House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

81% Of Women Drink Above The Safety Guidelines Weekly

This isn't the main thrust of the story but what a statistic. So it's not just our own 7 Year Itch and Nuggets Mahoney (both men AFAIK).

And this is just the ones who admit to it. Make that 95%.

Now either you think the nation's women are a bunch of raging alcoholics (and presumably the men too) or the safety guidelines are an absolute pile of tosh and need to be scrapped as of now and permanently replaced with the "alcohol free days" message.

A recent British survey confirmed her observations, with 81 per cent of women who admitted they drank above the safety guidelines every week saying they did so 'to wind down from a stressful day'.

'This is an epidemic. High-functioning, intelligent women are using alcohol as a coping mechanism to take the edge off and stop their brain going at 300 miles an hour,' explains Sarah Turner, co-author of The Sober Revolution and owner of the Harrogate Sanctuary for middle-aged, middle-class women who drink too much.

While relaxing after a hard day with a drink is nothing new, it's the scale and sudden increase in the problem that has now worried experts. Thanks to the recession and an uncertain job market, more than half of 35 to 54-year-old women say they are more stressed than they were in 2008 - and many are relying on drink on a daily basis to help.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2478003/Oblivion-drinker-Its-chilling-new-term-middle-class-women-using-alcohol-blot-stress-trying-perfect-Read-stories-ask-youre-.html

This isn't the main thrust of the story but what a statistic. So it's not just our own 7 Year Itch and Nuggets Mahoney (both men AFAIK).

Now either you think the nation's women are a bunch of raging alcoholics (and presumably the men too) or the safety guidelines are an absolute pile of tosh and need to be scrapped as of now and permanently replaced with the "alcohol free days" message.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2478003/Oblivion-drinker-Its-chilling-new-term-middle-class-women-using-alcohol-blot-stress-trying-perfect-Read-stories-ask-youre-.html

I'd question the provenance of this anonymous 'recent' survey, especially as it is in an advertorial puff-piece about this woman's book and 'sanctuary'.

Nothing wrong with a big G&T, Frank! The difference is, whether you are permanently pickled, or not! Sort of stops you driving! :blink:

Nothing wrong with a big G&T, Frank! The difference is, whether you are permanently pickled, or not! Sort of stops you driving! :blink:

HM The Queen would agree with you, and she has never been observed to be the worse for wear:

According to Margaret Rhodes, the Queen's cousin, HM's alcohol intake never varies. She takes a gin and Dubonnet before lunch, with a slice of lemon and a lot of ice. She will take wine with lunch and a dry Martini and a glass of champagne in the evening. That comes to six units a day, which would make Her Majesty a binge drinker by Government standards.

And more than double the recommended weekly intake. She looks well on it.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10784811

:lol:

As it happens, I'm quite looking forward to a mostly dry November.

I know a couple of women who fit the demographic and drinking habits in that story like a glove. The thing is neither of them have what most people, from the outside looking in, would consider to be that hard a day.

The whole units business has been debunked as being 'made up.' The recommended units are actually very low, and so very easy to 'go over' so are practically useless. Binging is something like 4 pints! Symptomatic of the nannying and over-zealous health brigade.

This is from QI.

I think perhaps the message should be have a 2 or 3 days without consuming any alcohol.

Not surprising.

The 'guidelines' are generally nonsense. I remember one that states if you have more than about 2 pints of lager makes you a binge drinker. You could probably drive after two pints ffs !!

The 'days off' message seems to be more popular these days. Makes sense. Its something people can hear and think makes sense and is something they can do.

I have 4-5 days off a week. However my 2-3 days on it every week really do push the limits of bevvy. :D

HM The Queen would agree with you, and she has never been observed to be the worse for wear:

By the look of it she drinks with meals. Not all half dozen units a day are going to be equal.

Doesn't sound like a "binge drinker" to me! She has been monarch since before I was born! Wish I was related, but I'm quite a long way from the Throne, really! King Pin has quite a ring to it! Innit? :huh:

Not surprising.

The 'guidelines' are generally nonsense. I remember one that states if you have more than about 2 pints of lager makes you a binge drinker. You could probably drive after two pints ffs !!

The 'days off' message seems to be more popular these days. Makes sense. Its something people can hear and think makes sense and is something they can do.

I have 4-5 days off a week. However my 2-3 days on it every week really do push the limits of bevvy. :D

Same here - the 'on' days go over what the weekly recommended limits are.

Love the post about the Queen being a waster there^ :lol:

Anyone ever had the queens favourite tipple before ? I got it made up in a cocktail bar once. Rocket fuel.

Same here - the 'on' days go over what the weekly recommended limits are.

Love the post about the Queen being a waster there^ :lol:

Aye - i am a proper binge drinker. I do think all the days off should keep me ok though. Time will tell.

Aye - i am a proper binge drinker. I do think all the days off should keep me ok though. Time will tell.

A few days off is always good! I reckon the gentlemen known as Mahoney, Hovis, and Pin could show you a bit about drinking! :huh:

Per annum? But that's almost once a quarter :o

Until I started this fasting lark I reckon between the ages of 16 to 30 I probably had less than 20 days (when ill) not on the sauce :|

Binging is 6 units at a time isn't it?

Do you mean really or according to a completely arbitrary definition? IMO the real definition of a binge is anything that leaves you hung over.

A few days off is always good! I reckon the gentlemen known as Mahoney, Hovis, and Pin could show you a bit about drinking! :huh:

Oh i don't know us sweaties manage ok with the bevvy !!

My all day/night Saturday session this weekend was at least twenty pints :o:ph34r:

My all day/night Saturday session this weekend was at least twenty pints :o:ph34r:

God help us! I can usually only do 16 pints! :lol:

God help us! I can usually only do 16 pints! :lol:

You guys are animals :o

I deliberately went for it about six months ago because I haven't drunk to get hammered for many years and wondered if I would still enjoy it, and what my limit was.

I managed nine. I didn't enjoy it, the next morning was a total write-off, and most of the afternoon I was below par.

Twenty or sixteen are out of my league these days, and always were, I peaked at about twelve for a heavy sesh and fourteen for special all-dayers. No wish to revisit.

You guys are animals :o

I deliberately went for it about six months ago because I haven't drunk to get hammered for many years and wondered if I would still enjoy it, and what my limit was.

I managed nine. I didn't enjoy it, the next morning was a total write-off, and most of the afternoon I was below par.

Twenty or sixteen are out of my league these days, and always were, I peaked at about twelve for a heavy sesh and fourteen for special all-dayers. No wish to revisit.

It does take a long and hard training regime

Olympic athletes have no idea :D

I see a business opportunity.

Pin ccc enterprises:

Max your bevy capacity with our simple six step plan.

The graduation ceremony would be memorable.

The home brew society at college had a training guide for pint races which recommended starting with a half pint of water and working up. I trust that you will have no such half-measures.

If I know I'm going out on a bender, I'll make sure I drink 2-3 pints two nights before and then 5-6 pints the night before. Otherwise the hangover is crippling for days.

If I know I'm going out on a bender, I'll make sure I drink 2-3 pints two nights before and then 5-6 pints the night before. Otherwise the hangover is crippling for days.

Never heard of that. This sort of thing should be taught in schools.

Sex in the City syndrome.

Women are such suckers for all this lifestyle marketing bullsh1t.

* Overpriced unwearable shoes

* Wine bar 'culture'

* Costa coffee

* Buy 6 get 1 free bottles of cheap supermarket red

Then they wonder why most men can't be ar5ed with them.

Sad.