House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SHERWICK

How To Make Quince Jam Or Jelly?

Anyone know please?

The Internet may provide the answer, Mr Sherwick! that is just so Elizabethan of you :blink:! Not a popular fruit nowadays! When I was a young bloke the neighbours had a quince tree. I have never seen one since.

The Internet may provide the answer, Mr Sherwick! that is just so Elizabethan of you :blink:! Not a popular fruit nowadays! When I was a young bloke the neighbours had a quince tree. I have never seen one since.

This is the internet... isn't it?

:/

Anyone know please?

http://www.eatweeds.co.uk/hawthorn-jelly-recipe/comment-page-1#comment-1649

This is what I done, but make sure you actually reach the jell point or you end up with hawthorn sauce :unsure:

Also, that recipe understates the amount of water needed. It needs to be wet enough that water can drip out.

Edit - there's also no needs to remove stalks etc. Just bung everything in.

Sarah Bell is your guru.

Paging Sarah Bell, Sarah Bell to the forum please.

I have a similar query but to avoid hijacking your thread Sherwick I will start another one.

I have a quince tree! A beautiful tree in its own right as well as providing a bounty of fruit.

That's what you think! This is the back end of the Internet, where the unwise exchange strange rumours! ;)

I have a quince tree! A beautiful tree in its own right as well as providing a bounty of fruit.

What do you do with them Mr Stug? do you make Jam? :(

Sarah Bell is your guru.

Paging Sarah Bell, Sarah Bell to the forum please.

I have a similar query but to avoid hijacking your thread Sherwick I will start another one.

Never made it. Have read about it on t'internet though.

I do know where a quince tree is but suspect there are none left on it.

Never made it. Have read about it on t'internet though.

I do know where a quince tree is but suspect there are none left on it.

Frank won't be your husband now, if you can't make quince jelly. ;)

I made quince jelly once but I think I got the recipe from a book & not from the internet. I found it pretty easy - quinces are quite high in pectin (as long as they are not overripe) so the jelly set well. I also have a juice extractor which made things easier. I'll try to find the recipe tonight (if I remember)

Quince Jelly

4lbs quinces

6 pints water

sugar.

-wash and chop fruit roughly

-place in a large pan with 5 pints of water

-cover and simmer over low heat until soft, about an hour

-when soft, press fruit with the back of a spoon or mash slightly

-ladle fruit and juice into a muslin cloth or jelly bag and leave to drip for 30 mins

-remove pulp from bag and return to pan with the other pint of water, simmer for 30 mins

-strain a second time

-measure all the juice into clean pan and for every pint of juice add 1lb of granulated sugar

-cook over a low heat stirring until all sugar dissolved, then bring to the boil and boil rapidly until setting point is reached about 15 to 20 mins or until temperature reached 105c / 220f

-skim scum from surface leave to cool for a few mins, pour into sterilised jars

When quinces ripen they can lose some of their pectin (setting quality) so if ripe a bit of lemon juice can be added along with the water, optional. ;)

Thanks Winkie et al.

I don't think I can be bothered with all that effort!

Yes you can! It is fun, and it makes all the the clothes fall of the kvinnen, as they say in Norsk land! :blink:

Thanks Winkie et al.

....pop to the shop and ask for quince cheese/membrillo.....and a large lump of manchego. ;)

Thanks Winkie et al.

Really, give it a go.

Its one of the most rewardingly creative things you can do and its mostly hands-off work. Plus you dont have to peel, core, or in any way prepare the fruit.

Chuck it in. Boil it. Strain it. Boil it.

Job done!

Making jam is a pain in the neck but well worth it.

Have just thrown a pudding together with a very thin hge wrap, grated apple and blackberry jam.

Making jam is a pain in the neck but well worth it.

Have just thrown a pudding together with a very thin hge wrap, grated apple and blackberry jam.

Sarah, you sound like a funny lady! Good job we never met, I would never fit in my car again, after all those pies, would I? ;)

Sarah, you sound like a funny lady! Good job we never met, I would never fit in my car again, after all those pies, would I? ;)

Lol

Maybe. There is always a risk in this rainy weather that inot enough allotmentng gets done to work off calories...

It's the ice cream with strawberry jam that'd burst the calorie limit though :)

Lol

Maybe. There is always a risk in this rainy weather that inot enough allotmentng gets done to work off calories...

It's the ice cream with strawberry jam that'd burst the calorie limit though :)

How is your secret relationship with Frank the trucker? Not very secret now is it? :huh:

Are you green with envy?

No! I'm hardly green at all! All my cars are V8s :blink::lol: