House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Living On £500 A Month (Excluding Rent)

I've always thought this was very feasible, as long as you can index this income. At £115 per week it's significantly above the barely-livable £70 per week JSA so gives you scope for saving for bigger purchases like washing machines, cars and holidays.

It's noted in this story as James Hewitt's army pension, as he's living with his mother this may be rent free so he will be on this figure.

I will look out for the next JH story to see if he is managing perfectly well by joining the make-do-and-mend brigade or has gone bust.

I have no interest in the Lady Di side so apologies in advance if this somehow starts a thread on that.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2486859/Dianas-ex-lover-James-Hewitt-seen-walking-mother-revealed-moved-her.html

Should be easily doable.

Assuming 2up/down.

50 quid bills (leccy/gas/council tax/water/internet)

10 transport.

25 food

30 other

I guess it then depends if you work or not. (Been discussed here to death I guess though).

Might be different down south!

Should be easily doable.

Assuming 2up/down.

50 quid bills (leccy/gas/council tax/water/internet)

10 transport.

25 food

30 other

I guess it then depends if you work or not. (Been discussed here to death I guess though).

Might be different down south!

Yes, you've missed out the champagne and beluga caviar ;)

£2,500 in bills per year sounds a bit steep if you're economising.

My old man is budgeting on 500 a month for the next 9 years till he can retire.

I hope the £500/month is index linked - otherwise it's quite likely to be the equivalent of £250/month by then.

For Hewitt, it's probably spending money mostly as I daresay his mum pays the bills and food.

£500 after tax is doable, though not exciting.

CT - £80

Water - £40

Phone - £15

Energy - £30

Food - £120

House insurance - £25

I'm always struck by the fact that council tax is now my biggest bill - and one which I can really do nothing to reduce. I once lived in a grotty 1BR flat in east London and that was band B. Presumably A was a illegal shed in someone's garden.

Guest eight

Is he a dustman?

After paying rent, I do it regularly.

.....can be done, for someone without a car, therefore no insurances are required.

£115 a week.

CT C Band £605 pa=£12 a week,

http://www.westminster.gov.uk/services/councilgovernmentanddemocracy/councils/counciltaxandfinance/bands/

Food/cleaning products =£50 a week.

Fuel heating and hot water duel fuel =£20 a week.

Phone/broadband/tv £20.

£13 for extras and savings.

Walking and cycling are free. ;)

Good luck with that...

I`ve just `retired` with 12 years to go before I can get the state pension. Have savings so will see how fast they go...

Yes, you've missed out the champagne and beluga caviar ;)

£2,500 in bills per year sounds a bit steep if you're economising.

Not really. I reckon my gas/electric is about £1000 a year, so is the Council Tax. Internet and phones is another £400. Water is £400. I could probably economise by getting a water meter. :huh:

.....can be done, for someone without a car, therefore no insurances are required.

£115 a week.

CT C Band £605 pa=£12 a week,

http://www.westminster.gov.uk/services/councilgovernmentanddemocracy/councils/counciltaxandfinance/bands/

Food/cleaning products =£50 a week.

Fuel heating and hot water duel fuel =£20 a week.

Phone/broadband/tv £20.

£13 for extras and savings.

Walking and cycling are free. ;)

£50 a week on food and 'cleaning products'? How much does a bottle of bleach and some fairy liquid cost round your way?

I hope the £500/month is index linked - otherwise it's quite likely to be the equivalent of £250/month by then.

For Hewitt, it's probably spending money mostly as I daresay his mum pays the bills and food.

£500 after tax is doable, though not exciting.

CT - £80

Water - £40

Phone - £15

Energy - £30

Food - £120

House insurance - £25

I'm always struck by the fact that council tax is now my biggest bill - and one which I can really do nothing to reduce. I once lived in a grotty 1BR flat in east London and that was band B. Presumably A was a illegal shed in someone's garden.

"Doable"? Piece of cake for a single bloke.

"Not exciting"? Only if he's so dull a bloke that his only interest in life has to be paid for.

