House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SEW247

Encryption For Usb Stick

I know there's some good IT people on here so always a good place to start ;)

Basically I am leaving my company and have acquired rather a lot of data over the years which I am going to keep. I now have it on a portable hard drive and will be putting in on a 256GB memory stick which I intend on carrying around with me in case I need to access it in my new role.

Can anyone recommend the best way to encrypt this so that if it was lost it would be pretty hard to get into (for average man on the street) or a way that it could be wiped if someone were to enter incorrect password etc. Obviously a free system is preference but I might be willing to pay for the right sort of system.

I have been using Truecrypt for quite a while and I like the way the first thing it asks you is "do you want to format this disk" when you plug it in, but I'm wondering if there is a better option.

Thanks

I know there's some good IT people on here so always a good place to start ;)

Basically I am leaving my company and have acquired rather a lot of data over the years which I am going to keep. I now have it on a portable hard drive and will be putting in on a 256GB memory stick which I intend on carrying around with me in case I need to access it in my new role.

Can anyone recommend the best way to encrypt this so that if it was lost it would be pretty hard to get into (for average man on the street) or a way that it could be wiped if someone were to enter incorrect password etc. Obviously a free system is preference but I might be willing to pay for the right sort of system.

I have been using Truecrypt for quite a while and I like the way the first thing it asks you is "do you want to format this disk" when you plug it in, but I'm wondering if there is a better option.

Thanks

Your company or someone else's company

Your data or their data :)

For what it's worth, I would have suggested truecrypt

Your data or their data :)

Lets not get into that ;)

Okay, I may go with Truecryot unless someone suggests something else

You can get encrypted USB sticks! I am obliged to use them for work! Some are better than others! Are you taking commercially sensitive data to China, or just wanting a record of how you solved something once? :ph34r:

Have you ever read a post on this entire forum? :)

I skim read it. And didn't finish reading it......

Can I offer rather than encrypting the entire drive use truecrypt to create a volume..

Christ it's like a fecking exam on here, read it all!!! :lol::lol:

Have you ever read a post on this entire forum? :)

The DM is the fount of Wisdom for all of us! :blink:

ROT13 would probably defeat most people, it certainly stumped Plod when a mate of mine got his computer seized.

Wasn't he asked for the password? Of course, he wouldn't be allowed to tell you if he had been.....

ROT13 would probably defeat most people, it certainly stumped Plod when a mate of mine got his computer seized.

Wouldn't defeat me! But I'm not "plod"! PGP with no access to the private key might defeat me! :blink:

Wasn't he asked for the password? Of course, he wouldn't be allowed to tell you if he had been.....

he was, his computer was away for months for analysis, there was absolutely nothing on it of any interest.

Long time since I have moved in these circles but wasn't ROT13 as simple as they come?

Displaced each letter to 7 on in the alphabet so pretty easy to reverse engineer.

Maybe keep it simple stupid even defeated plod?

Long time since I have moved in these circles but wasn't ROT13 as simple as they come?

Displaced each letter to 7 on in the alphabet so pretty easy to reverse engineer.

Maybe keep it simple stupid even defeated plod?

Er...

Er...

:blink:

I can see somebody is awake at the back! ;) See me after assembly!

You should either relinquish the data to your employer or destroy the data. It looks like you are committing intellectual property theft. You should not ask for help on this forum and I am disappointed this thread hasn't been locked.

It also looks like you have no IT skills. Leave this job to the professionals.

You should either relinquish the data to your employer or destroy the data. It looks like you are committing intellectual property theft. You should not ask for help on this forum and I am disappointed this thread hasn't been locked.

It also looks like you have no IT skills. Leave this job to the professionals.

See my previous comment! I've kept some stuff, to remind me how II did it!! Small companies are not going to sweat about it, but the big ones will unleash "lawyers"! So be careful what you keep! :blink: