House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steppenpig

Tired Of Internet

These days I seem to set out with good intentions, perhaps I need to investigate some potential purchases, check some reviews, book some flights, answer some forum posts. I used to be able to do it for hours. But now I just seem to be able to read a couple of threads and I get overcome with the sort of weariness, that I only knew previously from visiting museums, where you fear that you won't actually be able to make the last 50 yards to the café before your legs actually turn to lead.

Maybe it's because I'm an introvert and it used to be relax-time, but now there's so much going on with all these links and things and youtube, it's all too much, and it takes all bloody day to work out the best flight and train combination and I don't really know why I got out of bed today anyway, I'm just going to have to go back in a few hours, and then I've put on all these clothes for nothing.

In the past year I have found myself viewing a smaller and smaller number of sites.

As more and more data companies "personalise" your viewing experience I find that internet browsing only seems to re-enforce any biased argument to the answer you want. You can see it in arguments with your mates or politics of the world. People are deeply divided and compromise rarely happens. People's ideological views are being re-enforced by reviewing the same information on the internet that re-enforces their own view. Previously you would get a different view from your friends or read a broad spectrum of debate even in the daily mail. Now, MSM news sites only seek to show you stories which they know re-enforce your views.

In the past year I have found myself viewing a smaller and smaller number of sites.

It's odd. I remember when the internet first started. Only visited a few sites ('cos there were only a few sites). Then it got vast I wandered around all over the shop. Was inspired to try new things (cycling and gardening, mainly - plus a bit of politics, investing and anti-consumerist frugality). Now, I'm back to just visiting a few sites. It's all become boring.

Need to get out into the garden more, I think.

I'm starting to feel the same but different reasons - I'm finding things a bit repetitive and unproductive.

... and I don't really know why I got out of bed today anyway, I'm just going to have to go back in a few hours, and then I've put on all these clothes for nothing.

Sign of depression?

It's odd. I remember when the internet first started. Only visited a few sites ('cos there were only a few sites). Then it got vast I wandered around all over the shop. Was inspired to try new things (cycling and gardening, mainly - plus a bit of politics, investing and anti-consumerist frugality). Now, I'm back to just visiting a few sites. It's all become boring.

I'm similar but think it's because I mostly exhausted my big "I want to know" list. Now if something crosses my mind (e.g. what is Jon Perkins, former XTC keyboard player and mainstay of Miss World up to these days?) I look it up and the answer's there straight away.

All the stuff I wanted to read up on I've read up on, so what's left are the forums that cover the stuff I have an interest in because they move and I can interact with them.

I'm not down about it, it's more that I've slaked my thirst for all the various things I was interested in, know it now, so have no need to keep going back.

In a way I'm up about it, the internet is "back in its box" and doesn't take up much of my time unless I'm on the computer anyway, usually listening to radio comedies on "listen again" that I would previously have heard on the radio.

It's there now as a tool to book hotels etc.

I agree about the weariness sometimes, but that's when I'm doing something I don't really want to do so the mind tries to shut down. Something like finding and booking the best value airport parking, or sorting out car insurance. It's got to be done but what a fag.

As more and more data companies "personalise" your viewing experience I find that internet browsing only seems to re-enforce any biased argument to the answer you want. You can see it in arguments with your mates or politics of the world. People are deeply divided and compromise rarely happens. People's ideological views are being re-enforced by reviewing the same information on the internet that re-enforces their own view. Previously you would get a different view from your friends or read a broad spectrum of debate even in the daily mail. Now, MSM news sites only seek to show you stories which they know re-enforce your views.

Good post. I guess they are capitalising on the fact people go looking to re-enforce their views in general though, probably the root of society.

Sounds like you need a hobby. One that involves being outside.

Outdoor swimming would be my choice. Really does wake your brain and body up and give you a proper almost drug like (so i have been told :D ) feeling.

Highly recommended.

Interesting thread. I though it was just me who now finds the internet boring. Most people look at me quite oddly when I tell them how tedious I find it. I've pretty much followed the same pattern as JTB with the same thought about getting out into the garden more. I've also bought a few jigsaw puzzles from the charity shop that I'm enjoying doing which even I find bizarre. I think maybe I need to do something more creative with my time.

I only visit a few sites now too. The rest of the time internet use is mainly for specific information and reading News headlines.

So in anticipation of turning my garden into a glorious oasis next year, I'm looking at rambling roses and climbing plants to buy (online)

Same here. Time was when I used to spend an entire Sunday surfing the web. What killed it off for me is that I discovered kindle ebooks, so I read a lot more books, and also I started writing kindle ebooks, so a lot of time at the computer is spent writing and reading on-line versions of books for reference. The rest of the time I try to get out in the fresh air as much as possible. I don't want to be chained to an iphone like some people.

