House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TheCountOfNowhere

Council Letting Property License`

Just heard the local news, one of the local councils are to charge a license fee of £900 for private landlords...to clamp down pon rogue landlords you understand, so it's for our own good.

MORE TAX !!!!!

This was bound to happen.

**** the BBC, **** the banks and **** the greedy councils.

Guest eight

Just heard the local news, one of the local councils are to charge a license fee of £900 for private landlords...to clamp down pon rogue landlords you understand, so it's for our own good.

A year, or one off?

I'm struggling to find much sympathy here. Not that I expect many to register - a few people I know have landlords that openly havn't told their bank they are buy to let & wont tell their council in all likelihood. Seems silly to me as it's a good bargaining chip for the tenants I'd assume but with enforcement being so poor normally, maybe the landlords don't care about being so brazen.

Fantastic news.

A landlord wishing to rent out a house on room by room basis a'la rent to rent style MUST apply for and obtain a HMO license from the local council, it's at councils discretion if its granted or not and there could be opposition from neighbours and or a history of previous anti-social problems at the address.

HMO= house of multiple occupancy.

now let me get the worlds smallest violin.

I doubt the landlord will pay it, it'll just put upward pressure on rents.

The market sets the rent not the landlord.

The market sets the rent not the landlord.

the government set the rent levels with the state bankers cash giveaway aka housing benefit. hb puts a floor under rent prices...the sooner that's cut the better.

the government set the rent levels with the state bankers cash giveaway aka housing benefit. hb puts a floor under rent prices...the sooner that's cut the better.

Fully agree.

But it's still the demand side that's rent setting rather than the landlord. It's just that the biggest player on the demand side is an incompetent loaded up with other people's money (mine in particular).

Well, why has the landlord not already put up the rent by £900 if he can get it? :rolleyes:

Because not every other landlord has...yet

Because not every other landlord has...yet

In reality, it will be more complicated than that.

The licencing requirements & fee will make some landlords drop out of the market, raising demand for the remainig rental properties. And, against that, the formerly rented-out properties will be used for something else - presumably sold to owner-occupiers.

The licencing requirements & fee will make some landlords drop out of the market, raising demand for the remainig rental properties. And, against that, the formerly rented-out properties will be used for something else - presumably sold to owner-occupiers.

True. They won't be giving them away though, you know. :D;)

Its sound like an almighty feck up looming...

It's policy analysis time...

If your rental business is affected by £180 a year then you're in the wrong business anyway. Which admittedly some are.

Could rents go up £15 a month?

Depends - they vary on my street from £500-700 for basically the same size house.

If your rental business is affected by £180 a year then you're in the wrong business anyway. Which admittedly some are.

Could rents go up £15 a month?

Depends - they vary on my street from £500-700 for basically the same size house.

TAX TAX TAX TAX TAX.

The council have their massive salaries and pensions to sustain.

TAX TAX TAX TAX TAX.

It'll be a tax deductable so there'll be less tax to pay elsewhere...

The council will be paying their own tax through Housing Benefit. :lol::lol::lol:

You mean local tax payers? The council don't pay for anything, they just raise council tax.

TAX TAX TAX TAX TAX.

It'll be a small team in each council to deal with this stuff. Probably a team leader on 43k, a couple of assistants on 30k and some admin workers on 15k.. Couple of million a year?