House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MrPin

Education

It looks like the Government are fiddling with Education again. It's fairly difficult for me to remember JMB, GCE, CSE, GCSE, and A+ grades. It happened when I was at school, and it is still happening now! Why will a 9 be the highest grade, and not a 1!

Is anybody else confused by this? :huh:

Why will a 9 be the highest grade, and not a 1!

Supports dumbing down, in a few years it will be grades 1 to 10 with 10, being the highest grade rather than grade 1*

I can hear the argument already, "we mark everything else out of 10, yet we mark exams out of 9, it's too confusing, so we are introducing a new grade 10 for the very best pupils."

It's like when the supermarkets re-arrange the aisles, it is not for your benefit. You are meant to be confused!

Welcome to the Senate, Centurion Forte! Watch out for knives! Senator! ;)

Supports dumbing down, in a few years it will be grades 1 to 10 with 10, being the highest grade rather than grade 1*

I can hear the argument already, "we mark everything else out of 10, yet we mark exams out of 9, it's too confusing, so we are introducing a new grade 10 for the very best pupils."

And just wait til someone decides they want to have an 11!

Welcome to the Senate, Centurion Forte! Watch out for knives! Senator! ;)

You see?

Anyway, bring back cold showers and whipping, that'll sort out the education system !

You see?

Anyway, bring back cold showers and whipping, that'll sort out the education system !

Ah Centurion Squeers, Mr Gove will do just that! He hasn't a clue! :lol::blink:

If labour do that, the Tories can bring back the 11+ which is what they wanted all along.

No! That was a crap certificate, because a lot of people don't show their full abilities until some years later! :blink:

If labour do that, the Tories can bring back the 11+ which is what they wanted all along.

Nothing wrong with grammar schools, it's the Tories that really oppose their re-introduction, after all what's the point in paying a fortune for your kids education if they then get pipped to that Oxbridge place by an oik from the lower middle classes who got to grammar school by merely being clever and motivated. Worse still we might end up with a pm from one of them (Harold Wilson was the first pm to have not had his education paid for by a wealthy parent)

Of course labour/lib would never bring them back - elitist innit.

No! That was a crap certificate, because a lot of people don't show their full abilities until some years later! :blink:

Which is why there's no point sending them to grammar school.

Maybe they need to spin it all.

Have practical tests to assess which kids could actually do manual jobs and send them to technical schools to do a more practical base. Send the not-so-practical ones to a more theory based education.

Nothing wrong with grammar schools, it's the Tories that really oppose their re-introduction, after all what's the point in paying a fortune in your kids education if they then get pipped to that Oxbridge place by an oik from the lower middle classes who got to grammar school by merely being clever and motivated. Worse still we might end up with a pm from one of them (Harold Wilson was the first pm to have not had his education paid for by a wealthy parent)

Of course labour/lib would never bring them back - elitist inn it.

I went to a Grammar School, Mr Manc. I never got as far as Oxbridge though, because I was too daft! :blink:

I went to a Grammar School, Mr Manc. I never got as far as Oxbridge though, because I was too daft! :blink:

I loved my grammar school.

There were no noisy disruptive kids there. Everyone wanted to learn.

I loved my grammar school.

There were no noisy disruptive kids there. Everyone wanted to learn.

[/quote

I am afraid I was both noisy and disruptive. And I have a very photographic recollection of the "headmaster's office", of which I saw too much! :blink: But you don't expect the Pin was a quiet donkey, willing to be "told" stuff, do you? :blink:

This is excellent every couple of years they can keep adding several on in random ways for decades before you get a mark out of 100.

If only there was some way to describe this as a percentage....

One of them most absurd aspects of modern governments is the eternal tinkering with education, the teacher I have spoken to have universally said that the worst aspect (amongst many bad ones) of modern teaching is the continual new assessments and changes to exam systems of successive governments.

the problem is that any downsides/unforeseen circumstances take longer than one parliamentary term to show up, in the mean time if Johnny gets a higher grade than that must be good mustn't it?

One of them most absurd aspects of modern governments is the eternal tinkering with education, the teacher I have spoken to have universally said that the worst aspect (amongst many bad ones) of modern teaching is the continual new assessments and changes to exam systems of successive governments.

the problem is that any downsides/unforeseen circumstances take longer than one parliamentary term to show up, in the mean time if Johnny gets a higher grade than that must be good mustn't it?

Totally agree Mr Manc! I am not in that business myself! :blink:

I am afraid I was both noisy and disruptive. And I have a very photographic recollection of the "headmaster's office", of which I saw too much! :blink: But you don't expect the Pin was a quiet donkey, willing to be "told" stuff, do you? :blink:

Do you think I was a shy retiring type?

:)

It looks like the Government are fiddling with Education again. It's fairly difficult for me to remember JMB, GCE, CSE, GCSE, and A+ grades. It happened when I was at school, and it is still happening now! Why will a 9 be the highest grade, and not a 1!

Is anybody else confused by this? :huh:

Bad news for all those who took GCE O levels which used to be graded 1-6 back in the early 1970s with 1 being the highest mark.

All those girly swots with Grade 1 passes wont look so clever now on their CVs.

Thankfully duffers like me with plenty of Grade 5 O levels will not be impacted as we will be as crushingly mediocre under the new system as the old one

As it happens, no. I don't think any of the women on here are as there is a clear majority of blokes and a small minority of misogynists so the shy retiring types don't hang about.

Anyway, reverting to the original story. Apart from the baffling "let's use numbers" thing it looks pretty good and is being introduced in a measured way; so it's not the usual tinkering.

Exams regulator Ofqual has confirmed the changes it is making to GCSEs, in what it calls the biggest shake-up of exams in England for a generation.

A new grading system will use numbers instead of letters, and coursework is being scrapped for most subjects.

Hooray! Coursework is mostly telling you how much parents help their kids with coursework. I have always ignored GCSE grades for that precise reason and just look at A level grades as a guide to intelligence.

Headteachers' representative, the Association of School and College Leaders (ASCL), gave what it said was a "cautious welcome" to the changes.

Deputy general secretary Malcolm Trobe said: "There is much to welcome in today's announcement, especially the measured approach Ofqual has taken to this significant task.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-24759476

No you sound nice. I'll bet you are quite tall! :huh:;)

As it happens, no. I don't think any of the women on here are as there is a clear majority of blokes and a small minority of misogynists so the shy retiring types don't hang about.

Anyway, reverting to the original story. Apart from the baffling "let's use numbers" thing it looks pretty good and is being introduced in a measured way; so it's not the usual tinkering.

Hooray! Coursework is mostly telling you how much parents help their kids with coursework. I have always ignored GCSE grades for that precise reason and just look at A level grades as a guide to intelligence.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-24759476

Damning words, I always felt, to find on one's School Report...