House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

p.p.

Morgan Stanley Putting Fizz Into Wine

Isn't anyone thinking about UK's 'middle class' wino housewives?

Do something Osborne!

There doesn't seem to be a wine shortage here! :huh:

The British can't afford wine any more due to tax and GBP.

Its turbo cider of you're lucky from now on.

Luxury!

To get a five litre demijohn up to 12% you need about 1.2kg of fermentables or just over a quid's worth of sugar. That's enough for six and half bottles of wine-strength base which you can flavour with anything that comes to hand. Chuck in the cost of yeast and call it 30p a bottle.

On balance, I'm a tad more concerned about monopoly costs such as council tax, water rates and energy bills than whether I can continue to afford to get muntered on a product that the Kiwis (allegedly) and Aussies were dumping as recently as a few months ago.

Oh, and...

Bloomberg: World Wine Production Seen at 7-Year High on Spain and Argentina

As a relevant aside, I understand that UK duty on a bottle of wine is currently £2 a bottle, plus VAT. Which means a £4.99 bottle of wine is £2.16 production and distribution costs, £2.83 tax.

Australian wine is cheaper here than it is in Australia!

Australian wine is cheaper here than it is in Australia!

When I used to live in New Zealand I rocked up to one winery and they were asking a quid more a bottle for their stuff than I could pick it up for in Tescos, South London. And that was before the pound tanked 40% against NZ$. The butter and the lamb was more expensive there as well.

I suspect we're still only half way through importing the inflation that's due to us.

Used teabag wine.....all the rage, you won't believe it until you have tried it, no going back, so simple and so good, ready in no time, the best kind of recycling, using what used to be thrown a second time around.

No tax, no vat.

Used teabag wine.....all the rage, you won't believe it until you have tried it, no going back, so simple and so good, ready in no time, the best kind of recycling, using what used to be thrown a second time around.

No tax, no vat.

:lol:

Rollocks