House Price Crash Forum

Only 329 'affordable Homes' Built In Wales

HOLA441

Only 329 'affordable homes' built in Wales. Rest must be unaffordable then

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local-news/number-affordable-homes-being-built-6246209

The number of affordable homes being built in Cardiff has plunged by more than a fifth in a year - with even less planned for next year, according to new figures.

Statistics revealed by the Welsh Government on the number of affordable homes showed it dropped by 21% in 2012-2013 compared to the previous year, with just 329 built.

Analysis by WalesOnline also reveals that just 233 affordable homes are planned for 2013-2014, which would represent a further 29% drop.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Probably none of them!

I live on an estate built in 2008 with a mix of affordable and unaffordable properties.

By 2011, with the "affordable" homes still unaffordable for local people (or perhaps most local people did not want to spend £45,000 to live in a bedsit) the developer was allowed to sell the "affordable" homes at unaffordable prices. (I think a few have been bought as buy-to-let).

Three properties had to stay "affordable" , two have sold and one the developer rents out .

I think the two that sold probably broke the rules in order to be sold.

It is worth noting also that the "affordable" homes also come with hugely unaffordable management fees (ground rent etc) far more than that being paid by residents living in the unaffordable properties.

HOLA445
HOLA446

Not sure if I understand the point of building "affordable*" homes.

What is the benefit? What is the argument for not building only high spec, large houses? Wouldn't that help to ensure existing housing stock remains more "affordable*". At least it may avoid building slums of the future.

*Just being clear I'm using the housing policy/planning specific meaning, rather than the generally understood dictionary meaning.

HOLA447
HOLA448

Not sure if I understand the point of building "affordable*" homes.

Round here it's a big issue - and I'm sure we're not alone. The London boomer exodus sucks up any property with more than 2 bedrooms (retirees downsizing from London need 3 or 4 at least).

Posted yesterday, but worth repeating, 70s 3-bed bungalow in village sold recently for 20x local avg earnings, just down the road is a local guy with a property maintenance business, with employees, paying real tax, who is having to live in a mobile home.

Developers should be building 60% affordable and they should have covenants that they can only be resold to local workers.

The problem is the retirees don't really need any local services, don't need schools, don't need shops as use Tesco/Waitrose delivery etc. and they didn't need public transport to commute so much so it's all been cut. So local wages get even lower as unemployment is higher than it should be.

HOLA449

Round here it's a big issue - and I'm sure we're not alone. The London boomer exodus sucks up any property with more than 2 bedrooms (retirees downsizing from London need 3 or 4 at least).

Posted yesterday, but worth repeating, 70s 3-bed bungalow in village sold recently for 20x local avg earnings, just down the road is a local guy with a property maintenance business, with employees, paying real tax, who is having to live in a mobile home.

Developers should be building 60% affordable and they should have covenants that they can only be resold to local workers.

The problem is the retirees don't really need any local services, don't need schools, don't need shops as use Tesco/Waitrose delivery etc. and they didn't need public transport to commute so much so it's all been cut. So local wages get even lower as unemployment is higher than it should be.

Low price (I'll use that term, rather than affordable as that's been hijacked) housing is a massive issue where I live as well. But when new "affordable" flats or houses are built in developments they are far from low price. My point is that perhaps people from London/other wealthy buyers will purchase the large, high spec, desirable houses in the new developments, rather than buying up the existing housing stock. Thereby leaving that existing stock for local buyers.

I'm not sure at all what the answer is. I only know that I have yet to see one of these "affordable" houses that any local first time buyers, even a good local wage (although locals working in London may be a different story), would be able to buy without significant assistance. So why bother?

HOLA4410

I hadn't made the connection before - but this thread has just reminded me - where we last rented (nearer the coast) - the two houses next to us were built as small affordable local property they were bought by:

1) A retiree who BTL'd it to a travelling salesman

2) A hedge fund exec from home counties who used it as a holiday home very occasionally

The toilet drains used to block all the time as they were not in use constantly enough (Dynorod said it was a common issue where there is lots of holiday lets) - bought my own rods in the end.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
1382993827[/url]' post='909420342']

I'm on the housing register for 'affordable' rented flats.

One of the 2 bedroomed flats owned by a housing association that I can bid on is £122 a month. This is about the same as some private rented flats.

Surely you mean £122 a week? blink.gif

HOLA4418

I'm on the housing register for 'affordable' rented flats.

One of the 2 bedroomed flats owned by a housing association that I can bid on is £122 a month. This is about the same as some private rented flats.

£122 a week? Are you a couple if looking to bid on two bed?

HOLA4419

Surely you mean £122 a week? blink.gif

Oops! :wacko: Yes I meant £122 a week. Putting in overtime makes tires my brain in the evenings. -_-

£122 a week? Are you a couple if looking to bid on two bed?

No, just as a single applicant. In my local authority I can bid on some 2 bedders so long as they aren't on the ground floor. I assume these are in areas less popular with families. :unsure:

Sorry to the Welsh members, digressing a little from the OP. I'm appalled that so few 'cheap rented' homes (for want of a better phrase) have been built in Wales.

Edited by MattW