House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

High Pay In The Nhs

Utter political tosh.

Look at the pay rates of doctors and GPs if you want to know who really earns the megabucks.

Of course that would upset the applecart so lets just look at a select few easy targets instead...

twats,

Utter political tosh.

Look at the pay rates of doctors and GPs if you want to know who really earns the megabucks.

Of course that would upset the applecart so lets just look at a select few easy targets instead...

twats,

I agree that doctors are overpaid but it is a real gravy train for execs in soem trusts. When you split national organisations into these small self-governing trusts the senior execs relaise that they can set their own levels of pay and, in some cases, become very greedy indeed. Housing Associations are the same, they start out on transfer paying normal rates for the area and then start "benchmarking" their pay to national levels ("as it's a national market") and end up way above what they could get for any other job locally.

This idea of lots of small competing organisations really doesn't work when they're all drawing their income from the governement purse with nothing to rein in their greed, not even shareholders.

Utter political tosh.

twats,

Doctors and GP's vote for people like Hunt. They won't be touched.

What are the pay levels for private executives taking on NHS contracts then? I'd be very surprised if they're not even more inflated.

Jeremy Hunt is an utter bellend.

We're going to see more and more of this as greedy healthcare lobby-bots robbed of loot by Obamacare look at the NHS and the various ways to carve it over the coming years.

Surely the thread title should be "for executives"?

My guess would be pay NHS executives even more, paid for by reducing everyone else onto NMW and zero hour contracts.

My guess would be pay NHS executives even more, paid for by reducing everyone else onto NMW and zero hour contracts.

Yip. That's pretty close to what is happening.

I can't bring myself to actually read the comments from Jeremy Hunt.

But now the NHS has been nicely sliced into 220 CCGs there must be enormous potential for unbridled troughing to go on.

I notice Hunty hasn't stopped some of the current crop of "managers" increasing their handsome 6-figure salaries by 13% whilst some nurses

haven't had a pay increase for 3 years.

How many of these "managers" are now earning in excess of the prime minister?

Utter political tosh.

Well that's a highly subjective term so how exactly would you define "mega bucks"? Round here, the doctors seem to be priced out of the high end houses.

Well that's a highly subjective term so how exactly would you define "mega bucks"? Round here, the doctors seem to be priced out of the high end houses.

... because we are in a housing bubble.

Yes.

Define mega bucks.

Any way, what amazes me is a GP gets less than a consultant.

Also, the consultant who deals with your acne gets the same salary as the surgeon who takes out your brain tumour.

Well,looks like Dr consultant is doing very well to make £100,000 a year. This means they could probably afford a mortgage of £400,000.

Sorry - this is not "mega bucks" A lot of money but not a fortune surely. Most consultants are maybe 35 at least before they are appointed and they seem to start around £80,000. So maybe £900 a week in their hand? Possibly a lot for treating ringworm or such but not for taking your cancer out. And after all that study.

Well,looks like Dr consultant is doing very well to make £100,000 a year. This means they could probably afford a mortgage of £400,000.

Sorry - this is not "mega bucks" A lot of money but not a fortune surely. Most consultants are maybe 35 at least before they are appointed and they seem to start around £80,000. So maybe £900 a week in their hand? Possibly a lot for treating ringworm or such but not for taking your cancer out. And after all that study.

I understand that consultants may be able to operate a private practice in addition to their NHS contract. So I guess their total income could be far higher than the NHS pay scale indicates.

Wasn't there some sort of furore a few years ago about the hours a consultant was required to work in their NHS contract?

I understand that consultants may be able to operate a private practice in addition to their NHS contract. So I guess their total income could be far higher than the NHS pay scale indicates.

Wasn't there some sort of furore a few years ago about the hours a consultant was required to work in their NHS contract?

They are limited in what they can do outside working hours by their contract..

I'd like to know what constitutes excessive pay or even mega bucks if anyone can advise me.

Anyone being paid in the top 5% of earners in this country must certainly be classed as 'megabucks'

Anyone being paid in the top 5% of earners in this country must certainly be classed as 'megabucks'

What level is that? I'd have said top 1% as the better reference point.

What level is that? I'd have said top 1% as the better reference point.

I think the vast majority of the population would describe anyone in the top 5% of earners as on megabucks

I am sure Google can help you.

It all depends on what your definition of megabucks actually is.

But i would bet both my balls and my todger that you go out into the street and ask one hundred random people 'is someone earning a basic salary of over £100k plus generous benefits on megabucks?'

I would bet probably 95+% would answer yes.

I am sure similar surveys but without that exact phrase have been done already.

I am sure Google can help you.

It all depends on what your definition of megabucks actually is.

But i would bet both my balls and my todger that you go out into the street and ask one hundred random people 'is someone earning a basic salary of over £100k plus generous benefits on megabucks?'

I would bet probably 95+% would answer yes.

I am sure similar surveys but without that exact phrase have been done already.

Well thank you for your advice. It seems under 2% earn more than 100000 a year.

However as to 95% of people considering this mega bucks, that's a lot more subjective, so you may not be entirely safe from emasculation .

You'll need to be in the top 1-2% of academic ability to get into medical school. Be prepared to take on £9k fees and £4/5k of living expenses per year for 5 years. You start on about £23k as a junior doctor. The starting salary for a consultant is £72k after 19 years of training and numerous exams. The mean age of appointment is 37. The job comes with high levels of personal stress and ever decreasing control. You'll be working 44 hours per week (to start with although that will increase when you are in post). About 6 of which will be outside of 7am-7pm each week with you taking it in turns to work at the weekend about once every 6 weeks.

My registrar (in training to be a consultant) earns less than her half sister who has 3 GCSE and sells insurance. So being a trainee isn't much cop either.

The final issue is that basically your main employment is for a monopoly state employer.

Outside of London and the south east there is negligible private practice for most. Even then only 25% of UK consultants do any.

Interestingly an established consultant in their 40's working 48-52 hours per week will earn about £100k. This is commensurate with the boundary between the top 2 and 3% of earners in the country. Matching roughly the academic abilities of the average school leaver that enters medical school.

As for a 4x single salary mortgage I think you'd be mad, but maybe that's why I don't have a house!

You'll need to be in the top 1-2% of academic ability to get into medical school. Be prepared to take on £9k fees and £4/5k of living expenses per year for 5 years. You start on about £23k as a junior doctor. The starting salary for a consultant is £72k after 19 years of training and numerous exams. The mean age of appointment is 37. The job comes with high levels of personal stress and ever decreasing control. You'll be working 44 hours per week (to start with although that will increase when you are in post). About 6 of which will be outside of 7am-7pm each week with you taking it in turns to work at the weekend about once every 6 weeks.

My registrar (in training to be a consultant) earns less than her half sister who has 3 GCSE and sells insurance. So being a trainee isn't much cop either.

The final issue is that basically your main employment is for a monopoly state employer.

Outside of London and the south east there is negligible private practice for most. Even then only 25% of UK consultants do any.

Interestingly an established consultant in their 40's working 48-52 hours per week will earn about £100k. This is commensurate with the boundary between the top 2 and 3% of earners in the country. Matching roughly the academic abilities of the average school leaver that enters medical school.

As for a 4x single salary mortgage I think you'd be mad, but maybe that's why I don't have a house!

Thanks for that very informative answer. Sounds like you'd better enjoy it rather than any financial motive.

I think anyone taking on 4 times their salary is daft, too, but I know people who've borrowed a lot more than that.