House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Sheffield Tenants Fear Houses Will Never Be Improved

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/sheffield-tenants-fear-houses-will-never-be-improved-1-6193000

Thousands of Sheffield Council tenants who were promised home improvements nearly a decade ago may now never have the work done, The Star can reveal.

The £670 million Decent Homes scheme – launched in 2004 – involved rewiring, new windows, doors, heating systems, kitchens and bathrooms.

Altogether, the work was worth around £16,000 per property.

But now it has emerged officials only ever budgeted for 32,300 of the city’s 42,000 council houses – because they thought the rest would be sold under the right to buy scheme.

But in fact house sales collapsed due to the recession and only around 1,000 homes were actually sold, which has meant less income from sales.

Around £10 million of work today still remains outstanding.

Clearly people are idiots for not buying the house when there were £16k of house improvements for "free" in the offering! More solidly unexpected news.

Council tenants do pay rent you know, so I object about the 'free' comment.

Some council properties are in appalling condition, badly built and maintained. Paying £16k to refurbish a property that might not have touched for decades doesn't sound that expensive to me.

Council tenants do pay rent you know, so I object about the 'free' comment.

Some council properties are in appalling condition, badly built and maintained. Paying £16k to refurbish a property that might not have touched for decades doesn't sound that expensive to me.

How many years rent is £16k?

The money comes from somewhere to fund this.

How many years rent is £16k?

The money comes from somewhere to fund this.

4 years rent.

Council houses have paid for themselves many times over.

Some have been sold and then magically increased in price over the years.

The council has paid millions to demolish thousands of them, when it has a waiting list more than double the size of the stock.

I think my ALMO might be struggling. They were supposed to be replacing the lifts in my block (its only five storeys) but we received a letter the other day saying this 'investment' had been cancelled. Not that it hugely bothers me as I live on the ground floor.

Thankfully all our flats were modernised a few years ago. New kitchen, bathroom, gch. and rewired so should last a bit.

Mind they found the money for this:

http://www.examiner....d-flats-4942161

artist-s-impression-of-richmond-flats-revamp-676529667-4901396.jpg

£87k per flat!!

Some of the comments are appalling, but for a while these flats were a dumping ground for the towns 'undesirables.'

Edited by aSecureTenant

If Sheffield is anything like Leeds rent arrears are up 50% a year ,so a bit stingy of the councils not to improve the living standards maybe by installing jacuzzi baths and steam rooms for the tenants.

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/latest-news/top-stories/shock-rise-in-leeds-city-council-rent-arrears-1-6192699

Edited by papag

If Sheffield is anything like Leeds rent arrears are up 50% a year ,so a bit stingy of the councils not to improve the living standards maybe by installing jacuzzi baths and steam rooms for the tenants.

http://www.yorkshire...rears-1-6192699

The authority has seen its rent arrears shoot up by almost TWO MILLION pounds since the controversial ‘bedroom tax’ was introduced in April.

'Nuff said about the Corporative Party policies.