House Price Crash Forum
crashmonitor

The Bar Reverting To Oxbridge Club

Listened to a radio 4 documentary recently presented by Joshua Rozenberg who highlighted the problem that at a time when there are no new jobs (because of cut backs to legal aid) more and more law graduates are ending up on the scrap heap (well just about all of them actually).

Lady Hale (link below) issued a rebuke to the government for cuts to legal aid which turns away ''diverse and socially moble young professionals''.

Taking that at face value then public money and law degrees are all about providing jobs for deserving young upwardly mobile professionals and not really about what they do for Society. A bit like a graduate getting a job teaching graduates I suppose. A system of reward for qualifications without actually producing anything of benefit to Society.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/10418973/Senior-judge-warns-of-leap-in-Oxbridge-lawyers.html

Edited by crashmonitor

“The authors warn that young lawyers from less socially advantaged backgrounds may soon not be able to go into the very areas of practice that probably drew them towards the law in the first place,” Lady Hale said. “We have to be distressed by its message.”

They should have gone into banking.

At least she got the word "diverse" in a few times.

That's got to count for something.

There are certain jobs it appears we must have like Equal Opportunities Officers and Legal Aid Lawyers otherwise where are the jobs for the deserving working class who are first generation University entrants.

So a lawyer wants more free money from the government to go to law, just as an academic wants more money for education and a farmer wants more money for farming. The journalists never seem to point out the vested interest.

If they'd been unemployed on the technical side then there would have been suggestions that they should of course consider jobs in other sectors or overseas but for lawyers a Lady within the legal profession speaks up for job creation for lawyers.

Edited by billybong

Legal aid is a terrible thing for the poor. They take the money off the sheeple and give it to the middle class lawyers and judges under the pretence of "helping those who are unable to afford the legal system." ( the poor )...when in fact they are just helping themselves to tax payers money. They are worse than the banks.

http://www.barcouncil.org.uk/becoming-a-barrister/guidance-for-applications/frequently-asked-questions/

There are around 15,500 barristers practising in England and Wales

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2011/apr/04/solicitors-number-england-wales-ethnicity

The number of solicitors qualified to work in England and Wales has rocketed over the past 30 years, according to new figures from the Law Society. The number holding certificates - which excludes retired lawyers and those no longer following a legal career - are at nearly 118,000, up 36% on ten years ago.

Maybe there are no new jobs because there are too many already.

Like that episode of the simpsons where lionel hutz proclaims 'theres 3 lawyers for every american' or similar :lol:

It is my understanding that there is a related oversupply of chartered accounts these days and they are not earning a fraction of what they used to, can anyone confirm that? I guess you also have those computers to help out too, so lower demand for book keeping.

I predicted this a long time ago. As anyone and everyone was going to University and only a tiny few graduates were able to land milk round jobs, students would pile in to Law, medicine and so on leading to a glut.

I caught some of the Radio 4 programme - seemed there was an idea that being fleeced for £40k by a law school would land you a trainee position in the profession. It's just another money making scam targeted at young people desperate for a real career in a low-skill, low-wage economy.

Edited by CrashedOutAndBurned

I predicted this a long time ago. As anyone and everyone was going to University and only a tiny few graduates were able to land milk round jobs, students would pile in to Law, medicine and so on leading to a glut.

I caught some of the Radio 4 programme - seemed there was an idea that being fleeced for £40k by a law school would land you a trainee position in the profession. It's just another money making scam targeted at young people desperate for a real career in a low-skill, low-wage economy.

I think they also said their online courses are the same price - "same amount of tuition and study". LOL!

Couldn't they sue....somebody?

I did read of a case a while ago of law students suing their University on the grounds that it had mislead them as to the job opportunities available to law graduates.

A bit of a no win situation for the University I thought- if they win the case their reputation as a first class law school suffers! :lol:

I do wonder what happens to the legal profession when the technology finally catches up with them- big data AI is going to be all over the law soon- after all what is case law if not a clunky manual form of big data in itself?

It is my understanding that there is a related oversupply of chartered accounts these days and they are not earning a fraction of what they used to, can anyone confirm that? I guess you also have those computers to help out too, so lower demand for book keeping.

Anecdotally, that's been the experience of some people I know who are charted accountants. Too qualified for entry jobs, not experienced enough to get jobs that need the qualifications. It's like there's been a factory pumping them out or something. The really awful thing is that all of the professional mags act like salaries are fantastic and there's tons of opportunities. And, of course, the money keeps flowing because of CPD.

I can't believe anyone wants more lawyers in the world though. It's like saying there aren't enough mosquitos or estate agents.

Edited by StainlessSteelCat

Maybe there are no new jobs because there are too many already.

If you think we've got too many - that equates to about 0.2% of the UK population. The really saturated market is the US - 0.4% of the population are lawyers. Every single year, law schools there churn out another 45,000 grads, best estimates are the market can't absorb more than 30,000 of them (and those are paid rather less than they were five years ago). The stories of students who've taken on hundreds of thousands of dollars of non-dischargeable debt, with no prospects at the end is horrifying.

Why should Law graduates be more entitled to a job than English, History or Philosophy students let alone Science and Engineering grads? Does not anyone study law because they have a genuine academic interest in it.

Edited by stormymonday_2011

Last I heard there were 15000 barristers in England/Wales - expected to reduce to 7500. And that's after 20 years of neo-lib destruction of the administration of justice.

I for one welcome our new privy-council regulated Daily Mail/Mirror overlords.

Why should Law graduates be more entitled to a job than English, History or Philosophy students let alone Science and Engineering grads? Does not anyone study law because they have a genuine academic interest in it.

No! but if you ever find a good one, they are good arguers!! I had a very good one for a "sacking" once, and he was worth his weight, and got me a good "bung" to shut up! :blink:

BBC reporting that changes to legal aid means that barristers are not well paid. Apparently they are stressed and can't afford to buy houses.

They should have become firemen.

Stop and think for a minute or two today about a barrister. There might be one standing next to you.