refuses To Wear Poppy

As Bossy Babe noted he is going to buy one and wear it on Remembrance Sunday.

I was surprised to see people wearing them in October, I'll buy one this week and wear it for a few days but it's not a compulsory two week period.

I really don't get it. Wasn't it the versatile treaty that led to ww2, seems like its always these bloody politicians that are sending people to their deaths in wars that could be avoided. By wearing a poppy aren't you just supporting politician's right to send us to war.

I have in the past given my time freely in organising an area's poppy appeal and stood outside Sainsbury's in the cold and rain with a tin.

Everyone is free to do as they wish. Many people came up to me and dropped coins in the tip refusing to take a poppy, others a few Hindu and Muslim persons (I could tell from the way they were dressed) dropped £20 notes into the tin again deciding not to actually wear a poppy. Every person has the freedom to do as they wish which is a fundamental freedom that these people died for. I mention this simply to demonstrate the multi cultural crossover that the appeal generates.

Mr Snow is free to do as he wishes, it is about remembrance not the wearing of poppy bling, if he chooses only to wear one on Sunday who are we to interfere?

Far more worrying the blanket BBC policy which at this time of year which does not allow anyone anywhere near a camera unless they are wearing the emblem.

I wear my poppy as an act of remembrance.

I donate because I don't trust the government to take care of their own, as I believe they should.

The DM link is 3 years old btw....

I have in the past given my time freely in organising an area's poppy appeal and stood outside Sainsbury's in the cold and rain with a tin.

Everyone is free to do as they wish. Many people came up to me and dropped coins in the tip refusing to take a poppy, others a few Hindu and Muslim persons (I could tell from the way they were dressed) dropped £20 notes into the tin again deciding not to actually wear a poppy. Every person has the freedom to do as they wish which is a fundamental freedom that these people died for. I mention this simply to demonstrate the multi cultural crossover that the appeal generates.

Mr Snow is free to do as he wishes, it is about remembrance not the wearing of poppy bling, if he chooses only to wear one on Sunday who are we to interfere?

Far more worrying the blanket BBC policy which at this time of year which does not allow anyone anywhere near a camera unless they are wearing the emblem.

I wear my poppy as an act of remembrance.

I donate because I don't trust the government to take care of their own, as I believe they should.

The DM link is 3 years old btw....

Does the poppy remember the Manchester and Salford Yeomanry too

Granted that today the poppy appeal supports the victims of modern conflicts. But the wider remembrance day is now looking back primarily to world war 1 and 2. I don't think folk in 1883 were in remembrance of the liberation of Europe from Napolean 68 years earlier. Or indeed remembrance of the Crimea in the run up to world war 2.

I don't wear them, poppies just make me think of Willfred Owen's line: "The old Lie; Dulce et Decorum est Pro patria mori."

While people may say it's remembrance not glorification, I cannot help feeling it is laying a veneer of righteousness and nobility to some atrocious actions. The "noble sacrifice to preserve our freedom", was in fact for many being forcibly conscripted, sent across the channel and then ordered at gunpoint to charge machineguns for rather nebulous political reasons.

If it had more of a "never again" feel maybe it would be different, but they seem equally happy to cherish the memories of all the poor sods killed while imposing British policy around the world ever since.

Different times my friend, back then a lot of the landowners had their own little private armies.

Should we remember them? Probably but both sides of the conflict should be remembered as they both have a place in history.

The Country learnt from such episodes. The armed forces of this Country swear allegiance the the head of state who as we know wields no real power in the land.

As such no government of the day can use the army to keep itself in power unless in emergency circumstances such as the broad coalition government formed during WW2.

There are more recent examples

http://en.wikipedia..../Black_and_Tans

We Brits certainly did some questionable things down the years....

I really don't get it. Wasn't it the versatile treaty that led to ww2, seems like its always these bloody politicians that are sending people to their deaths in wars that could be avoided. By wearing a poppy aren't you just supporting politician's right to send us to war.

No, it was the treaty of Versailles. :)

I don't wear them, poppies just make me think of Willfred Owen's line: "The old Lie; Dulce et Decorum est Pro patria mori."

While people may say it's remembrance not glorification, I cannot help feeling it is laying a veneer of righteousness and nobility to some atrocious actions. The "noble sacrifice to preserve our freedom", was in fact for many being forcibly conscripted, sent across the channel and then ordered at gunpoint to charge machineguns for rather nebulous political reasons.

If it had more of a "never again" feel maybe it would be different, but they seem equally happy to cherish the memories of all the poor sods killed while imposing British policy around the world ever since.

I thought poppy day was an appeal for an armed forces charity...nothing to do with remembrance Sunday.

That's an interesting comment, and I must admit to feeling a little uncomfortable, if I wore one! :o

If it wasn't for Captain Birdseye and his potato waffles we'd be speaking German by now.

I thought poppy day was an appeal for an armed forces charity...nothing to do with remembrance Sunday.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poppy_Day

The red remembrance poppy has become a familiar emblem of Remembrance Day due to the poem "In Flanders Fields". These poppies bloomed across some of the worst battlefields of Flanders in World War I, their brilliant red colour an appropriate symbol for the blood spilled in the war.

http://en.wikipedia....Flanders_Fields

In Flanders Fields

In Flanders fields the poppies blow

Between the crosses, row on row,

That mark our place; and in the sky

The larks, still bravely singing, fly

Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago

We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,

Loved and were loved, and now we lie

In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:

To you from failing hands we throw

The torch; be yours to hold it high.

If ye break faith with us who die

We shall not sleep, though poppies grow

In Flanders fields.

Some will say that because we cannot remember this stuff and pay homage to all the lives that were lost we will keep on making the same mistakes..

This sort of stuff is to this day part of the National Curriculum not only to honour the War Dead but to teach the children about the horrors of war.

So have I.

Nowadays I'd regard it as a badge of shame. In the first place, there are no more survivors of the Great War to support since the death of Harry Patch. And more importantly, it has let itself be associated with today's warmongers, making it symbolically more akin to a swastika.

Lest we remember

11th November is “remembrance day”, when we commemorate the 1918 armistice with plastic poppies, symbolising the Flanders fields where so many young men fought and died in unspeakable conditions.

In the past I’ve not just worn a poppy, I’ve even helped sell them and raise money. In more recent years they’ve come into disrepute with the appropriation of remembrance by Blair’s warmongers, so I would feel unclean touching them or participating in the event.

This year, we should also have belatedly dropped the pretence of supporting the veterans of the Great War. Since the death of Harry Patch[1] in 2009, there are no such veterans to support. The Great War is now history, just as the Roman campaigns or the Napoleonic wars (to take just two examples) are. The plastic poppy should be relegated to the museum.

Lest we forget may be a fine sentiment. Until you give it a moment of thought, and look at the history of not forgetting. Blair’s Britain has glorified war to a level not seen since before 1914, and treats the memory of past wars – particularly 1939-45 – as an absolute excuse to behave like James Hogg’s Justified Sinner around the world. Much better we do forget.

[1] A man to be admired for his robust refusal to allow his status as the last survivor to have fought in the Great War be appropriated by today’s warmongers.

I stopped wearing poppies aged about 14 'cos the little plastic black bit in the middle had Haig's name on. I'd just done the the FWW in 3rd year history, and I thought then, and still think now, that I had a perfectly reasonable point. I think they've sorted that now but I still just drop my money in and walk away without affixing a poppy to my person.

I'm not ultimately a pacifist- but I don't want to stop what I'm doing at 11-11-11 to commemorate the stupidest war ever.

My paternal grandfather got his his leg blown off in the trenches having signed up as an underage soldier. More fool him as far as I'm concerned.

I used to get a white poppy but now I prefer to avoid the whole thing. We do however participate in Rememberance Sunday ceremonies (providing specific infrastructure completely unacknowledged)

I do think the whole red poppies thing is distasteful, it is a kind of militarisation of society.

poppy_box.jpg

I used to get a white poppy but now I prefer to avoid the whole thing. We do however participate in Rememberance Sunday ceremonies (providing specific infrastructure completely unacknowledged)

I do think the whole red poppies thing is distasteful, it is a kind of militarisation of society.

I'm guessing you are an Ex-Roman! ;)

So have I.

Nowadays I'd regard it as a badge of shame. In the first place, there are no more survivors of the Great War to support since the death of Harry Patch. And more importantly, it has let itself be associated with today's warmongers, making it symbolically more akin to a swastika.

I agree with the Great War sentiment, I was also going to stop after Harry Patch died. However with active wars going on and soldiers coming back with severe disabilities and being helped by the British Legion I am continuing for now as I see it as a worthwhile way to spend money. I still think the government should be paying for it but as they're not then I will.

Different times my friend, back then a lot of the landowners had their own little private armies.

Should we remember them? Probably but both sides of the conflict should be remembered as they both have a place in history.

The Country learnt from such episodes. The armed forces of this Country swear allegiance the the head of state who as we know wields no real power in the land.

As such no government of the day can use the army to keep itself in power unless in emergency circumstances such as the broad coalition government formed during WW2.

There are more recent examples

http://en.wikipedia..../Black_and_Tans

We Brits certainly did some questionable things down the years....

that is true.

the forces take the oath of allegiance to the queen,not "the crown"

same as uncle sam's troops have a duty to uphold the constitution(which is basically english common law anyway).

they have the right to refuse orders given from oligarchical politicians who are beholden to outside interests.........as the behaviour of said politicians is technically illegal.

I think we have quite a bit in common.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poppy_Day

http://en.wikipedia....Flanders_Fields

In Flanders Fields

Some will say that because we cannot remember this stuff and pay homage to all the lives that were lost we will keep on making the same mistakes..

This sort of stuff is to this day part of the National Curriculum not only to honour the War Dead but to teach the children about the horrors of war.

..yes,teach them about the horrors of war, but it must be understood that sometimes war is indeed necessary, if facing an opponent who is trying to destroy you, yours and your way of life..

war isn't something to be relished or sought, but we do have the absolute right to defend ourselves.(despite nulabour saying that nobody should be able to)...and the yanks have got this right...

...it's PERSONAL responsibility too, you can't rely on "the state", because the lawmakers have a tendency to power-grab.,they need to be treated like babies nappies(yes you know, frequently full of s*** and need changing regularly).

they need to be kept on a very tight leash