House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bossybabe

Wtf Is 'pu Leather'?

Increasingly, leather look stuff (handbags and the like) are being described as PU Leather. I suppose the PU Stands for polyurethane. Surely this description is against the Trades Descriptions Act? It's either leather (as in second hand animal skin, or it's not. Help me stamp this calumny out, chaps. :)

nnnn

Increasingly, leather look stuff (handbags and the like) are being described as PU Leather. I suppose the PU Stands for polyurethane. Surely this description is against the Trades Descriptions Act? It's either leather (as in second hand animal skin, or it's not. Help me stamp this calumny out, chaps. :)

I'll bet you need only one handbag, Ms Bossy! II am willing to bet, is is full of spanners and will hurt! :huh:

Most of the TDA was repealed in 2008 ;)

Haven't seen that. I am always seeing 'faux' leather, though. Which being French is of course miles posher than ornery old fake leather.

Haven't seen that. I am always seeing 'faux' leather, though. Which being French is of course miles posher than ornery old fake leather.

Similar to faux wool coats instead of acrylic. :huh:

I see real leather belts and real leather shoes that are rubbish. There is a type of leather which is a bit like what real ham is to prepacked reconstituted ham ...its the offcuts of leather all crushed up and processed, then made into real leather whatevers....

Oh, Mr P, you know me too well! ;)

Never seen your face, but you make me laugh! :huh: This is the internet, where everything happens backwards!

:lol:

I'm sure it's good. Materials have so improved over the years. Poly-cotton shirts used to look and feel cheap with their only benefits being lower cost and easier ironing. They have now improved so much that I buy them from choice as they look better than cotton through the day.

Plastics are also hugely better, "plastic rubbish" was a common description of cheap stuff that would break when I were a lad but these days the quality is excellent, think mobile phones and car interiors.

......shoes always used to be make from leather....there are shoe shops about now that have never sold a leather shoe...same as there are a growing number of shops that rarely sell a 100% cotton item that has any weight to it......so 'pu' and 'faux' means selling something inferior as superior......believe that believe anything. ;)

Is it it perhaps leather that has been coated with alayer of polyurethane for a a patent finish?

I'm sure it's good. Materials have so improved over the years. Poly-cotton shirts used to look and feel cheap with their only benefits being lower cost and easier ironing. They have now improved so much that I buy them from choice as they look better than cotton through the day.

Plastics are also hugely better, "plastic rubbish" was a common description of cheap stuff that would break when I were a lad but these days the quality is excellent, think mobile phones and car interiors.

I have some real cotton shirts, with proper cufflink sleeves! They are for weddings and funerals, as they are too much **** to iron! :o

I see real leather belts and real leather shoes that are rubbish. There is a type of leather which is a bit like what real ham is to prepacked reconstituted ham ...its the offcuts of leather all crushed up and processed, then made into real leather whatevers....

This is usually called Bonded leather

Is it it perhaps leather that has been coated with alayer of polyurethane for a a patent finish?

PU is totally fake/leatherette

......shoes always used to be make from leather....there are shoe shops about now that have never sold a leather shoe...same as there are a growing number of shops that rarely sell a 100% cotton item that has any weight to it......so 'pu' and 'faux' means selling something inferior as superior......believe that believe anything. ;)

I find it especially annoying when manufacturers line the leather uppers of shoes with man-made materials - like most Clarks shoes today, which have taken a nose dive in quality. Defeats the whole purpose of a leather upper and turns the shoe into a sauna.

I find it especially annoying when manufacturers line the leather uppers of shoes with man-made materials - like most Clarks shoes today, which have taken a nose dive in quality. Defeats the whole purpose of a leather upper and turns the shoe into a sauna.

..or as I have seen more recently a thin leather lining and a plastic upper...what does this mean?

350x700px-LL-15b3f473_vera20pelle.jpeg

..or as I have seen more recently a thin leather lining and a plastic upper...what does this mean?

350x700px-LL-15b3f473_vera20pelle.jpeg

Maybe THIS

Means the lining is made of leather. If they're cheap shoes I'd suggest that the resort to a 'fancy' foreign language is in order to dress mutton as lamb.

It always makes me smile when I see a plywood cabinet marked 'real wood veneer'

It always makes me smile when I see a plywood cabinet marked 'real wood veneer'

That reminds me of the most brilliant pun from Kath and Kim when they're discussing which furniture to buy:

- I want monogamy!

- No-one wants monogamy these days Kim. You just want a veneer of monogamy.

You'd really laugh if you saw my face! :)

I have no sense of humour, and want to be run over by a Land Cruiser :blink:

That reminds me of the most brilliant pun from Kath and Kim when they're discussing which furniture to buy:

- I want monogamy!

- No-one wants monogamy these days Kim. You just want a veneer of monogamy.

:lol:

committed to memory

Agree, but it makes product selection difficult. Have a plastic decked mower - this particualr one being a an ex contract expensive jobbie, the deck is virtually indestructible and will outlast the motor easily - far superior to a pressed steel or aluminium - stronger, lighter and more surable with no paint finish to break/rot through.

However the fake leathers - some are little more than a fine plastic layer over a cloth material which can rub through very quickly, impossible to repair and refinish, you can do a remarkable amount of repai on leather - sand down, re-paint / finish to a like new finish as long as there is not too much damage, even a leather filler which acts just like plastic padding for car panels.