House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

juvenal

Commercial Fungi Snatching Mushrooms...

The 'community' I hail from (ex-patriot Italians) has been picking mushrooms in places like the New Forest and around Aldershot for decades. And the little darlings, conditions permitting, still keep popping-up year in year out.

It's worth remembering that mushrooms are the fruiting body, not the organism itself, and rot or get eaten by bugs after a few days anyway. Most of the edible types grow in flushes. I believe that there have only been a couple of flushes this year in the South East. So not finding edible shrooms in a particular wood isn't proof of any kind of collapse in stocks.

The situation wrt to the numbers of pickers has started to get silly in the last few years. Buses of, ahem, recent arrivals to this country have been turning up and trashing sites. Hoovering up everything, trashing the ground, chucking litter everywhere. Locals are getting ticked off, 'rangers' are cropping up everywhere.

Family members of mine have been pulled up for picking 'commercial' quantities wtf they're supposed to be. Mushrooms only grow for a few weeks a year, are an essential ingredient for Italian cooking and mostly get dried for later use. A couple of family members have taken to going shrooming at night with torches.

I'm reluctantly chalking this up as being another innocuous little freedom that's heading for the dustbin of history.

Guest eight

The 'community' I hail from (ex-patriot Italians) has been picking mushrooms in places like the New Forest and around Aldershot for decades. And the little darlings, conditions permitting, still keep popping-up year in year out.

It's worth remembering that mushrooms are the fruiting body, not the organism itself, and rot or get eaten by bugs after a few days anyway. Most of the edible types grow in flushes. I believe that there have only been a couple of flushes this year in the South East. So not finding edible shrooms in a particular wood isn't proof of any kind of collapse in stocks.

The situation wrt to the numbers of pickers has started to get silly in the last few years. Buses of, ahem, recent arrivals to this country have been turning up and trashing sites. Hoovering up everything, trashing the ground, chucking litter everywhere. Locals are getting ticked off, 'rangers' are cropping up everywhere.

Family members of mine have been pulled up for picking 'commercial' quantities wtf they're supposed to be. Mushrooms only grow for a few weeks a year, are an essential ingredient for Italian cooking and mostly get dried for later use. A couple of family members have taken to going shrooming at night with torches.

I'm reluctantly chalking this up as being another innocuous little freedom that's heading for the dustbin of history.

Disconcertingly, just occasionally when you buy the big tubs of dried wild mushrooms they can be full of small flies. Taking the lid off is reminiscent of that bit in The Green Mile where he coughs up the evil, or whatever it's supposed to be.

Disconcertingly, just occasionally when you buy the big tubs of dried wild mushrooms they can be full of small flies. Taking the lid off is reminiscent of that bit in The Green Mile where he coughs up the evil, or whatever it's supposed to be.

That's a good film! Sadly the big bloke died this year, aged 54!

I didn't know Mr Mahoney was Italian. I thought he was a Cockney Geordie like me!

Actually all funghi are edible, but the consequences are not the same! ;)

Boletes in particular are a magnet for little grubs which bore their way through the flesh. They're not, to my knowledge, significantly poisonous in any way. For obvious reasons, really noticeable cases don't get served up fresh and get put into one of the 'To be dried' piles. Pile #1 being 'Friends and family', Pile #2 being 'Friends and family you don't like very much'.

Boletes in particular are a magnet for little grubs which bore their way through the flesh. They're not, to my knowledge, significantly poisonous in any way. For obvious reasons, really noticeable cases don't get served up fresh and get put into one of the 'To be dried' piles. Pile #1 being 'Friends and family', Pile #2 being 'Friends and family you don't like very much'.

I want pie Number one! :lol:

Oh c'mon, this utter ******** and the sheeple just eat it. Next minute the air we breathe will be regulated.

You will need some time to get "off topic" None of us are "sheeple!"!

We are thinkers here! This is the best "off topic" I have ever seen! :)

Oh c'mon, this utter ******** and the sheeple just eat it. Next minute the air we breathe will be regulated.

A cousin was telling me a couple of weeks ago that a couple of 'rangers' were sitting in a parked car with binoculars watching him as he walked through some local woods and what he was putting into his car from out of his basket.

That's two people, in a vehicle, being paid to sit on their @rses all day to regulate collection of a seasonal fruit that would spoil naturally after a few days anyway.

The act of picking mature shrooms and walking off with them would actually help disseminate their spores.

It's only a little thing, of interest to a small number of people but, as you say, it's a small sign of the direction in which we're headed.