House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Big Orange

Doctor Who 50Th Anniversary Trailer

All well and good, but you cant make an appointment to see him...not on the day that is.

There has been the odd lemon in the last few years but the general standard has been excellent.

The "Day of the Moon" two parter with The Silence is what the X-Files was going for but never quite attained, it was that good IMO. Great writing to back up the effects.

I'm sure this special will be superb.

I'll probably make some effort to watch some television, then! Remind me near the day. I could forget! :blink:

I'll probably make some effort to watch some television, then! Remind me near the day. I could forget! :blink:

is it on in cinemas or on TV? I am confused!

And now I've booked a ticket for the cinema showing of this special episode.

:)

I really liked the "The Night of the Doctor" mini-episode and this trailer:

Looks really impressive. There's a short clip on Freeview 301 (? BBC Red button channel I think) which shows how Paul McGann's doctor met his end as a bit of an infill and then this comes on.

I wonder if the show is only going to be 50 minutes or so as it would be lovely if it's a couple of hours and done well.

"You've redecorated! Hmmm. I don't like it."

Lovely back-reference there (Troughton's doctor in The Five Doctors, if memory serves)

Is he a paedo with River Song in this episode? That must have been one wedding reception speech - "I remember when River and I first met.... I was 900 years old and she had just been born"...

Yeah, right....

Every time I see Matt Smith as the Doctor I am reminded what a fine actor David Tennant is. Not that Matt Smith is a bad actor - not at all - but just that Tennant is a very good one IMPO.

Every time I see Matt Smith as the Doctor I am reminded what a fine actor David Tennant is. Not that Matt Smith is a bad actor - not at all - but just that Tennant is a very good one IMPO.

Tennant is kind of jack of all trades Doctor, a bit Pierce Brosnan-ish. It's genuinely saddening that Christopher Eccleston seemed to have burned his bridges, even though it's been many years now.

I have this nagging feeling that this special will be just as good as the Crimbo specials - i.e., rubbish.

Hopefully, this prediction will be as accurate as my house price predictions have been over the last decade - i.e., rubbish.

Tennant is kind of jack of all trades Doctor, a bit Pierce Brosnan-ish. It's genuinely saddening that Christopher Eccleston seemed to have burned his bridges, even though it's been many years now.

I think if Matt Smith had followed Eccleston that Dr. Who would be finished by now. Sorry, I know that sounds harsh.

The BBC have been showing back to back episodes all last week and the Tennant ones just stood hands and shoulders above the rest IMPO.

I have this nagging feeling that this special will be just as good as the Crimbo specials - i.e., rubbish.

That's my feeling too. Didn't watch the second half of the last series as it was just getting dull. Even though I much prefer having Moffat in charge than Russell (gay agenda) Davies I think the show is beginning to run out of steam.

I did like Night of the Doctor though. But that probably because I'm one of those who thought they should of brought McGann back for series 1 instead of miscasting Chris Eccleston.

I found the last Christmas Special with the man eating snowmen more entertaining and better made than the previous one with the walking trees in the snow. Eccleston was an odd choice ("Every planet has a North!"), but he must've done something right if NuWho wasn't laughed out of town right away in its first make or break series, and I miss his inclusion in the Special greatly.

That's my feeling too. Didn't watch the second half of the last series as it was just getting dull. Even though I much prefer having Moffat in charge than Russell (gay agenda) Davies I think the show is beginning to run out of steam.

I did like Night of the Doctor though. But that probably because I'm one of those who thought they should of brought McGann back for series 1 instead of miscasting Chris Eccleston.

Oddly enough I personally think that the show has had far more homosexual overtones since Moffat took over. I find Matt Smith's portrayal of the Doctor somewhere between asexual and homosexual. No problems with that but just how I feel about it.

Oddly enough I personally think that the show has had far more homosexual overtones since Moffat took over. I find Matt Smith's portrayal of the Doctor somewhere between asexual and homosexual. No problems with that but just how I feel about it.

Really? Matt's Doctor just seems totally asexual to me. And that can't of been easy to portray having Karen Gillian, Alex Kingston and Jenna Coleman as companions. Now that is a human sandwich I'd like to be the filling in.

In terms of acting ability, I'd place Ecclestone and Tennant about the same. Both great. Smith is very good too, none of them were/are lacking in that area.

I would rank Ecclestone as the best of the three by a long way and one of the very best Doctors ever.

