House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bendy

Hamper Ideas

as good a place as any i guess!

Has anyone any experience of making Christmas hampers as presents rather than buying a load of tat (smellies/games played for an hour etc.)

I've got myself a pressure canner this year but as I haven't used it yet I'm probably not going to do anything that isn't at least containing a fair amount of sugar/salt/vinegar, but then as far as hampers go I don't think people would be wholly impressed with a jar of green beans in water anyway!

So far off the top of my head and not consulting the list I have stuck to the kitchen cupboard I have:

BBQ Sauce

Mango Chutney

Chilli Grapefruit Marmalade

Blackcurrant and elderflower jam

Blackcurrant and elderflower cordial

Chilli Sauce

Sweet Chilli Sauce

Cranberry Sauce

Tamarind Sauce

Horseradish (yet to dig it)

Almond butter (unsure on this, different opinions on canning safely)

Cashew nut butter (and this)

Pate's (pretty much certain I won't be attempting these, maybe 1 just to test myself!)

The only other thing I can think of to put in hampers is some kind of bars, also high in sugar, so a cereal/nut bar of sorts.

Has anyone here ever made their own malt loaf? If so would it keep for ages if glazed? As in months?

Any ideas welcome :)

Wow, suddenly I'm hungry...

Aren't those nut butters going to be expensive to make?

How about a good chunky crunchy piccalilli?

thanks for that reminder winkie I need to put pickled eggs too as one of the recipients is mad on them.

Wow, suddenly I'm hungry...

Aren't those nut butters going to be expensive to make?

How about a good chunky crunchy piccalilli?

Another good call. High vinegar I presume?

There is a nut stall in town, I think blanched almonds are around 80p/100g, a jar of the stuff will be around 300g so coming in at 2.50 a jar + the jar. Probably make 3 of each so not through the roof if I do them. I'm looking to make 6 hampers and maybe have 5-7 items per hamper.

Glad I started this thread as it's also reminded me I need to yet buy the actual hampers!

Also, if anyone knows where to get dirt cheap Kilner/Mason jars that'd be much appreciated as well - best I can find is £1.75 a pop at Morrisons - they might go down to £1-£1.25 at xmas but seeing as I'm clearing them out to the tune of 20-30 a week at the moment they might decide not to discount the line round this neck of the woods!

Also, if anyone knows where to get dirt cheap Kilner/Mason jars that'd be much appreciated as well - best I can find is £1.75 a pop at Morrisons - they might go down to £1-£1.25 at xmas but seeing as I'm clearing them out to the tune of 20-30 a week at the moment they might decide not to discount the line round this neck of the woods!

IKEA used to do a biggosh jar for 99p

1 litre £1.25 http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50213546/

500ml - 80p http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/70213545/

Fill it up with stuff from Lidl - some really nice things in the links below for hampers and good quality stuff as well. Save you a lot of hassle.

http://www.lidl.co.u...l/4176.htm?ar=5

http://www.lidl.co.u...l/4177.htm?ar=5

http://www.lidl.co.u...l/4036.htm?ar=5

Edit:

If so inclined you could buy lots of the above and repackage it, rejar it, etc, and pass it off as your own.

thanks for that reminder winkie I need to put pickled eggs too as one of the recipients is mad on them.

...pickled eggs very nice, not had them for many years, must give them another try..... after you have dug up the horseradish root, do you grate or process it and keep in jar with white wine or cider vinegar? It goes really well with mash potato as it is, or add some cream as you need it for roast beef. ;)

Home brew

:lol:

As much as a waster as I am I have never attempted making it - my brother makes loads though so could do swapsies there!

IKEA used to do a biggosh jar for 99p

Yeah had a look there but no luck, maybe discontinued - canning in the UK is pretty rare unfortunately. They are less than a dollar a pop in the good ol' US of A.

Fill it up with stuff from Lidl - some really nice things in the links below for hampers and good quality stuff as well. Save you a lot of hassle.

http://www.lidl.co.u...l/4176.htm?ar=5

http://www.lidl.co.u...l/4177.htm?ar=5

http://www.lidl.co.u...l/4036.htm?ar=5

Edit:

If so inclined you could buy lots of the above and repackage it, rejar it, etc, and pass it off as your own.

:lol:

I've got 1660 alcoholic units penned in to consume whilst making said hampers over a number of weekends. The longer it takes, the better (10000 units backup just incase!)

...pickled eggs very nice, not had them for many years, must give them another try..... after you have dug up the horseradish root, do you grate or process it and keep in jar with white wine or cider vinegar? It goes really well with mash potato as it is, or add some cream as you need it for roast beef. ;)

I think last time I dug some I just blitzed it in the spice grinder, added some vinegar, sugar and cream. Was a few years back so I'll have to re-google/see what books I have and revisit this.

Yeah had a look there but no luck, maybe discontinued - canning in the UK is pretty rare unfortunately. They are less than a dollar a pop in the good ol' US of A.

You want the ones with the 2 part lid?

We've used them for jam but the cheap clip top ones do just as good a job for jams/chutneys the couple of times we've done it.

Think we've done pate in them too but not kept it for long nor given it to people.

You want the ones with the 2 part lid?

We've used them for jam but the cheap clip top ones do just as good a job for jams/chutneys the couple of times we've done it.

Think we've done pate in them too but not kept it for long nor given it to people.

Yah the seal and the screwband is the ones I'm after.

I've ordered a load of normal jars for anything high sugar/vinegar as I think most of them can be preserved with a seal of greasepaper and the waterbath method.

It's the stuff that can produce real nasties that I need the heavy duty jars for, which don't appear to come cheap - though one thing I have read is that the DO NOT REUSE the seals is a crock of shite.

Another good call. High vinegar I presume?

Yep. Been a while since I made any, but I think sugar and salt too, as well as turmeric and other spices - amazing with strong cheeses so good to have around for Christmas.

We did hampers as presents a few years ago- nothing home produced, except maybe butter shortbread which is piss easy to make/bake. We were, and still are, big fans of a 'booze cruise' to Calais, and so filled the hampers with stuff that's a cheap commodity in French Hypermarkets, but exotic/expensive over here- wholegrain/Dijon mustard, cornichons, olive cocktails, ready mixed salad dressings, cooking chocolate, etc. etc.

They used to go down a storm (honestly! :lol: ), but since we discovered that you can get most of the same stuff in Lidl/Aldi now - and since our snobby families came around to the idea of shopping there- we haven't bothered, as it was a bit of an effort in any case. I will say however that Lidl's wholegrain mustard is filthy muck compared to the French stuff, so we never come back without some!

Already running into problems. I see my bbq sauce recipe requires worcestershire suace but I've used the last batch I made - this is going to be a long journey!

(Ups alcohol units to 50k).