House Price Crash Forum
evictee

I Made A House Prices Web Site

I finally got round to doing something I've been meaning to do for ages, put together a hopefully half decent site for exploring the prices paid data from the Land Registry, with the emphasis on fast, clean and easy to navigate. Hope some of you like it... here it is:

http://houseprices.io

Repeat sale data is slightly thin on the ground at the moment (though I've filtered for this on the home page - for a bit of colour) as only data from 2009 onwards has been released under the Open Government License so far. Hopefully this will change very shortly as they're due to publish sales going back to 1995 'by November 2013', which should improve things greatly.

Please take a look if you get a chance, and any comments, suggestions, questions etc. would be very gratefully received. Of course if any of you with blogs or social media at your disposal were generous enough to give it a shout out, that would be extremely cool. I don't think my Field of Dreams school of marketing is all I had it cracked up to be. Cheers!

Excellent resource!

As an aside, I looked up my old flat which I sold several years ago and it is listed on the LR at a figure some £20k less than I received for it! Any ideas why this might be so? Seems a bit dodgy to me....

Very good, from the FAQ section

.io?

.com and .co.uk were already taken! The .io country code top level domain is assigned to British Indian Ocean Territory, which with a population of about 3,000 hasn't made as much native use of its domain as most. A long time favourite with computer folk as a play on the term Input/Output it has lately found favour with startups in general and has recently begun to be treated as a global domain in Google search results.

And there was me thinking it was a nod to Interest Only mortgages

I finally got round to doing something I've been meaning to do for ages, put together a hopefully half decent site for exploring the prices paid data from the Land Registry, with the emphasis on fast, clean and easy to navigate. Hope some of you like it... here it is:

Repeat sale data is slightly thin on the ground at the moment (though I've filtered for this on the home page - for a bit of colour) as only data from 2009 onwards has been released under the Open Government License so far. Hopefully this will change very shortly as they're due to publish sales going back to 1995 'by November 2013', which should improve things greatly.

Please take a look if you get a chance, and any comments, suggestions, questions etc. would be very gratefully received. Of course if any of you with blogs or social media at your disposal were generous enough to give it a shout out, that would be extremely cool. I don't think my Field of Dreams school of marketing is all I had it cracked up to be. Cheers!

Great work! I also run one as a side hobby for Cambridge here: Cambridge House Prices. You may know already but the LR are releasing ALL historical price paid data next month I think, back to 2005. Will be great for comparing volumes.

Best of luck

Ok, a constructive comment now. Perhaps the nominal change should be expressed as an CAGR rather than a flat %, or show both. It would be good to have an explanation what the real change is, presumably adjusted for RPI. Perhaps you could have one against wage inflation too, but it might start to get a bit cluttered.

Please take a look if you get a chance, and any comments, suggestions, questions etc. would be very gratefully received.

Could you please make a chart that shows aggregate monthly total house sales. For example add up all of the house sales every month and put them on a chart.

It would show the total market value every month. I have never seen this done and I think it would be useful market indicator.

P.S I was going to have a go at it, but haven't had the time. It should just be a matter of adding up every transaction every month and plonking them on a standard line chart.

Excellent resource!

As an aside, I looked up my old flat which I sold several years ago and it is listed on the LR at a figure some £20k less than I received for it! Any ideas why this might be so? Seems a bit dodgy to me....

Do you have any paperwork relating to it still?

Just had post deleted for presumably linking to our own site which uses the land reg to help buyers stay informed in Cambridge. :unsure:

Nevertheless well done, love your site and I will repeat what I said in my original post: The landreg is due to release ALL historical price paid information back to 2005 in November which should be good for volume comparisons, if you weren't aware already.

Best of luck

David @ CambridgeHousePrices

Very good effort, thanks. Any chance on improving the search engine? I.e. when I search "43 highclere road" it returns 60 results, with house numbers all over the place.

That's a fantastic site!

I know you'll get lots of requests for certain info and additions, so I hope I can make one more. I use the land reg for creating clustered bar charts of sold prices in a particular street based on whether they are terraced, semi or detached. That makes it really easy to compare against the asking price of any property that is currently for sale, and it's caused a few agents to stop in their tracks, and got one seller to drop his asking price by over 20% - it's pretty hard to argue against such a basic chart.

Something like that would be fantastic. I also add a line chart of the average terraced/semi/detached for that area, as another visual guide, but asking for that is probably being a bit cheeky ;)

Either way, nice site, well done :)

Brilliant! V impressed. :)

Cheers SleepyDog, you've no idea how relieved I was to see this first comment! Ditto the rest of you with all your too kind words. Thanks!

...I looked up my old flat which I sold several years ago and it is listed on the LR at a figure some £20k less than I received for it! Any ideas why this might be so? Seems a bit dodgy to me....

Yes, I do wonder about dodgy motives in such errors, but not ever having had the pleasure of buying or selling a house I'm not sure how this data is recorded. Is it a form the buyer fills out himself, perhaps subject to an OCR or transcription mistake?

Great work! I also run one as a side hobby for Cambridge here: Cambridge House Prices.

Very nice indeed! I hadn't come across it, but will follow with interest.

Add a Cumulative Nominal and Cumulative Real for repeat sales?

Good idea, thanks.

It might help the ever vigilant BoE spot if any bubbles form.

Hmmm!

Perhaps the nominal change should be expressed as an CAGR rather than a flat %, or show both. It would be good to have an explanation what the real change is, presumably adjusted for RPI. Perhaps you could have one against wage inflation too, but it might start to get a bit cluttered.

You're right, CAGR should be included and will become all the more important as more historic data come on stream. It should replace the total % change as the headline figure in the main table perhaps, what do you think? And yes, the real change is RPI adjusted, I didn't realise I hadn't made that clear. Good spot, will update the FAQ.

Could you please make a chart that shows aggregate monthly total house sales.

Will have a go!

Very good effort, thanks. Any chance on improving the search engine? I.e. when I search "43 highclere road" it returns 60 results, with house numbers all over the place.

Yes, that's not ideal is it, sorry! I excluded house numbers from the search when I noticed that too many people were getting zero results searching for a specific address (what with the data not going back so far yet). I overlooked that it's not great when it goes too far the other way. I'll try and make it a bit more intelligent. Thanks for pointing that out.

Fantastic piece of work!

I do like that very much... clean, clear and simple. Well done! I spotted a house I was looking at earlier in the summer - wondered what it had actually gone for and now I know. :) I've added the link to my housey favourites.

Good job. Thank you.

Edited by Woot