House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
supersonic

Landlord Coming To Visit With Local Authorities

It may be because neighbours have complained about the volume of my sound system. What are my rights? Can they confiscate my equipment?

They're more likely to serve an abatement notice on you under the Environmental Protection Act 1990. It then becomes a criminal offence for you to breach it by continuing to cause a nuisance. They do have power to confiscate the equipment in serious cases under the Noise Act 1996.

http://www.environmentlaw.org.uk/rte.asp?id=76

It may be because neighbours have complained about the volume of my sound system. What are my rights? Can they confiscate my equipment?

Either:

a) Turn down your music and stop being an anti-social ignorant moronic tw*t

or

B) Quit your job as an E.A. before they sack you as the housing market is dead.

Maybe they are coming to offer you a record deal?

Maybe they are coming to offer you a record deal?

It's no joke being stuck next door to some selfish ***kwit, at least if you rent you can always move, if you buy a house you are stuck next to said selfish ***kwit.

Some people are more sensitive to noise than others. Personally, I go home to get peace and quiet, not enjoy the dubious benefits of someone else's music choice. The odd party a couple of times a year or hour's blast to get yourself in the mood for a Friday evening out is, of course, fine.

That said, most of us were young and a tad antisocial once. And it can very difficult if you are in the epicentre of the racket to realise how it might be disturbing others.

If you believe this is the case why don't you try and limit the noise you make?

You seem very worried about your rights but not at all about your neighbours!

Some people are more sensitive to noise than others. Personally, I go home to get peace and quiet, not enjoy the dubious benefits of someone else's music choice. The odd party a couple of times a year or hour's blast to get yourself in the mood for a Friday evening out is, of course, fine.

That said, most of us were young and a tad antisocial once. And it can very difficult if you are in the epicentre of the racket to realise how it might be disturbing others.

This.

Like playing your music loud in your car with the windows down

We've all done it but nobody, nobody wants to hear it.

If it's got to this stage then you've really annoyed people. Stop it, knock on their door and apologise.

I've some experience here.... Used to throw some wild(ish) parties in my younger days (only occasionally)

The police coming round is not scary.

The "environmental health" are however. They have far more powers than the police in these situations. They can march into your residence and take away anything capable of making a sound.

If you're not make a racket when they come round don't think they can take anything. But they can serve you with an ASBO.

From my wealth of experience of dealing with noisey neighbours:

EH don't just meet up with your landlord and yourself for minor noise incidents. It takes a number of weeks and many hoops being jumped through to get to the stage you are at. This will include EH having witnessed the noise. I expect that you are going to be handed a noise abatement order. Well done, you've earned it.

I must admit our immediate neighbour on the top floor throw some proper nightclub parties once in a while. Goes on until 2am-3.30am at times. Luckily these are only every once in a while, but recently they've had about 3 in 3 months, only on the weekend, and normally on a saturday. i'd of thought the flat below must hear it proper big time.

I may well put a note in their postbox to say abide by the rules of the apartment ie no music after 11pm. Don't want to fall out with them as they are not a bad couple, is a bit much though.

I don't mind hearing an hour every now and again, i'm fairly tollerant to peoples noise.

I must admit our immediate neighbour on the top floor throw some proper nightclub parties once in a while. Goes on until 2am-3.30am at times. Luckily these are only every once in a while, but recently they've had about 3 in 3 months, only on the weekend, and normally on a saturday. i'd of thought the flat below must hear it proper big time.

I may well put a note in their postbox to say abide by the rules of the apartment ie no music after 11pm. Don't want to fall out with them as they are not a bad couple, is a bit much though.

I don't mind hearing an hour every now and again, i'm fairly tollerant to peoples noise.

When you have the true neighbour from hell, it can turn you ultra-sensitive. So you hear not just the evil ****, but if you're having a quiet night then just a car slowing in the road outside at 2, 3 or 4 a.m. wakes you up[1] in terror that it's the **** coming home to destroy your night.

Good to hear that somewhere, a landlord is taking action against a destroyer of lives.

[1] And that's from a bedroom at the back of the house, from where you'd never even hear a car passing unless you'd been hyper-sensitised.