The problem with doing this is that your perception of the actor is partly your perception of the character in terms of how he carries the script, and the reverse of that is how the script was written for him.

Ecclestone played a much darker Doctor, the last survivor of his race, and in the comeback season managed to carry this superbly not least in "Dalek" (the one with the surviving Dalek trapped underground).

The morals were explored but not shoved in your face. The Dalek ended up coming away as the more moral one and you felt sorry for it. This was superb writing. And this would not have been so impactful with the more juvenile Doctors that followed.

The comeback season captured everyone's imagination, adults and children alike. Since then, I think a certain amount of complacency and the need to get scripts put together more quickly perhaps has led to the ridiculous, lacking credibility (scripts and plots) and both Tennant and Smith can "ham it up" but I find this patronising.

If it had been the other way around and Ecclestone was current and had come third, although it would have worked in nicely with the Time War and where it's going, I'll bet the BBC would have been bombarded with complaints because the "nice" Doctors had been replaced by the "nasty" one.

Ecclestone's Doctor also had one of the best companions ever - Rose Tyler - pretty, gutsy and clever all in one and rarely for the series, upstaged the Doctor at times. Truly marvellous acting all round and the interplay between them was magical. That has not been replicated since although Catherine Tate was superb alongside Tennant most especially in the Planet of the Ood episode (the scene with the "Song of the Ood" - she really could carry the serious parts, too).

The selection of the actor for the new Doctor does hint that maybe a darker character is to come. My hope is that in this, the gurning and slapstick will fall away somewhat and the show can again appeal to adults as it has done when it has been at its best.

I would rank Ecclestone as the best of the three by a long way and one of the very best Doctors ever.

Agreed! "Every planet has a North"! ;)

In terms of acting ability, I'd place Ecclestone and Tennant about the same. Both great. Smith is very good too, none of them were/are lacking in that area.

The problem with doing this is that your perception of the actor is partly your perception of the character in terms of how he carries the script, and the reverse of that is how the script was written for him.

Ecclestone played a much darker Doctor, the last survivor of his race, and in the comeback season managed to carry this superbly not least in "Dalek" (the one with the surviving Dalek trapped underground).

The morals were explored but not shoved in your face. The Dalek ended up coming away as the more moral one and you felt sorry for it. This was superb writing. And this would not have been so impactful with the more juvenile Doctors that followed.

The comeback season captured everyone's imagination, adults and children alike. Since then, I think a certain amount of complacency and the need to get scripts put together more quickly perhaps has led to the ridiculous, lacking credibility (scripts and plots) and both Tennant and Smith can "ham it up" but I find this patronising.

If it had been the other way around and Ecclestone was current and had come third, although it would have worked in nicely with the Time War and where it's going, I'll bet the BBC would have been bombarded with complaints because the "nice" Doctors had been replaced by the "nasty" one.

Ecclestone's Doctor also had one of the best companions ever - Rose Tyler - pretty, gutsy and clever all in one and rarely for the series, upstaged the Doctor at times. Truly marvellous acting all round and the interplay between them was magical. That has not been replicated since although Catherine Tate was superb alongside Tennant most especially in the Planet of the Ood episode (the scene with the "Song of the Ood" - she really could carry the serious parts, too).

The selection of the actor for the new Doctor does hint that maybe a darker character is to come. My hope is that in this, the gurning and slapstick will fall away somewhat and the show can again appeal to adults as it has done when it has been at its best.

I agree that Ecclestone performance was excellent - but then he is an excellent actor overall. I really liked the episode 'Dalek' as he really showed the emotional turmoil the character was going through. That said, I still think CE was wrong for the role because of two reasons:

1. The bin man outfit.

2. His lack of interest in the show after he's left. The Doctor isn't one of those part an actor can do and then just forget about. It's a special role that stays with you and comes with a lot of bagage you need to accept - hardcore fans, conventions, reappearances, other formats - you can't just turn your back on it as he has. On the other hand DT has completely embraced it and continues to be active in the Doctor Who world. I'm sure little Matty will too as it was the part that made him. CE is an amazing actor and has incredible skill at making a part believable - just was not right for a role like Doctor Who.

Of course that's just my opinion. I know lots of DW fans who love CE and that's fine with me. I know loads of fans who hate Sylvester McCoy and think he was miscast. I think he was one of the best and love everything about the 7th Doctor (except season 24) and the "Cartmal Masterplan". Life would be so boring if we all agreed on everything!