House Price Crash Forum

Hi guys,

I'm in the process of buying a leasehold flat.

The property is in really bad condition and requires quite a few things done.

According to the lease, the maintenance of the shared parts lies between ground floor tenant and upper floor tenant.

So far the things to be done are roof repair, repointing of the front wall due to the vegetation, and shared entrance door to the property.

The flat downstairs is being rented out and its owner is apparently registered in the same address.

My question is as the roof needs to be fixed asap due to penetration damp, if we are unable to contact the owner of the downstairs flat to arrange repairs asap, and carry out the repairs ourselves - do we stand a chance to recoup the money?

Also, it seems there is an issue with the boiler, our solicitor, *sigh*, had nothing better than to contact the seller without letting us know that the seller cannot provide the corgi certificate or gas safety certificate and obtained an indemnity policy on our behalf:)) When we found out we ask for the money off but due to buoyant London market, we received a no.

So, if when we get a service done on the boiler; if the boiler had been tampered with illegally - is there any chance we could sue the seller?

Thank you

So, if when we get a service done on the boiler; if the boiler had been tampered with illegally - is there any chance we could sue the seller?

Thank you

Can you prove if this has been done, and by whom, if you really feel this way best not to buy.

Can you prove if this has been done, and by whom, if you really feel this way best not to buy.

To be honest, the boiler isn't the biggest expense , but it does add to the list, I just feel we have been lied to and that's it.

Also, it seems there is an issue with the boiler, our solicitor, *sigh*, had nothing better than to contact the seller without letting us know that the seller cannot provide the corgi certificate or gas safety certificate and obtained an indemnity policy on our behalf:)) When we found out we ask for the money off but due to buoyant London market, we received a no.

There is no legal obligation to have a gas safety check carried out unless you are a landlord and the property is let. A private householder is not required to have a safety check carried out, even though it is sensible to have gas appliances serviced and checked regularly.

As you are purchasing the property and not becoming a tenant the seller is under no legal obligation to provide a gas safety certificate, although it Is apparently standard practice to ask for one. CORGI by the way are no longer responsible for maintaining the gas safe register. The organisation that is now responsible for gas safety is Gas Safe.

Edited by sleepwello'nights

There is no legal obligation to have a gas safety check carried out unless you are a landlord and the property is let. A private householder is not required to have a safety check carried out, even though it is sensible to have gas appliances serviced and checked regularly.

As you are purchasing the property and not becoming a tenant the seller is under no legal obligation to provide a gas safety certificate, although it Is apparently standard practice to ask for one. CORGI by the way are no longer responsible for maintaining the gas safe register. The organisation that is now responsible for gas safety is Gas Safe.

The property was let, and somehow I was under the impression that it is illegal to temper with the boiler. I was mistaken:)

Can you advise on the point of the maintenance if at all please?

The property was let, and somehow I was under the impression that it is illegal to temper with the boiler. I was mistaken:)

Can you advise on the point of the maintenance if at all please?

If the property was let then the landlord is under a legal obligation to have a safety check carried out every year and to have a certificate from the engineer who carried out the check. It is only a legal obligation for a landlord, a private householder is under no legal obligation to have gas appliances serviced or a safety check carried out. Having said that is obviously sensible to ensure that any gas appliances in your home are maintained in good condition.

It is illegal for anyone other than a gas safe registered engineer to work on gas appliances.

The organisation responsible for gas safety is Gas Safe. Have a look at their web site using the link I inserted.

Have you already bought? Sounds like a nightmare property already. If you have bought, maybe a quick flip to get rid?

To be honest, the boiler isn't the biggest expense , but it does add to the list, I just feel we have been lied to and that's it.

Dont buy, if your got feeling is negative then just go with it, i am sure you will find something else to buy.

Hi guys,

I'm in the process of buying a leasehold flat.

The property is in really bad condition and requires quite a few things done.

According to the lease, the maintenance of the shared parts lies between ground floor tenant and upper floor tenant.

So far the things to be done are roof repair, repointing of the front wall due to the vegetation, and shared entrance door to the property.

If it is leasehold there will be a managing company that holds the freehold. They can do any works to the structure of the building that are necessary for the integrity of the building and recover the money from the residents.

Service costs only go one way with managing companies , and if there are a few BTL's in the mix forget about getting a consensus in residents meetings as they don't then turn up.

Service costs only go one way with managing companies , and if there are a few BTL's in the mix forget about getting a consensus in residents meetings as they don't then turn up.

it's a conversion and the maintenance costs are to be shared between lower and upper floor maisonettes. There are no service charges,

I'd love not to but the prices going mental and i'm just tired of going to any more viewings rent or buy.

And the place is convenient for the commute and will be ok for 7-10 years even if we have another baby on the way...

it's a conversion and the maintenance costs are to be shared between lower and upper floor maisonettes. There are no service charges,

I'd love not to but the prices going mental and i'm just tired of going to any more viewings rent or buy.

And the place is convenient for the commute and will be ok for 7-10 years even if we have another baby on the way...

Those are not good enough reasons to buy THIS particular flat. You'll regret it. Pull out.

Yes, it maybe not the right enough reasons, but things do look slightly different when you look at renting and the place you need will be half more if not more than the mortgage...