House Price Crash Forum

Council Letting Property License`

HOLA441

Just heard the local news, one of the local councils are to charge a license fee of £900 for private landlords...to clamp down pon rogue landlords you understand, so it's for our own good.

MORE TAX !!!!!

This was bound to happen.

**** the BBC, **** the banks and **** the greedy councils.

HOLA442

Just heard the local news, one of the local councils are to charge a license fee of £900 for private landlords...to clamp down pon rogue landlords you understand, so it's for our own good.

A year, or one off?

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

I'm struggling to find much sympathy here. Not that I expect many to register - a few people I know have landlords that openly havn't told their bank they are buy to let & wont tell their council in all likelihood. Seems silly to me as it's a good bargaining chip for the tenants I'd assume but with enforcement being so poor normally, maybe the landlords don't care about being so brazen.

HOLA446

Fantastic news.

A landlord wishing to rent out a house on room by room basis a'la rent to rent style MUST apply for and obtain a HMO license from the local council, it's at councils discretion if its granted or not and there could be opposition from neighbours and or a history of previous anti-social problems at the address.

HMO= house of multiple occupancy.

now let me get the worlds smallest violin.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

the government set the rent levels with the state bankers cash giveaway aka housing benefit. hb puts a floor under rent prices...the sooner that's cut the better.

Fully agree.

But it's still the demand side that's rent setting rather than the landlord. It's just that the biggest player on the demand side is an incompetent loaded up with other people's money (mine in particular).

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Because not every other landlord has...yet

In reality, it will be more complicated than that.

The licencing requirements & fee will make some landlords drop out of the market, raising demand for the remainig rental properties. And, against that, the formerly rented-out properties will be used for something else - presumably sold to owner-occupiers.

HOLA4416

The licencing requirements & fee will make some landlords drop out of the market, raising demand for the remainig rental properties. And, against that, the formerly rented-out properties will be used for something else - presumably sold to owner-occupiers.

True. They won't be giving them away though, you know. :D;)

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Its sound like an almighty feck up looming...

It's policy analysis time...

HOLA4419

If your rental business is affected by £180 a year then you're in the wrong business anyway. Which admittedly some are.

Could rents go up £15 a month?

Depends - they vary on my street from £500-700 for basically the same size house.

HOLA4420

If your rental business is affected by £180 a year then you're in the wrong business anyway. Which admittedly some are.

Could rents go up £15 a month?

Depends - they vary on my street from £500-700 for basically the same size house.

TAX TAX TAX TAX TAX.

The council have their massive salaries and pensions to sustain.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

TAX TAX TAX TAX TAX.

The council have their massive salaries and pensions to sustain.

It'll be a small team in each council to deal with this stuff. Probably a team leader on 43k, a couple of assistants on 30k and some admin workers on 15k.. Couple of million a year?

HOLA4424

Landlords voice anger at plans to set up licences to house tenants

1905114344.jpg

I make no comment dry.gif

Don't worry, the Tories won't let these hardworking people suffer.

The Tories on here seem very confused.

You would want to go into a licenced care home wouldn't you? You would want to only get into a licenced taxi cab wouldn't you? Yet you would trust the roof over your head to these unlicenced human traffickers?

Edited by aSecureTenant

HOLA4425

You would want to go into a licenced care home wouldn't you? You would want to only get into a licenced taxi cab wouldn't you? Yet you would trust the roof over your head to these unlicenced human traffickers?

Landlords would be required to comply with the licence conditions ensuring the property has suitable fire detection, safe gas appliances, safe electrics and good energy efficiency.

They will also be required to provide appropriate tenancy agreements and manage their tenants responsibly.

What does that mean? Stopping letting agents charge tenancy renewal fees?