I find it odd that I ever had time to spend hours playing computer games!

Guest unfunded_liability

Interesting thread. I though it was just me who now finds the internet boring. Most people look at me quite oddly when I tell them how tedious I find it. I've pretty much followed the same pattern as JTB with the same thought about getting out into the garden more. I've also bought a few jigsaw puzzles from the charity shop that I'm enjoying doing which even I find bizarre. I think maybe I need to do something more creative with my time.

I only visit a few sites now too. The rest of the time internet use is mainly for specific information and reading News headlines.

So in anticipation of turning my garden into a glorious oasis next year, I'm looking at rambling roses and climbing plants to buy (online)

+1

The sites I found interesting and informative 6-10 years ago are no longer so, mainly I think because they're saying the same thing over and over again, and I already got the message.

An extreme example is King World News. 6 years ago the 'Dark Years Are Coming', 'Most Important Interview Ever' and 'Astounding Revelation' pieces were a bit different, today they're laughable.

Something like this chap.....

My favourite blog by a country mile.(even though it's disorganised and difficult to read because the latest posts are at the top)

http://arthurleafmould.blogspot.com.br/

Thanks for that, it's got me in stitches!

"It was bad enough having it blown apart, Reg. But one of the ******ing end panels came through our bedroom window!"

You build sheds, not buy ‘em!

:lol::lol::lol:

Thanks for that, it's got me in stitches!

:lol::lol::lol:

PMSL also...the one about the leaf raking up 'Hedgefund Hill' is hilarious! I'd wager a bet that the author of that blog comes on here as well...lots of digs at Cameron, Osborne and the economy...I think there's a bit of Arthur Leafmould in all of us on here!

I'm bored with the likes of Twitter, and Google. Its like television was. A continuous stream of adverts. The Internet has had it's day, in a way, as it is no longer new, but is a good shopping portal, and better than a library, if you search for the right things.

This is about the only site I visit regularly, because the "off topic" is so good, although I also think about the economy. :blink:

I'm currently old enough to remember just how much of a shag it used to be to find stuff out or do stuff before the Internet, and still young enough to still care about finding stuff out.

For sure, there were fun elements to receiving monthly magazine subscriptions in the post, visiting libraries, watching whatever the BBC decided was fit to watch, picking up half price ice-cream in video rental stores, waiting for books and spare parts to come into your local shop on back-order, evening classes, poring over album covers and cleaning turntables but, mostly, it was a ball ache.

The Internet is a jaw-dropping development, comparable with the advent of the printing press. Make of it what you will.

Though allotments are pretty spectacular also.

I'm currently old enough to remember just how much of a shag it used to be to find stuff out or do stuff before the Internet, and still young enough to still care about finding stuff out.

For sure, there were fun elements to receiving monthly magazine subscriptions in the post, visiting libraries, watching whatever the BBC decided was fit to watch, picking up half price ice-cream in video rental stores, waiting for books and spare parts to come into your local shop on back-order, poring over album covers and cleaning turntables but, mostly, it was a ball ache.

The Internet is a jaw-dropping development, comparable with the advent of the printing press. Make of it what you will.

Agree with all of that......the internet is fab, home grown you can't beat it. ;)

how did we ever find anything out? :o

Totally agree on that! But I get fed up with people who post that "they just has a cheese sandwich, so 60,000 friends can "follow" it.

On the useful side, I have just purchased a book on wine making, that I lost a copy of some years ago! God Bless Amazon. :lol:

how did we ever find anything out? :o

Libraries.

Books.

Newspapers.

Magazines.

word of mouth.

Writing to people. Heck do you remember having pen pals?

For sure, there were fun elements to receiving monthly magazine subscriptions in the post, visiting libraries, watching whatever the BBC decided was fit to watch, picking up half price ice-cream in video rental stores, waiting for books and spare parts to come into your local shop on back-order, evening classes, poring over album covers and cleaning turntables but, mostly, it was a ball ache.

True. As recently as 1999, I remember sometimes having to leave the office, get on a bus and go to the reference section of the nearest public library to find out stuff for work. Also, having to dictate letters and look at them all in a big book to sign them at the end of the day.

Mind you, I still use my well thumbed copy of CCJ Berry's First Steps In Winemaking for reference. (10p from the basket outside North London Hospice Shop) Wouldn't be without it.