House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tomandlu

Baby Peter - What A Balls Up

So, Shoesmith may be getting a half-million pay-out, largely thanks to that odious shit, Ed Balls. Thanks, Obama.

http://www.theguardian.com/global/2013/oct/29/sharon-shoesmith-agrees-unfair-dismissal

If the Nuremberg trials were being held in todays UK they would be handing out billions those found guilty of genocide and war crimes.

So, Shoesmith may be getting a half-million pay-out, largely thanks to that odious shit, Ed Balls. Thanks, Obama.

http://www.theguardian.com/global/2013/oct/29/sharon-shoesmith-agrees-unfair-dismissal

The point that is not made is that Balls himself bears a great deal of responsiblity for the case and that the sacking of Shoesmith was a convenient bit of scapegoating to protect his own position.

IIRC (and I can't find the relevant articles, I think they're hidden behind the Times paywall) it was Balls who decided to merge the roles of education and child protection to create a single department of childrens services. This stroke of genius ensured that the department would either be led by somebody who was experienced in education but wholly inexperienced in child protection (as Shoesmith was) or by somebody who was the exact opposite and equally incapable of fulfilling the dual role.

Social services was a complete shambles across the country at the time and Haringey was certainly no worse than many other boroughs which suffered similarly appalling cases, what was unique in this case was that it was the same borough in which a similarly high profile case occured a few years previously hence the extraordinary media attention at the time and the need for decisive action to protect the position of the Secretary of State.

The point that is not made is that Balls himself bears a great deal of responsiblity for the case and that the sacking of Shoesmith was a convenient bit of scapegoating to protect his own position.

IIRC (and I can't find the relevant articles, I think they're hidden behind the Times paywall) it was Balls who decided to merge the roles of education and child protection to create a single department of childrens services. This stroke of genius ensured that the department would either be led by somebody who was experienced in education but wholly inexperienced in child protection (as Shoesmith was) or by somebody who was the exact opposite and equally incapable of fulfilling the dual role.

Social services was a complete shambles across the country at the time and Haringey was certainly no worse than many other boroughs which suffered similarly appalling cases, what was unique in this case was that it was the same borough in which a similarly high profile case occured a few years previously hence the extraordinary media attention at the time and the need for decisive action to protect the position of the Secretary of State.

I know someone who works for Haringey - and yes your description of Shoesmith is pretty spot on.

What I cant understand is how she is likely to get £500,000 - I thought unfair dismissal (which I believe she has a reasonable case) is limited to £115000. I can only assume she has taken a civil damages claim - based on her career being ruined not least due to all the publicity?