House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
CrashIsUnderWay

Dollar At 2 Year High

... they can smell blood in the water now folks.

The useless a*rselickers at the BOE might be able to keep the lid on it till January, but after that, its...

UP UP and AWAY!!!!!!

Anyone mortgaged more that 4 times income and is gonna be in REAL sh*te by the middle of 2006, unless they have locked down a fix!!!

Start saving now, bulls. u r gonna need it!

(PS Charlie - looks like u will finally start earning some decent interest on your savings!)

The MPC is now caught in a real bind. Consumer spending decreases and house prices fall, but they can't lower rates (or shouldn't) because of sterling.

BTW, seeing as the greenback has strengthened, why is gold continuing to rise? I thought there was a link between the two....

The MPC is now caught in a real bind. Consumer spending decreases and house prices fall, but they can't lower rates (or shouldn't) because of sterling.

BTW, seeing as the greenback has strengthened, why is gold continuing to rise? I thought there was a link between the two....

..and why is the dollar gaining strength in the first place? Does the recent M3 announcement not bother the markets? Puzzles me. :blink:

I don't think there's a chance I will ever enter the currency markets. Completely beyond me I guess.

[
quote name='Plastic Elastic' date='Nov 21 2005, 07:38 PM' post='238569]

..and why is the dollar gaining strength in the first place? Does the recent M3 announcement not bother the markets? Puzzles me. :blink:

I don't think there's a chance I will ever enter the currency markets. Completely beyond me I guess.

It's weird. Without wishing to blow my own trumpet, I'm not too bad when it comes to the stock market. Thinking I could replicate this success, I set about trading the FX last autumn, not exotic currencies, just the usual stuff. I don't mind admitting I lost a lot of money, astonishingly quickly as my positions become eroded so rapidly.

Looking on the upside, it's taught me a valuable lifetime lesson. I will never, however tempted, trade the FX again. It's the quickest and surest way to lose one's shirt.

G_D, I've come over in a hot flush just recalling those heady 6 weeks. Time for a lie down, methinks.

Edited by shermanator

It's weird. Without wishing to blow my own trumpet, I'm not too bad when it comes to the stock market. Thinking I could replicate this success, I set about trading the FX last autumn, not exotic currencies, just the usual stuff. I don't mind admitting I lost a lot of money, astonishingly quickly as my positions become eroded so rapidly.

Looking on the upside, it's taught me a valuable lifetime lesson. I will never, however tempted, trade the FX again. It's the quickest and surest way to lose one's shirt.

Indeed, Forex is a very fast way to lose money, the market is full of very smart traders and there are an equal number of dodgy Forex brokers out there with dubious spreads, but it seems like I can't tell you anything that you don't already know :)

In many respects it's the opposite of the metals market, forex is very liquid even bigger than equities.

does there need to be one?.there wasn't with houses was there!!!

future inflation and economic uncertainty are the two main drivers,but take a look at Dr Bubbs dow/gold index graph....this is truly fascinating.

and I've loaded up with a bit more of the stuff today...ok $487 is a bit steep short term but i have a feeling it will be a very good play given a couple of years(if I have read that chart right it is up up and away for AT LEAST 5 years)

Speculation, as Russia may double it's gold reserves!

Oh, and it's shiny...

Indeed, Forex is a very fast way to lose money, the market is full of very smart traders and there are an equal number of dodgy Forex brokers out there with dubious spreads, but it seems like I can't tell you anything that you don't already know :)

In many respects it's the opposite of the metals market, forex is very liquid even bigger than equities.

i'm crap with equities but ok with Forex - the best advice i was given was never have a view and never takes sides - put simply, follow the trend - if the trend changes, change with it

and cut any losses pdq as they can escalate fast

i'm crap with equities but ok with Forex - the best advice i was given was never have a view and never takes sides - put simply, follow the trend - if the trend changes, change with it

and cut any losses pdq as they can escalate fast

good advice for sure.those in the city know the "trend is your friend" adage pretty well.

shame joe public doesn't......maybe not.

they'll be easy pickings at the bottom.

So how do I buy some dollars then?? (apart from going down to thomas cooks!!)

depends what u mean by 'buy some dollars' and how many you want

if you just want to buy dolars across the board, you could buy the 'dollar index' with a spread firm (i use IG Index) - this is a basket of currencies traded against the dollar

if you have a view of one particular currency you could just trade the dollar against it - again, i use IG

decide on your strategy first though - personally i won't take any more than a 30 pip loss on a forex deal - you may have seen the £ fall against the $ by 250 pips in one afternoon recently - you don't want to be on the wrong end of that

also, be very aware of the data that can change the way the market moves - early trade in the UK starts around 7 and usually defines an initial direction - there is then often economic data in the uk and europe at 8.30 CETand 9.30 over here - the us data usually kicks in at 1.30 p.m. our time but also sometimes at 3 p.m.

watch out for false trends, often seen just after 1.30 - it can last for up to 30 mins before the market decides the initial trend was wrong and reverses quite violently

hope that helps

good advice for sure.those in the city know the "trend is your friend" adage pretty well.

shame joe public doesn't......maybe not.

they'll be easy pickings at the bottom.

As a mate of mine said:

"show me the trend and I'll make it my friend"

It's harder than that! Where is the trend; is it the 1 day, the weekly the monthly or yearly? By the time you see it, it's usually too late. Similarly by the time you've identified your exit, the reverse in price has eaten your profit. Add gearing to that and inexperience and it's a recipie for disaster.

Edited by Foobar

In the aftermath of the loose money era of the late 70s, the US endured historic deficits both fiscally, and in terms of trade.

Between 1982 and 1985 massive deficits and rising interest rates meant a powerfully rising dollar. Seems counter-intuative?

Fact: The US had to force other countries to sell dollars in 1984.

... they can smell blood in the water now folks.

The useless a*rselickers at the BOE might be able to keep the lid on it till January, but after that, its...

UP UP and AWAY!!!!!!

Anyone mortgaged more that 4 times income and is gonna be in REAL sh*te by the middle of 2006, unless they have locked down a fix!!!

Start saving now, bulls. u r gonna need it!

(PS Charlie - looks like u will finally start earning some decent interest on your savings!)

£ is only down against $............NOt v euro ,Yen etc.......

If you are going to trade forex then I very strongly suggest that you learn to trade currencies no matter which way they are going rather than forming a view (eg. Pound is going down) and trading that. Those doing the latter tend to lose rather a lot to those doing the former.

As for why gold is rising, it tends to rise when the market smells future inflation. So it's suggesting a worldwide rise in inflation which ought to keep some upwards pressure on interest rates for a while yet (though there will be ups and downs along the way). :)