Re tax: in this house our tax bill (income tax alone) is higher than all our other expenses combined. PAYE's a bitch.

In a Labour run borough it'd be more, I was paying over a grand a year CT on our pretty modest 3 bed terrace in Catford (the third bedroom was tiny, we used it as a study). Gas and leccy another grand- boiler quite old, and I daresay the loft wasn't insulated.

Still, I could live very easily on £500 a month- if I didn't have a car I'd probably have to start homebrewing rather than buying my booze in Calais, but needs must. In all honesty I could probably afford to run a car on 500 a month- buy an old diesel car with indirect injection for £500, tax is £225 p/a on old cars over 1.5l I think, insurance on my current car (which you'd hardly call a banger) is £167, MOT 50 quid, all doable. Run it on veg oil over the summer months etc., service it yourself, you're looking at a grand a year including purchase costs but excluding fuel.

In a Labour run borough it'd be more, I was paying over a grand a year CT on our pretty modest 3 bed terrace in Catford (the third bedroom was tiny, we used it as a study). Gas and leccy another grand- boiler quite old, and I daresay the loft wasn't insulated.

Still, I could live very easily on £500 a month- if I didn't have a car I'd probably have to start homebrewing rather than buying my booze in Calais, but needs must. In all honesty I could probably afford to run a car on 500 a month- buy an old diesel car with indirect injection for £500, tax is £225 p/a on old cars over 1.5l I think, insurance on my current car (which you'd hardly call a banger) is £167, MOT 50 quid, all doable. Run it on veg oil over the summer months etc., service it yourself, you're looking at a grand a year including purchase costs but excluding fuel.

If there were two of you £500 each, you could split the car costs, CT, heating, water, tv, broadband, land line....and be quids in.

Got 25kg of maris piper potatoes a large sack, good quality £6......a potato recipe book 50p charity shop. ;)

Got 25kg of maris piper potatoes a large sack, good quality £6......a potato recipe book 50p charity shop. ;)

Oooh where, do tell?! :) Paid 4.59 for 7.5kg in Lidl the other day, cheapest I could find by some margin. Spud prices round here just haven't dropped from last year even though assume the harvest was much better this year :( .

Oooh where, do tell?! :) Paid 4.59 for 7.5kg in Lidl the other day, cheapest I could find by some margin. Spud prices round here just haven't dropped from last year even though assume the harvest was much better this year :( .

I would but it would cost you more than that in petrol to collect them. ;)

If there were two of you £500 each, you could split the car costs, CT, heating, water, tv, broadband, land line....and be quids in.

Only ONE of me Winkie! As one of my lady friends said once, at least you are not twins! :blink: That was after I broke the toilet, and made the kitchen lights go out, after all the toilet water spilled through the ceiling! :o Strangely that is a true story! :huh:

I could do this easily.

I habe no car. One bed apartment in really well insulated building, I never have to use heating. Work is a 10 min walk from the flat so no commute costs.

I spend my excess money, of which there is alot, on eating out, guitars and travel.

Mate of mine lives on 400 a month when you ignore rent.

Being a single low maintenance bloke can be cheap.

Not really. I reckon my gas/electric is about £1000 a year, so is the Council Tax. Internet and phones is another £400. Water is £400. I could probably economise by getting a water meter. :huh:

You missed the words if you're economising in Frank's post.

"Doable"? Piece of cake for a single bloke.

"Not exciting"? Only if he's so dull a bloke that his only interest in life has to be paid for.

Re tax: in this house our tax bill (income tax alone) is higher than all our other expenses combined. PAYE's a bitch.

Sorry, I was forgetting the wife. This is for the two of us.

Having been in the situation I can tell you there is nothing more soul crushing than having to always undertake free ways to entertain yourself or count the pennies to buy a pint of beer or even milk. Even if you don't avail yourself of the paid option - the choice is nice to have,

Mind you the internet wasn't really around then. Nowadays, you can get all of the screen based entertainment you need for free.

Agree about PAYE. The pain is even worse if you are self employed as it's not deducted at source.