House Price Crash Forum
Sancho Panza

340 Mps Claim £200,000 On Expenses For Energy Bills

Telegraph 3/11/13

' Among them is Maria Miller, the Culture Secretary, who claimed £2,011 on electricity bills for her constituency home in Basingstoke.

Conservative MP Nadhim Zahawi, founder of market research firm YouGov, claimed the most with a bill totalling £5,822.27 to cover electricity and heating oil for his estate in Warwickshire.

The MPs' utility bills expenses are disclosed in documents submitted to the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority between April 2012 and March 2013. MPs are allowed to claim for gas, electricity and oil for their second homes.

But the disclosure comes at a time when many are struggling with the rising cost of energy and follows price rises by four of the big six energy firms.

Bills costing more than £1,000 were submitted by 41 MPs while 78 made claims for £500 in the 12 months up to March this year, analysis by the Sunday Mirror found.'

Whilst I realise the subject matter could be considered pedantic/irrelevant/missing the wider issues,clearly there are some parliamentarians that just don't get it.In a time of dsiposable incomes getting hammered,you'd have thought the party machines would be taking closer control over these issues.

Edited by Sancho Panza

It's beyond contempt. Watch what they do not what they say.

High energy prices, high house prices are a direct result of the policies these ******* enact, yet they continue to take the piss.

340 mps for this tiny little country, why does no one realise this is a flipping con.

340? Try 646, plus a greater number of ermin vermin, thousands of councillors plus a few other assorted hangers on(MSPs, MEPs, AMs, NI equivs). All open to lobbyists, corruption and impropriety. We are strangled by representation.

340? Try 646, plus a greater number of ermin vermin, thousands of councillors plus a few other assorted hangers on(MSPs, MEPs, AMs, NI equivs). All open to lobbyists, corruption and impropriety. We are strangled by representation.

Councillors get a fraction, a tiny fraction of what MPs get. Often they do a much better job.

I am NOT a councillor.

Councillors get a fraction, a tiny fraction of what MPs get. Often they do a much better job.

I am NOT a councillor.

I agree that councillors are very much the 'B' team as far as direct troughing goes, but their numbers, and relative obscurity allow opportunities for some pretty odious types to swim pretty freely in a way they could not in Westminster. Convicted slumlords, Nazis etc. You don't have to dig deep to find sociopaths.

Of course, they are not all like that.

The good old Maria Miller,,the woman who destroyed REMPLOY,,iv met a few MPs along the way but without doubt she was the one far far above her station.

Ruined a lot of disabled peoples lives,,the ones Cameron would call the strivers,,ones who went to work for NMW with disabilities most of us would struggle to get out of bed with.She smiled while she did it as well.Some/most of those workers are in desperate situations now,the ones with no support network and only ESA cant afford to turn the heating on.

Yet here Miller is after that claiming all that taxpayer money,.How anyone can ever vote for any of the three main parties is beyond me.Vile excuse for a woman.

Who cares anymore, seriously? You can either stress about it, and achieve ****** all, or not stress about it and achieve the same.

The good old Maria Miller,,the woman who destroyed REMPLOY,,iv met a few MPs along the way but without doubt she was the one far far above her station.

Ruined a lot of disabled peoples lives,,the ones Cameron would call the strivers,,ones who went to work for NMW with disabilities most of us would struggle to get out of bed with.She smiled while she did it as well.Some/most of those workers are in desperate situations now,the ones with no support network and only ESA cant afford to turn the heating on.

Yet here Miller is after that claiming all that taxpayer money,.How anyone can ever vote for any of the three main parties is beyond me.Vile excuse for a woman.

Quite, vile parasite. The whole Remploy business is a disgrace. Kicking away people's sticks; removing both hope and dignity.

Were MPs always this bad?

£65k in wages as a minimum and it still isn't enough.

House of Lords even bigger. Second only to China's NPC I think.

That would give the Tories 297, Labour their current 224 and the Liberal Democrats 178.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2269355/Lords-gets-50-new-peers-despite-pledge-cut-size-Cameron-course-create-Prime-Minister.html

Massively expanded by Cameron of course.

Edited by aSecureTenant

I agree that councillors are very much the 'B' team as far as direct troughing goes, but their numbers, and relative obscurity allow opportunities for some pretty odious types to swim pretty freely in a way they could not in Westminster. Convicted slumlords, Nazis etc. You don't have to dig deep to find sociopaths.

Of course, they are not all like that.

some of us are old enough to remember the days when councillors were "volunteers" and took no income whatsoever..........

thesedays it is a very well paid career :blink:

I would argue that there's nothing wrong with having thousands of representatives - localism and all that jazz. But in the current system, it's very unclear who does what - e.g. you elect a councillor, but his budget is set by central government. So electing him is not going to achieve much.

So either:

1. Get rid of most representatives, as their responsibilities overlap.

2. Make clear who does what, and give them the tools to carry out the job they were elected to do.

My preference is for option 2, but I'm open to discussion :)

http://

www.aboutpolitics.co.uk/tag/british-politcs/

As part of David Cameron’s plans to ‘clean up politics’ he promised a reduction in the number of MPs that sit in the House of Commons.

Even if at some point the reduction does go ahead apparently it's only going to be down to about 600 - better than nothing.

A reduction of say 300 to 400 would be worthwhile just to start with and 340 of them have become pretty obvious with their continued blatant greed on expenses.

Edited by billybong

Such a non story. Abuse of the system was one thing, but heating a flat you need for your job is quite another.

Heating your London crash pad is one thing, but why are they allowed to claim for the constituency home? 31 acres in Warwickshire is hardly a business expense for an MP.

some of us are old enough to remember the days when councillors were "volunteers" and took no income whatsoever..........

thesedays it is a very well paid career :blink:

Restricting the role of Cllr to those with the money that they can afford to do it for nothing would limit it to fairly demographically unrepresentative set. I also don't think £7k (North Somerset) or certainly £2,700 (West Somerset) for a basic allowance constitutes 'very well paid'...

I wish I could get the taxpayer to pick up my gas/elec bill.

I bet these feckers don't conserve energy either!

Jack Dromey and Harriet Harperson (under same roof) managed to burn through over £1500. Not checked what Cooper/Balls claimed.

Heating your London crash pad is one thing, but why are they allowed to claim for the constituency home? 31 acres in Warwickshire is hardly a business expense for an MP.

Ah - so they've done the old second home flipping again, so they can say their real house is the second one and get all the expenses for that, whilst paying themselves for the cheaper primary home (which is really the one needed for work)?! Unbelievable if true.

I wish I could get the taxpayer to pick up my gas/elec bill.

I bet these feckers don't conserve energy either!

There is an IR image of one of the MPs houses, glowing like a baboons 4r53.

Our Government forces change upon others, but refuses change itself.

If our hospitals were as backward as our Government, patients would be having limbs hacked off, without the aid of anesthetic, over sawdust covered floors.

I would move the bloody lot of them to a warehouse in the West Midlands, no expenses paid!

If we don't get it, they don't get it. Period.

But I fear they will not change until their heads are displayed on the end of a pikestaff.

Edited by Lord D'arcy Pew